The Writer's Workshop - Part Deux

That one gets my vote.

I thought about doing a mini lore entry for my Titan (needs that capital!) that I just submitted but I decided to just go with a small description. If we were going for an actual hybrid comp you could’ve expected to see probably two images, one as ruins and one of it rearing over a village with a couple of hundred words in a pusedo-bestiary entry saying stuff like be careful of ruins and how to defeat it (Run away very quickly, you can rebuild somewhere else). That’s just to help give an idea of roughly what I meant by my earlier suggestion, of course if I could do it as one of the canvas-y line drawings like we’ve seen I’d probably got that with the entry just for looks.

1 Like

in the interest of awarding our winners from week 2, and since we still havent decided on the exact format for the revised contest, let me award @blackArcher52 with his new title… congratulations! :smile:

@PDanford is already sporting his fancy new handle, but with this additional win, gets that much closer to an elevated writing title… :+1:

with any luck, we’ll be announcing/launching the updated competition very soon…

YAY! yay for me! but i still like the idea of a voxel creation then making a story about. SO heres a new idea for the hybrid competition; instead of having teams, what if you made it one voxel masterpiece and the writers would have to go off of that but as i think bout this it seems to be the same as a prompt.

Woah woah woah, that is pretty snazzy, how do I get set up with one of those titles?

we have two sets of competitions here… one for folks adept at using qubicle constructor, and one for those who are talented writers… you can win various titles for each competition, and “elevate” with additional wins… :wink:

i think i have a pretty good grasp on the revision for the writer’s workshop, and should get around to announcing it later this evening (have to get the kiddos off to bed)…

later this evening has turned into this morning… apologies!

ok, here’s where the competition is headed… we’re going to do a number of things to try and get more folks involved, both in terms of submissions as well as voting… to do this, we’re going to be reducing the word count (just hear me out!) to 350-400 words per story, and providing “parameters” for each weekly submission…

let’s just bullet list this out:

• starting with the next cycle (cycle 3), each cycle will have an overall theme, with each week having stories that fall within the theme… the idea being that writers can naturally progress their story over the course of a cycle, with each weekly submission representing a portion of the overall story…

• ex. using The Discovery of Magic in Stonehearth as a theme, the writer has a number of choices… they can submit one story, one week, and wait for the finals… or, each week can be an entirely new story, that falls under the main theme; or they can submit a story on week 1, and then follow up on week 2 with a continuation of the previous weeks storyline (etc., progressively towards the finals)…
  • we’re going to be applying “parameters” to a given week, whether that’s to include certain elements in the story (there has to be a protagonist name @Geoffers747, etc.), or the material must be of a specific type (limerick, haiku, written in 3rd person, or written as a medieval bards song, etc.)

• we’ll be enabling a “point system”, where contributors will automatically get points if they tie their stories together from week to week (with the bonus points increasing as the weeks progress)… basically, if the writer makes multiple contributions during a cycle, and those stories relate to each other, they will get “automatic likes” added to each subsequent week… nothing extreme, just enough motivation to a) contribute more and b) provide an overall story across the entire cycle…

• we’re thinking a week 2 submission, that is related to a previous week 1 story, gets 1 additional “like”, with a week 3 story, being related to week 2 and 1, getting an additional 2 likes (these numbers might get adjusted)
  • finally, we want to incorporate the monthly winning entries into a new mod idea (which i’ll be drawing up shortly) called (aptly enough) the Stonehearth Scribes; those winning stories will be featured in the mod, and discovered during the course of the game… there’s a good chance this mod will involve the very talented @voxel_pirate:+1:

since we are in the middle of cycle 2, it seems fair to continue with the cycle as before (one theme per week), until we close out the cycle… but, we will introduce some of the changes mentioned above for these last two weeks (word count, story parameters, monthly winner ending up in the mod)…

as this is a lot to absorb, please let me know if any of this is confusing, etc. and let me know if there are any gaping holes in the plan, or if you think we’re taking this in the wrong direction… :smile:

4 Likes

Great that you are trying to make this competition a bit more appealing and attractive for the writers and readers alike. :thumbsup:

I cross my fingers that this will work out and commit myself to read all entries :wink:.

2 Likes