Ring of Speed for Workers

Hello Everyone,

This is my first mod. I’ll ramble below about how this came to be but for those just looking for more mods, here are the details…

Mod Name: vel_equipment
Supported Version: A16
What does it do: Adds a craftable ring for the Worker job that gives a boost of 100 speed.
Known issues: The model is off a block visually on the female model. I can’t see how to fix it as they have the same finger size. If anyone wants to take a shot, let me know if you have a fixed _female model!

Recipe Requirements:
Item Name:Ring of Speed
Job: Blacksmith
Job Level: 5
Resources: 4 Gold Ore, 1 Steel Ingot, 1 Strength Tonic
Made for class: Worker
Item does: Adds buff of +100 stamina to a Worker

Where to download: GitHub - vel-github/vel_equipment: Stonehearth mod for additional equipment.
Drop the folder into your /mod directory or download as zip, rename to .smod and copy that file to Stonehearth’s /mod folder.

I want to add more items to this mod otherwise the name is just a bit narcissistic. My coloring choices were degrees of gold to add some depth and the orange in the center would be like a solidified fusion of gold and the strength potion. Rationale behind this is if the pure form of the strength potion increases muscle, then the addition of metal augments it for speed with gold giving the highest boost.

Some ramblings… I started this mod as a means to learn how modding works in Stonehearth as well as creating voxel items. My thought processes when I started down this rabbit hole was that I wanted to have my workers mine faster. After reading through a number of files, I couldn’t see an easy way to do that but I’m still learning. Through this process, I stumbled across the carrying speed debuff and I thought about creating an item that changed that debuff into a buff.

I got pretty far into my carrying speed buff. I had an item, a pair of gloves, which I “borrowed” from the Magasmith gloves:

        

Pretty good recoloring of the Magmasmith glove but two of them for the worker to give the image of a strength boost from the gloves.

I tried to use the mixinto to as a means to modify the carrying debuff only if the worker had the gloves equipped. I couldn’t get this to work. I think it has to do with the carry block component calling up the carrying buff and my mixinto being added on the item; they simply don’t play nice that way. I abandoned this path as my goal here was to create a simple mod, not a complex one; I’ll probably circle back to this attempt eventually.

So I have these cool gloves, added them to the game and…floating. Right, I know this one I can fix it… or not. Limitation of my tools and a cold realization that I need many separate layers to get all the fingers to move properly. Gloves shelved as I need to learn VoxelShop better for this – which I did a few days later.

I tried making some arm bands, but those just didn’t feel right for a speed boost. Since I was rewatching all of the Hobbit I figured why not a ring?! Those aren’t in the game yet and I found a note about binding an equipment piece to the finger12 bone. Yeah, this sounds awesome, lets do this!

Ring made. check. Binding to bone…nope. Syntax issue perhaps? Tried a bunch of variations…nope. All right, dirty cheating time! Made it a clothing item, merged with model aaannnd… naked hearthlings. whoops! Eventually sorted out that I needed the “armor” layer and the “accessory” slot.

Success! The ring appears on the hearthling’s finger right where I want it. I later changed the layer from finger12 to finger 11 as I felt it should be closer to the hand even with their stubby fingers.

100 might be too fast but I sit at speed 3 or 4 most times waiting for stuff to happen and it’s hilarious watching these guys move. It doesn’t make them build or mine faster, only their movement speed gets a boost. I see this as more of an end-game buff saying “you already have everything, why make you wait for goodies.”

I also wanted to increase the workers backpack storage with a piece of equipment but no luck there. I’m content with the speed boost for now.

A question for other modders or Radiant folk: Is it possible to change mining speed or backpack size? I think for the backpack size I may have to borrow from the trapper and create an ability for now but that’s not ideal for my goal. I can see myself making a worker class that levels up as I usually commit two or three folks to that job anyways so why not allow them to get smarter? :wink:

For mining speed, workshop items have work units so would mining have a similar value somewhere that I can’t find? Maybe durability like tree’s?

Thanks for reading my wordy post. I like the little community we have here. Let me know what you think of the mod if you use it.

6 Likes

Here’s an in-game shot of the ring on a hearhtling:

When I initially posted this, I noticed the ring was rotated incorrectly which I fixed and pushed to github.

1 Like

alpha 17 error when looking at item in blacksmith item is uncraftable
release-566 (x64)[M]
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘entity_data’ of undefined
TypeError: Cannot read property ‘entity_data’ of undefined
at App.StonehearthTeamCrafterView.App.View.extend.preview (http://radiant/stonehearth/ui/game/show_workshop/show_team_workshop.js:724:52)
at App.StonehearthTeamCrafterView.App.View.extend.actions.select (http://radiant/stonehearth/ui/game/show_workshop/show_team_workshop.js:374:21)
at Mixin.create.send (http://radiant/stonehearth/ui/root/js/libs/ember-1.8.1.js:29900:41)
at runRegisteredAction (http://radiant/stonehearth/ui/root/js/libs/ember-1.8.1.js:20168:27)
at Object.Backburner.run (http://radiant/stonehearth/ui/root/js/libs/ember-1.8.1.js:186:27)
at run (http://radiant/stonehearth/ui/root/js/libs/ember-1.8.1.js:18225:29)
at Object.handleRegisteredAction [as handler] (http://radiant/stonehearth/ui/root/js/libs/ember-1.8.1.js:20166:11)
at HTMLDivElement. (http://radiant/stonehearth/ui/root/js/libs/ember-1.8.1.js:38726:27)
at HTMLBodyElement.jQuery.event.dispatch (http://radiant/stonehearth/ui/root/js/libs/jquery-1.10.2.js:5095:9)
at HTMLBodyElement.elemData.handle (http://radiant/stonehearth/ui/root/js/libs/jquery-1.10.2.js:4766:46)

error when loading game (at main menu)
release-566 (x64)[M]
c++ exception: ‘vel_equipment’ has no alias named ‘armor:ring_of_speed’ in the manifest.
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'load_json’
radiant/modules/resources.lua:33: in function ‘load_json’
…nehearth/services/server/job/job_info_controller.lua:206: in function ‘_initialize_recipe_data’
…nehearth/services/server/job/job_info_controller.lua:188: in function ‘_build_craftable_recipe_list’
…nehearth/services/server/job/job_info_controller.lua:89: in function 'activate’
radiant/modules/common.lua:503: in function ‘create_controller’
…earth/services/server/job/player_jobs_controller.lua:32: in function ‘_ensure_job_id’
…earth/services/server/job/player_jobs_controller.lua:40: in function 'get_job’
stonehearth/services/server/job/job_service.lua:50: in function ‘get_job_info’
…ices/server/crafter_info/crafter_info_controller.lua:24: in function 'post_activate’
radiant/modules/common.lua:506: in function ‘create_controller’
…ervices/server/crafter_info/crafter_info_service.lua:15: in function ‘add_crafter_info’
…ervices/server/crafter_info/crafter_info_service.lua:11: in function 'fn’
radiant/modules/events.lua:224: in function <radiant/modules/events.lua:221>
[C]: in function 'xpcall’
radiant/modules/common.lua:257: in function 'xpcall’
radiant/modules/events.lua:221: in function ‘trigger’
…tonehearth/services/server/player/player_service.lua:63: in function ‘add_player’
…vices/server/game_creation/game_creation_service.lua:38: in function <…vices/server/game_creation/game_creation_service.lua:37>

release-566 (x64)[M]
@stonehearth/services/server/job/job_info_controller.lua:207: Crafter job stonehearth:jobs:blacksmith has a recipe named “armor:ring_of_speed” that produces an item not in the manifest vel_equipment:armor:ring_of_speed
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/common.lua:237: in function 'report_traceback’
radiant/modules/common.lua:456: in function ‘verify’
…nehearth/services/server/job/job_info_controller.lua:207: in function ‘_initialize_recipe_data’
…nehearth/services/server/job/job_info_controller.lua:188: in function ‘_build_craftable_recipe_list’
…nehearth/services/server/job/job_info_controller.lua:89: in function 'activate’
radiant/modules/common.lua:503: in function ‘create_controller’
…earth/services/server/job/player_jobs_controller.lua:32: in function ‘_ensure_job_id’
…earth/services/server/job/player_jobs_controller.lua:40: in function 'get_job’
stonehearth/services/server/job/job_service.lua:50: in function ‘get_job_info’
…ices/server/crafter_info/crafter_info_controller.lua:24: in function 'post_activate’
…ervices/server/crafter_info/crafter_info_service.lua:15: in function ‘add_crafter_info’
…tonehearth/services/server/player/player_service.lua:63: in function ‘add_player’
…vices/server/game_creation/game_creation_service.lua:38: in function <…vices/server/game_creation/game_creation_service.lua:37>

(this may not be part of your mod, cant really tell)
release-566 (x64)[M]
…ices/server/crafter_info/crafter_info_controller.lua:39: attempt to index field ‘product_info’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/common.lua:237: in function 'report_traceback’
radiant/modules/common.lua:248: in function <radiant/modules/common.lua:242>
…ices/server/crafter_info/crafter_info_controller.lua:39: in function 'post_activate’

How to install?
Description is not clear

Hey there @belousov, welcome to the Discourse :smiley:. The instructions on “installing” this are up in the first post. However, this mod is out of date and will not work in Alpha 18 or 19. @Velerin will need to update it…

1 Like

Mod is outdated, please update.

1 Like

question, can you add stuff like strengh rings? or intelligence, that would be cool xD

1 Like

the recipe is not there.

The mod is currently outdated, meaning it will not work, modding is a charity of talent and time, so we’ll have to wait to see if the creator decides to update it or not

Sorry for the inconvenience