Writer’s Workshop Discussion. Cycle 2, Week 1

If you want to submit your stories then please head on over here.

This thread is for the discussion of everything related to this weeks theme and submitted stories. Be it a critique, suggestion, or just general chat about your favorite submission.

Also feel free to post other stories you were thinking of submitting or other ideas you had around this weeks theme.

1st one yay! cant wait to see what happens

1 Like

@blackArcher52 Maybe you want to add some paragraphs, for easier reading?

agreed… formatting goes a long way towards getting folks engaged to read… :smiley:

I am in the middle of 2 English GCSEs and predicted As and yet cannot even remember how to format with speech. :neutral_face:

The word limit was 600 words right? I just scraped it with 571 :smile:

@Smokestacks Yes, 600.

Regarding formating… I see it like this. You want people to read what you write. So better do it in an inviting manner. I am not able to speak for others than me, but if I see a “wall of text”, I will not read it (only if I have to). Basic formatting is not rocket science (just hit enter every now an then), but it might motivate one or the other to read your text.

Well it’s paragraphed, so I guess formatting is okay :smile:

Thanks @voxel_pirate and @SteveAdamo for the advice. i will take that into account for now on.

2 Likes

Formatting is much better now :smile:

thanks, your entry is much more enjoyable to read now! :+1:

I might take a week off this cycle O_o…who know’s, we will see

Well I am back in the game, lets see how good my piece scores.
Oh and I hunger for feedback - even if its negative it can only make me stronger, so hit me!

@SteveAdamo, perhaps you and @Geoffers747 should flog those who don’t enter or vote next week? :smile:

On a serious note, I think perhaps the lack of entrants is due to the fact that stories this long are kind of daunting. They see it and go “Woah, that looks huge” even though it only takes maybe half an hour to write. Same for voting; they just can’t be bothered reading it because they think it’ll take ages. So as much as it seriously grieves me and I myself wouldn’t want it, but for the good of the competition, maybe drop the word count? Perhaps not this cycle, but next cycle or something? And then bump it back up for the finals?

i understand your point, but the word count is a “cap”, not a requirement to be reached… if someone wants to submit a stellar 100 word snippet on the current week’s theme, then go for it! :smile:

Oh I know, it’s just that people don’t seem to know that it can be quite short. Maybe specify more clearly in the rules that they can? :smile:

absolutely… couldnt hurt to clarify! :smiley:

1 Like

sits eagerly awaiting @SteveAdamo to close the competition

next time i’ll make sure to get at least 1 like… some how… and not mine…

1 Like

apologies! im out of town this week, but i’ll get the competition closed, and launch the next… :blush:

1 Like