[Con] SGT2/A1 Bug: Application doing nothing

I have tried running it as administrator even though my normal user account is also an Administrator. I shallall have to set up one and try it on a limited user account

1 Like

Just to add more information, I still have this problem even on the last couple patches that have come outā€¦ I cannot play this game at all on my main computerā€¦ I can on a laptop, but it plays like crap there and I would rather have it playing on the main computer.

Where can I file this bug officially or perhaps give more info? I know someone before said they would ā€œput this in the right handsā€ but I have seen a few forums for this game, and not sure what it the right place to be placing this content?

you are in the right place @Amerisun ā€¦ you listed your specs previously, but I wonder if you can share your graphics card as well? are all your drivers current, etc.?

once you provide that, perhaps @not_owen_wilson will be able to further investigate your particular situationā€¦

1 Like

Last few weeks I had 334.89 version of the NVidia drivers, but I just upgraded to 335.23 and still have the same issue. I have a GeForce GTX 670 running 1920 x 1080Ā§ (60.000Hz) with 4 gigs of RAM on the card. I doubt if I bought a 780 Ti Classified or something it would matter, although I probably will be in the next few weeks.

Every time it crashes I get a new dmp file, so here is the latest dmp file belowā€¦ it wonā€™t let me link to DropBox anymore (it used to?) so who / how can I link to my dmp file?

I try running it in steam, out of steam, with admin, without. Still same results, it doesnā€™t launch at allā€¦ just get a new dmp file.

Here is the last communication (below), it wouldnā€™t let me reply a third time for some reason, cause I guess I am new? But I am not new, I been on here a long time I just donā€™t write a lot. :smile:

Thank you Geoffers!

Dropbox link is below:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/364541/crash.dmp

1 Like

No worries :slight_smile:

Just flagging @not_owen_wilson to revisit this and see if anything in particular stands out?

1 Like

thanks for the follow-up!

since you mentioned Steam specifically, have you tried the HB version as well?

I think I found a few issues I would like to report, and I did some exhaustive testing and trying, I build software so I know enough to be dangerous. :wink: Hopefully this can help others.

Making it work:
1st - If I installed the application as a local account, it seemed to work fine under that local account. But if I then logged into my Microsoft Account (Windows Live Account) I couldnā€™t even use the application. It didnā€™t have permissions for me to even run the game, although I could look in the program files folder. It would seem the installer doesnā€™t set proper permissions for the install folder in some cases like this. (only on the HB installer)

2nd - If I installed it under my ā€œMicrosoft Accountā€ (using a Windows Live) it does have the right permissions, but the game was not working for me. If I switched back over to my local account, it didnā€™t have any permissions to run the application like in 1 before. (only on the HB installer)

3rd - I then ran a few procmon a few times and procdump, and tracked down a lot of false positives in registries not found, and other files that were not found ā€¦ then I found one that said it had a name collision (and when it seemed to crash) when it was creating a file in this location ā€œC:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-{LongGuidHere}ā€. Donā€™t want to put the GUID as seeing itā€™s cryptography and this is the internet and my computer. :wink: But inside that folder were 3 different files. When I deleted that whole folder above (all three) then the application worked fine. Then I did some more digging and found only one of those if I deleted let the application work fine.

So two issues I found were:

1. If you install the HB version as an account on a PC, only that account can run the application fine. You have to uninstall and re-install (or edit the C:\program files\ permissions) to allow the group ā€œUsersā€ the right access to run the application from that location. (note this only happens with the HB installer, Steam already has the correct right access in the Common folder, so I didnā€™t have this issue with the Steam install, I tried / tested both in all scenarios). Note that my local account is Administrator and my Windows Live account is not. This is so I have a good separation of power and I have to type a password to do anything, so as to keep myself as secure as you can with Windows. :smiley:

2. If there is a file in your Crypto RS folder that this software is looking for, and itā€™s corrupt or something is wrong with itā€¦ then Stonehearth will not launch anymore. I think perhaps the code could be changed to see if the file is there, and if itā€™s goodā€¦ and if not remove it and re-create it and I think you could solve everyoneā€™s problem with this possibly? Just an idea. Note also, I tried to rename the corrupted one to like _OLDCORUPTED at the endā€¦ but it still wouldnā€™t run until I either deleted the file, or moved it to another drive (which I did in case the developer wants to see the corrupted file).

After reading on the internet, this RSA problem is a common theme in software that uses this functionality, and users have posted that they have to remove the file all the time to get that software to work. I saw posts of people having to delete the folder each time before they launch the application, but that doesnā€™t seem to be the case here in Stonehearth, once I delete it once it runs fine after that. So I am sure there is a way around this.

5 Likes

wow @Amerisun, really nice sleuthing youā€™ve done here! 2 internet points for you my good manā€¦ :smile:

paging @sdee and I suppose @Ponder to pour over this wealth of informationā€¦

4 Likes

Thanks for the awesome error report @Amerisun! Iā€™m fixing the crypto issues now.

3 Likes

Ok, we just upgraded to a new version of the installer that correctly identifies Windows 8.1 (which may have been part of the permissions problem). To clarify the installation settings (non-Steam), the game will install for all users if the user is administrator, otherwise it will install per user.

Thanks again @Amerisun for the fantastic information! Let us know if the next build works for you.

2 Likes

I can verify that R80 has finally allowed me to start the alpha and play it! Good work, people! Was it the permissions/crypto stuff above? What a hard to find bug! I have replied to the Stonehearth Guru thread on this issue as well. Would like to know if the others having this issue have leapt this hurdle as well.

2 Likes

Yes, Iā€™m sure with this update more people will get the game to run. We must confirm which ones although I donā€™t know if it would be possible to mark some threads as resolved; itā€™s important to keep an eye on them.

1 Like

Changing the tag to [Res] would probably be it, we could always create another subcategory for Resolved bugs, that would help clear the bug reports category of resolved issues and serve as a repository for people experiencing issues.

Thoughts @SteveAdamo?

aye, thatā€™s what we were doing previouslyā€¦ ideally, the sort by topic title option would group together the [tags], but that doesnā€™t appear to be the caseā€¦

but yeah, we could have two subcategories within support I supposeā€¦ something like Active Bug Reports (the current forum) and Resolved Bug Reports (proposed new forum to filter out the good stuff, and be used as the suggested repository)ā€¦ :smiley:

i know it seems painfully obvious where things would fall, but i suppose it might be somewhat confusing to new users? letā€™s see what @sdee thinks?

1 Like

Let me see if I understand thisā€“so bug reports would start in the Active category and then move to Resolved as they get fixed? That makes sense to me!

1 Like

Good stuff! @SteveAdamo am I missing a button or can we no longer create categories? Is it strictly an admin function now?

we should be able toā€¦ lemme seeā€¦

edit: wow, it does indeed appear to be missing nowā€¦ paging @system, @supermathieā€¦ help? :blush:

Creating categories is indeed an admin function now. We can enable a setting that will allow moderators to create categories. Iā€™ll do that now.

(However you can only edit categories that YOU createdā€¦)

3 Likes

thank you sir! :+1:

edit: this category has been renamedā€¦ and the new Resolved Bug Reports category is a go! :smiley:

iā€™m off for a bit, but @Geoffers747 and I can start moving stuff into the right spots nowā€¦ :+1:

1 Like