The Stonehearth Graphics Test Thread

Windows 8 64-bit
Intel i5-3570k (quad core 3.4ghz)
8GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7870 w/ 2GB running at 1650x1080

Update on my system:
I’ve updated to Windows 8.1 x64
All Windows Updates Installed
Latest non-BETA Catalyst Suite Installed (13.9)
ALL drivers fully updated (Ran three different driver updater applications to verify this)
Latest BIOS on motherboard (Asrock Z77 Extreme4)

I’ve tried running as Administrator as well as in various compatibility modes (Windows 7, Windows XP SP3) to no avail.

Here’s a screencast of me trying to run it: http://screencast.com/t/nwexbooB8jVN

You can’t really see it on the screencast but the cursor blinks for several seconds after it starts and then stops.

There is nothing in the application logs (in fact, last entry in application log is successful installation of Stonehearth).

C:\Users\savyj\appdata\local\stonehearth has a crash.dmp in it and a stonehearth.log. Strangely, in the log it’s seems to indicate some kind of success as it mentions entities being moved around (this is just the last little bit of the log):

running (follow path 0414DC7C entity:243 (-7, 1, 6) → (-7, 1, 6) currently at (-7, 1, 6))
moving entity 243 to (-7, 1, 6)
turning entity 243 to angle 90
arrived! (follow path 0414DC7C entity:243 (-7, 1, 6) → (-7, 1, 6) currently at (-7, 1, 6))
running (follow path 0414D90C entity:281 (7, 1, -4) → (7, 1, -4) currently at (7, 1, -4))
moving entity 281 to (7, 1, -4)
turning entity 281 to angle 90
arrived! (follow path 0414D90C entity:281 (7, 1, -4) → (7, 1, -4) currently at (7, 1, -4))
50 ms remaining in process job list (3 jobs)

I ran Sysinternals Process Monitor on the test and it also seems to indicate a successful start and stop of the test…except I can’t actually see anything on my screen.

Let me know if there is any additional information or tests results I can supply to help troubleshoot this, otherwise I’ll wait for the next version.

NOTE: I’m an old fart systems analyst with advanced troubleshooting skills, I’d be glad to help…I’m currently sick with a nasty cold and off for the next week.

noted! and if you are this thorough with the graphics test, i cant wait to see the reports you produce with the preview release… welcome aboard! :smile:

That’s one weird scenario! If I see your screencast correctly, the SH Graphiocs Test doesn’t even appear in the task bar?

If you’re willing you could try the beta driver from AMD here. I know I had a lot of issues with the non-beta driver. At some point Visual Studio wouldn’t even start. Eventually that could be traced back to the graphics driver.

And on another note, does anyone here know if the Graphics Test sends feedback everytime you start the program? I just switched the notebook to Intel integrated graphics. It still runs fine if a bit slower, but I’m wondering if the details are sent again.

i believe they are, as radiant was apparently capturing details from modded graphics tests…

1 Like

Okay, I was away past week…

It seems I missed all the fun! :open_mouth:

I gave the beta drivers a shot, unfortunately still no visible application running. I even uninstalled and re-installed the test after all my recent updates.

While watching it with Process Monitor I thought I might have actually seen the ghost of an app screen pop in and out a few times, just for a couple of milliseconds. Very weird.

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Quad @ 2.67GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD6850
Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600Mhz
Res: 1920x1200 + 1680x1050

Crashed when I rotated the camera inside the tree and tried to zoom in and out.
[I could not reproduce this as it caused no issue in future attempts]

Faulting application name: Stonehearth.exe, version: 0.1.0.43, time stamp: 0x52866a6a
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18229, time stamp: 0x51fb1116
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x00013219
Faulting process id: 0x1348
Faulting application start time: 0x01cee93d74e1590e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Stonehearth\Stonehearth.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: c600391e-5530-11e3-915a-00252203d8ed
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-11-24T17:49:32.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>117002</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Stonehearth.exe</Data>
    <Data>0.1.0.43</Data>
    <Data>52866a6a</Data>
    <Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7601.18229</Data>
    <Data>51fb1116</Data>
    <Data>80000003</Data>
    <Data>00013219</Data>
    <Data>1348</Data>
    <Data>01cee93d74e1590e</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Stonehearth\Stonehearth.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>c600391e-5530-11e3-915a-00252203d8ed</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Additionally, when I mouse over the entities, they do not highlight or react in any way.

Why so much ram? 12GB DDR3 1600Mhz is a lot. Do you edit videos or use Photoshop?

I just got a stupidly good deal a few months back, all 12GB were only £29/$47.

I rarely even use 4GB. I tried out having a RAM-drive but the performance was disappointing.

So i have been running the test for 2 solid days to get an idea on memory usage and to see if it would get an out of bounds error or something, Well this is the result after running for 47:12:44 hours.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53637793/stonehearth1.PNG

3 Likes

That all depends on what you use the machine for. I’ve got 40GB in my desktop and 32GB in my laptop. Both are development machines running SQL Server, multiple Virtual Machines and the Adobe CC suite.

Also, if you’re addicted to speed, running a 8GB RAMdrive can speed things up considerably :smile:

2 solid days?! That sir is commitment to the cause!

I’m sure Radiant will appreciate the feedback, unfortunately new users can’t directly post images, sorry about that, I’ve gone ahead and embedded it for you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

umm… correct me if i’m wrong, but is that… over 1 quadrillion cycles?!?

i suppose that might not be too surprising, given how long the process has been running, but its still rather impressive to see it in black and white like that… :wink:

Just in case you didn’t know.

We also want to let you know that we’ll be releasing one more version of the Test that contains a number of fixes (oh, mouse cursor: where art thou?) as well as some improved logging support so that we can have a bit more clarity into some of the more inconceivable crashes. - stonehearth.net

Well, i for one can’t wait to see where it takes me.

1 Like

How easy is it to mod the test? How much skill do you need to mod it?

Check the modding thread. It depends on wildly on what you want to do, however basic stuff is pretty easy.

I am having this same problem @Hypok

I have now, there was nothing there.

hmm… have you had a chance to pursue any of the suggestions listed here? updated graphics drivers perhaps?

In trying to run the graphics test, I am afraid I met with a seemingly insurmountable summit which I have climbed for no avail, having not been able to reach the top, even as it seems the last cusp of rock is in my grasp…!

It doesn’t run at all.

Yep, not at all, no errors, no log, nothing. I have reinstalled it several times, but to no avail as I said. When I click the program, it briefly shows the cursor being busy, then… nothing. More recently a window does pop up, but then just as quickly moves slightly to the right before closing, again without an error log.
My computer specs are as such:
CPU: Intel Core i3-2310M @ 2.10 GHz
Memory: 6 GB
Res: 1366x728
GPU: Radeon HD 6490M + Intel HD Graphics