[Tut] Mac/Linux users, how to get Stonehearth from Steam (on your platform)

I’m glad this can be helpful. I for sure have had my fill of messing with Steam on VM for every little updates for my wine games…

2 Likes

When I launch the stonehearth.exe I get the music but the game screen is black

@saukawolf, welcome to the Discourse! Are you trying to launch Stonehearth on Mac/Linux, or on Windows?

Mac. Sorry for not saying so.

OK! I noticed you are also looking for Mac support (same issue it appears) over on this thread:
http://discourse.stonehearth.net/t/the-mac-version/12521?u=jomaxro
In order to avoid confusion and duplicate responses, please pick one of them to get support in, and remember that the Mac version is not officially supported at this time (everything you are doing is a “workaround”/“hack” :smile:)

2 Likes

@jomaxro @cookme

i have a similar problem… same issue but on linux 64 bit. any tips?

I’m not going to be much help here, have never attempted an install on Linux personally, and @cookme hasn’t been around since September. If you don’t mind waiting, I have my last final for the semester on Friday, should be able to test this out on a Linux install over the weekend, and I will see what I can find.

Just a friendly reminder, Linux and OS X are not supported (yet), so anything we get working can break at any time without warning.

2 Likes

Hmm, sorry, I don’t know why the black screen happens. I occasionally run into those sound-only black screens (maybe 1 in 5 launches) ever since many alphas ago, but it always works again after relaunching or after killing all-wine related processes.

Maybe check/post your “stonehearth.log” and see if there is anything odd in it?

2 Likes

@jomaxro thank you very much for your offer! and since I’m a linux user i’m used to waiting :smiley: especially when it’s not officially supported.

@cookme stonehearth.log says something about a fatal exception in memory stats… no idea what that could mean.
I’ve also looked at the wine crash report. It says “Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x0000001c in 32-bit code (0x10aa1d43)” in the first line.
I have attached them both. I’d be very grateful if you checked them out to see whether you can find anything.

stonehearth.log (3.9 KB)
backtrace.txt (13.8 KB)

and thanks to both of you for your fast answers :smile:

I don’t see “Navigate called without an existing browser!” in my logs, and no fatal memory error, of course.

No idea, maybe a dev will see the logs and figure something out?

1 Like

okay I see… anyways thanks for your time!

So… I was highly interested in this game and almost bought it until I noticed the Windows only thing. Am I understanding you correctly that the Devs are in deed ‘making’ a Mac version officially?

Hey there @Kitten2021, welcome to the Discourse!

You are correct, there are official Mac & Linux versions planned. The current is get the Windows version feature complete, then work to get the native versions for OS X and Linux working. That being said, there is no ETA yet.

I have the same problem, but i dont know what i have done wrong… can you explain what you did to fix it?

Hey there!
I tried the step by step guide here, however, when i run the created .app with winebottler, then I get the error “The program Stonehearth has encountered a serious problem and needs to close”, are there any prefixes which I have to set up before creating the .app with winebottler?
Thanks in advance :slightly_smiling_face:

Checkout this thread: The Mac version

Hi,

trying to use this method in 2018 with Stonehearth alpa 24, I’m running into a problem. I have a plain text .acf file with the correct name and the pasted code setup in the steamapps folder. Downloading in background have I also turned on but if I open steam nothing happens. Is this guide still working in 2018 or is there another way?

Thanks in advantage.

Right-click on the game name and choose “Properties.” Do “VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES” under the “LOCAL FILES” tab in the Properties window. This should force trigger the download process.

Man… you’re a real hero. I can’t describe how happy I am. Since I don’t have any knowledge about wine and all that stuff I’m really thankful for this forum.

Celebrated to early. :frowning:

After a couple of tries with no succes I decided to delete everything and followed the steps very precisely.
Everything is going good according to the steps but If I press on ‘Copy a Folder Inside’ and select the folder ‘Stonehearth’ I just get a white screen and it’s stuck. Then it shuts itself down and I get the Wineskin menu with the ‘Install software’ and all that kind of stuff. If I click on advanced I can see that the Windows EXE is correct; /Program Files/Stonehearth/Stonehearth.exe. If I run it, nothing happens and after one minute I get 2 logs:

LastRunX11.log (3.6 KB)
LastRunWine.log (1.7 KB)

I’m completly stuck… help :confounded:

Using:
Wine 1.7
Engine WS9Wine2.22
macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Trying A24.3? (not sure cause of Steam saying install latest and A24.3 now on Steam unstable)

Maybe wineskin is not compatible… site says: “Wineskin works on OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and later” but by downloads it’s only going to Yosemite 10.10. I really don’t know… help :confused: