[Dev Blog] Beware the Nights of Candledark, Our First Holiday Mod!

http://stonehearth.net/2014/10/27/beware-the-nights-of-candledark-our-first-holiday-mod/
looks cool about to try it!

9 Likes

hmm… i dunno…

New craftable lanterns and a micro-adventure

sold! :smile: :+1:

edit: bonus!

Modders, we’re shipping Candledark as full, un-minified, and commented source code!

3 Likes

I’m going to have to look into this later this week…

1 Like

If anyone has any questions about the mod, the code, etc, let us know :smiley:

5 Likes

The mod does not work in .smod, you need to extract it first.
And I got an assertion error right when the 3rd night started.
Had several pumpkin candles standing to survive the onslaught (edit: I think it is an onslaught :smile:) .

2 Likes

Could you explain @Miturion ? Is this the cause that when I click play on steam it just doesn’t open the game anymore? Only with the mod in it, and the game is up to date.

Yes it is. extract it first and the game will start.

Hmm yes! Manually opening the .smod in winrar and extracting the folder to the mod folder did the trick! (I’m just rephrasing what you told us!) Thanks @Miturion

2 Likes

Ah yes, that is a better explanation :smile:
Great effort on the mod thought @sdee

2 Likes

This is very strange to us! Can we dig down a bit on this? Here at the office, we can drop candledark.smod straight into our mods folder and have the game run just fine (both Humble Bundle installer download and Steam regular/stable branch):

Is there anything else in your mods folder? Is the stonehearth mod unzipped?

I’m glad you figured out how to make it work; just trying to root-cause the behavior. :wink:

Hm, that’s too bad. What did the assert say? Did the mod progress?

1 Like

Unfortunateley it came too quick and too sudden that I forgot to check. It was basicly a CTD.

1 Like

Ouch :stuck_out_tongue: Time to check the crash reporter! In the meantime, did reloading work at all?

Hey there @sdee I’ll provide a screenshot of how my modfolder is looking right now! As to the assertion fail! I had it as well on night 3!

I can try to get to the 3rd night again for a second time, see if I’ll crash then!
Unfortunately I can’t really get more info about why it won’t run with candledark as SMOD. It simply won’t open! I can press play on steam all I want but it won’t execute (it’s not visible in task manager either)

1 Like

Out of curiosity, are you guys playing the steam build? On latest? Or on vanilla Alpha5?

2 Likes

I am on latest build, as in the beta opt in from steam. Also no other mods.
Got this error. This time I got the error when I placed my first pumpin candle.

And in the log this repeats at the end:

2014-Oct-27 20:12:43.029596 | server | 1 | items to restock (bfs)(dst 403531) | (Entity 403531 Pumpkin Basket) is not in world.  Cannot use as destination in pathfinder!
2014-Oct-27 20:12:43.795640 | server | 1 | items to restock (bfs)(dst 405720) | (Entity 405720 Pumpkin Ward  (iconic)) is not in world.  Cannot use as destination in pathfinder!
2014-Oct-27 20:12:46.505795 | server | 1 | items to restock (bfs)(dst 403957) | (Entity 403957 Pumpkin Basket) is not in world.  Cannot use as destination in pathfinder!
2014-Oct-27 20:12:46.843814 | client | 0 |                renderer.renderer | failed to load render resource /candledark/data/particles/pumpkin_ward/pumpkin_ward_glow.cubemitter.json
2014-Oct-27 20:12:46.843814 | client | 0 |                renderer.renderer | failed to load render resource /candledark/data/particles/pumpkin_ward/pumpkin_ward_fire.cubemitter.json
2014-Oct-27 20:12:46.844814 | client | 0 |                              app | Assertion Failed: false(..\..\..\..\source\client\renderer\renderer.cpp:1576)
2014-Oct-27 20:12:47.371844 | server | 2 |                          network | server allocating new send buffer (total: 0)    
2014-Oct-27 20:12:58.576485 | server | 1 | items to restock (bfs)(dst 405898) | (Entity 405898 Pumpkin Basket) is not in world.  Cannot use as destination in pathfinder!
    2014-Oct-27 20:12:58.617487 | server | 2 |
1 Like

But, aren’t you supposed to play with the release 150?

2 Likes

Aha, Candledark only runs on build 150, which is the stable, vanilla version of Stonehearth. Go back to the steam Stable branch, and it should work there.

Yes, this. :slight_smile:

Edit: We wanted to make candledark run on latest also, in addition to stable, but our current build here at the office has so much crazy in it right now that it was easier to patch A5 than to push another unstable build.

3 Likes

Ah. Now I see. My bad. :blush:

1 Like

Ah right! Yeah I’m on the steam test version as well! Will go to the vanilla one and try again! (btw, I got the same error as @Miturion did!)

1 Like

Right; basically, until the patch to A5 you could only load cubemitter effects from the stonehearth mod. @not_owen_wilson and @Tom patched A5 so that mods could load effects from their own folders. So the error you’re seeing is the renderer freaking out and not finding the lights that appear at night.