Someone Help Me Mod

you forgot the modding support himself, @Drotten :wink:

as i’ve mentioned in the past, while i can do basic modding stuff, i’m horrible at explaining it… so i’ll leave this up to Drotten and the rest…

Ah, i did not forget his presence!
I simply owe him too many favors that i am hesitant to summon him!

2 Likes

@R34P3R28, I’d recommend to start with the easy things until you have enough knowledge about the structure of the game.

Here GitHub - stonehearth/startermod_basic: A most basic starter mod to get you going! and here GitHub - stonehearth/startermod_items: a sample mod showing how to create different types of items are some basic mods that you can modify to learn to add entities like furniture, decoration, armor, with their recipes.

Change the .smod extension to .zip and extract the folder to see the files of the game. You can study how the different parts of the game are and try to add your own versions on your own mod.

So far people is able to add new biomes, new races, new monsters (and encounters), new craftables, new jobs, modify the UI… But some things are tricky than others, and / or still need more modding support to avoid overriding files.

About programs, you’ll need some voxel editor for making the models (like Qubicle or MagicaVoxel), a 3D program (like Blender or 3DS Max) if you plan to add animations, and of course, a text editor.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, I will do my best and give modding a try.If there’s anything I need help with I will post here.

Are there any free (value and virus wise) text editors?

1 Like

i use sublime, which can be “downloaded and evaluated” for free, there’s currently no time limit to the evaluation… but if you use sublime and like it, you should probably be nice and purchase it to support those who are developing it…

If you’re going to edit .json, I highly recommend Notepad++. It’s free. The latest version has json syntax highlighting. Alternative color scheme can be picked here:

1 Like

I can’t say much about modding, but if you’re looking for a text editor give Atom a try. It’s free and built/used by the guys behind GitHub.

I am currently using MagicaVoxel and Sublime. I’m making ore golems that when killed will drop lots of ore depending on the type of golem it is (iron, gold, etc).

1 Like

I would also like to suggest voxelshop. I use MagicaVoxel to create my voxels as I find its UI easier to use for that. Voxelshop is great for making sure your voxels are centered and facing the correct way.

1 Like

You can have a look through Bastioneers mod. If you have questions on particular aspects of modding I’ll probably be able to help you out, and I’d love to try :slight_smile:

Does magicaVoxel support matrixes?
If you need animating (say, your model is unique from any other in the game and you re-use any animations and skeletons) you need matrixes

If it doesn’t then you’ll have to purchase Qubicle(or, again, whatever it’s called in steam) and use it, since matrixes are absolutely essential for animation

Stuff for blender is free, so don’t worry on that part(though animating itself may be a little challenging)

no it doesn’t (it’s one downside)

actually, there is a free alternative to qubicle, voxelshop, it supports multi-matrix things, it’s what i use for my armor and such. and while i used to have a few problems with it, since i updated to the latest version all those problems seem to have disappeared.

2 Likes

I’ve downloaded Voxelshop, should i discontinue the use of MagicaVoxel if I like Voxelshop better? Or is there certain benefits from the programs?

As i mentioned eralier, you NEED a program that supports multiple matrixes in order to animate a creature otherwise you’d be stuck with a static object moving (no limbs or separately moving parts)

So you need a program that has that feature
With each moving part having its own matrix

It’s possible to use programs with no matrix support if you’re making something super simple that doesn’t need anything moving independently from one another like how the poyo babies are

But you need something like qubicle or voxelshop to make something even moderately complex

1 Like

I was searching and studying other mods and I came across humans and monsters and noticed that they’re arms and occasionally hands would be a separate limb, unattached to the body. Is that necessary for all models?

I’m in the process of a mod, Ore Golems. I have created them with VoxelShop. I noticed there were layers like Photoshop, a software I am familar with. I used the layers (Legs, Head, and Body) as a way to separate the parts, in case they are to be tampered with later on.

multiple matrixes are only required for things that need animations, so stuff like armor, creatures, etc.

anything that is static, like chairs, weapons, etc. do not need multiple matrixes.

Okay.

Is it necessary for human/monster models to have floating/unattached limbs? Or is that just to make the animations look smooth?

if you’re making custom anims i don’t believe it matters, but i know next to nothing about animating so @Hyrule_Symbol will need to confirm that

I’m assuming you mean one of two things

1. Where the model has a seperate matrix and has a model part that is physically unattached from another part (say, a gap)

2. Where the model’s part is physically attached to another, but has a different matrix (like the shoulders of the hearthlings)

For ‘1’ no, it isn’t necessary to have the part physically away from another part, but it helps make the model feel like a part of the game(with vanilla models having it) and it helps ignore some unneeded detail and makes them look more stubby and cute,
It also helps in animating since the added distance may help you move it without having to worry about trying to move something like an arm accordingly to a hand

In the case of ‘2’ yes, even if it is close with the model, you need it to have a different matrix as it will allow the part to rotate or move (unless it doesn’t have to move or rotate) just like how te shoulders of the hearthlings are, but it isn’t necessary to have it attached either, if it is a part that is stuck to another, then yes you do, but if it’s something that can bare being unattached, you may as well do it since it will help in some cases of animating

3 Likes

It may be my rubber ducky syndrome speaking, but I’ve found Magica to be more user-friendly, especially in terms of reusing the palette. If one can make a model in Magica, then use VoxelShop to “slice” it into matrices, I could use this trick myself.

2 Likes