Thoughts on Children and Population Growth

It is. entity:add_component('render_info'):set_scale(new_scale) - I’m using it in Jelly.Console+ for the set_scale command. If you’ve seen my sheep rave video, it’s also what I’m using to make the speaker appear “playing”.

1 Like

Well I guess in that case I kind of misunderstood. Maybe it would probably be best to leave the minimum voxel size the same as the human voxel size. the size of the children is right but the voxels look much too small.

What are children if not small humans in small clothes?

4 Likes

Just to add my 2 cents, two things were mentioned. A stork bringing children, and Cultures 2 way of handling babies/children/attacks on mothers with child/children/babies.

Cultures 2 babies were delivered by stork. :smile: (though i don’t see why this would make it not usable in Stonehearth, they certainly didn’t come up with the idea of a stork bringing babies)

2 Likes

I didn’t read all the replies, so sorry if what I propose has already been said. I like this game, I see a similarity with the game : Banished. If I have a suggestion to do with this topic, maybe the children could go to school. A child with education will produce faster and will live longer.

I hope my suggestion will be useful.

Thanks.

1 Like

It might be interesting to incorporate the Pre-Adult-But-Big-Enough-To-Help-Out stage into the Apprenticing Workers Concept. An undifferentiated young Hearthling grows into a Worker, but one that is apprenticed gets a leg up on the career he eventually enters. The size of the boost (or even an XP gain rate boost) would be dependent on the skill of the teacher. This way, a home-raised Hearthling will have an advantage over a random immigrant that stumbled out of the forest. The downside could perhaps be that the Player cannot pick what the kid apprentices in… giving more of a feeling of the Hearthlings having their own will on the situation (one of my favorite things about Stonehearth).

3 Likes

I love the idea of babies and children ingame. This reminds me of the cultures game i used to play. You had to pair a woman up with a men and then they could have children in their own house and raise them up to working adults.

1 Like

I’m afraid i’m going to have to let you down. Team Radiant has on many occasions specifically stated that there will be no children in Stonehearth.

2 Likes

Good. I want to be concentrating on building and defending my town, and the hearthlings exist to run around and do my bidding while I twirl my moustash and giggle in a mencing way.They don’t have time to run around and look after babies. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i think the need then a new task familiytime or freetime :wink: so that they can make babys or handle the babys/teenagers ^^

our units will eventually do more “freetime” sorts of activities… very early on, the team talked about having units fly kites, toss a ball back and forth, go fishing, etc.

should be fun to see! :smile:

3 Likes

lol jup that would be cool :smiley:

There is actually multiple solutions to this problem both in this thread and the “Dark subject” thread

1 Like

What problem? I never said there was a problem, I said I don’t want babies in the game. :slight_smile:

That problem.

Oh, OK, let me rephrase then. It’s not about the time, its about thew fact that I’m totally uninterested in having babies in my game. I’m totally cool with having a variety of “idle” animations and idle activities (the hip swaying one is getting a bit old, we need something else) but i’m utterly uninterested in my hearthlings doing other activities which prevent them from being available at the exact moment I want a building built or a mine dug out (or whatever). This includes (but is not limited to) looking after babies. For me, this is a game about building a cool town and defending it, and my hearthlings are agents. When I know I have 12 agents, I will take that into account when planning tasks I need performed, and it would piss me off if I actually only turn out to have 8 agents available to do the tasks because two of them have vanished into a house (that I mysteriously can’t see through the walls of right now) and two others are running around with babies.

2 Likes

Well i guess you ran out of luck as loads of idle animations and activities will be added such as fishing babies could be a solution, playing cards, having a drink etc.)

1 Like

This is here where we actually had an idea where babies are mostly an accessory on the mother and where children actually help moving objects. Or another one where they start directly as children that will play more but not count directly as adults in the population scheme.
Or a third where children start as apprentices at the point they spawn and where there is only enough children to be able to take the place of their masters when they die.

2 Likes

How did I run out of luck? Fishing, drinking, cards etc are all awesome idle animations. The keyword being “idle”. As soon as I give them a task, they’ll run away from their fishing etc and go and perform it (assuming it’s not an actual fisherman, which may well be an upcoming class, for all I know) because they’re not idle anymore.

Looking after babies isn’t an idle thing, it’s something they can’t just run away from which means they’re not available to me, There’s a difference.

If Radiant want to put toddlers stumbling around occasionally, and have an idle animation for workers to play with them, that’s fine, as long as when I give them a task, they go and do it and stop being idle.

1 Like

i can tell you there will be 100 percent an freetime task for the civz (first dispatcher already in the actionsfolder) ^^ and in there freetime they can do what they want … but dont ask me how much percent of there “normal” workrate this will use ^^

at the moment its only set the civz to light the fire and sit around it xD perhaps marschmallows hmmmmmmmmmmm xD

1 Like