[Dev Blog] Beware the Nights of Candledark, Our First Holiday Mod!

Right, this explains everything really!
Can confirm that the game is launchable with just the .smod :slight_smile: Sorry for any confusion and/or inconvenience.

1 Like

I see. I basicly skipped the installation of mods part because I have installed mods at least 100 times myself already. Lessons learned. :smile:

1 Like

Oh awesome! Thatā€™s really good to know. Thanks!

2 Likes

I never actually got to the 3rd day what ends up happening? Iā€™d go play it right now, but I donā€™t have timeā€¦

You can head over to the Candledark Screenshot thread (spoilers!) if you really want to know :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Really excited to try this! But I have to wait until Tuesdayā€¦

Llaaaaammmmeeee. :frowning:

2 Likes

Thought Iā€™d mention that this will still run in Peaceful mode, the old man shows up and so do the skeletons.

3 Likes

makes it a not so peaceful gameā€¦ Welcome to Halloween MUWHAHAHAHA

2 Likes

Sadly I donā€™t have any time to play this right now, but I want to say thanks for the code comments.
Took a short look inside the scenario and this will help a lot in the future :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@paulsoaresjr takes a crack at Candledark! :smile: :+1:

3 Likes

Yo, Iā€™ve played this mod with three different save files (each started specifically for the mod), and Iā€™ve never been able to fully complete it. I usually have at least one soldier and a bunch of pumpkin wards around my living area. The skeletons come out and everybody has fun, until a red error pops up in-game (donā€™t have the exact error info now, but I can take a look and drop it into this post), then the skeletons stop moving. My guys whack the skeletons until all their heart-points are drained, but the skeletons donā€™t die, they just keep standing there, and my guys keep whacking them. Placing a pumpkin ward next to the glitched skellies doesnā€™t do anything. Anyone has any idea what I can do?

Are you playing on the unstable branch? This mod is only compatible with the stable Alpha 5.

No sir, Iā€™ve rolled back to 150. Unstable branch doesnā€™t even start with this mod.

1 Like

I had to delete the steam version 1687 Stonehearth folder, something stays if you just do a rollback and makes the game not start

My game starts fine, thoughā€¦ itā€™s just that the modā€™s skeletons start breaking later into the game.

If anyone is still watching, here is the relevant screenshot:

http://puu.sh/cv1xc/1c4343d2ac.jpg

Edit: I was finally able to kill all the skeletons by reloading earlier in the night, before the eve had begun. My soldiers are both wusses, so they ended up running back to the settlement, where my considerable amount of pumpkin wards made a short job of any skeletons incoming. It seems that the error only happens when thereā€™s combat between NPCs, and not direct damage from pumpkin wards.

Another edit: Wave 2 was fine, and wave 3 ended up with the same error as seen above, except duplicated maybe 20 times. Disregard what I said about pumpkin wards not triggering this issue; it seems that they do. I am still unable to finish the mod. Iā€™m going to delete all my Stonehearth files and re-install the game without opting in to unstable.

2 Likes

Hey @SVGray, this is a problem with combat in general, and not just local to Candledark, unfortunately. It happens with goblins, too. Weā€™re still looking into it. Your best bet is to save/reload and sometimes, that resets the AI sufficiently to fix it.

1 Like

After playing the mod, I have to say I enjoyed the new sort of mini-game playstyle. For my next attempt, Iā€™m likely going to try some added challenges, like ā€œno perimeter walls to the settlement (only houses)ā€, ā€œno soldiersā€, or maybe ā€œbuild X number of structuresā€.

What excites me is the prospect of yearly updates to the mod conceptā€™s design, building off new material for next yearā€¦maybe?

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering if Candledark can be updated to run with steam version 1687? Goblins donā€™t transform into mini bunkers, we have a measuring grid for building, and generally more stable (except for the sudden closing heh)

1 Like

Hopefully it will run with whatever next build we release. Thereā€™s so much stuff in flight that itā€™s hard to go back to 1687.

5 Likes