(Suggestion) First Person/Possession Mode

I do not think this will ever happen because it defeats the purpose of a city managing game. I honestly do not like the idea because it would get complex and if they do make it happen i wouldn’t touch the mode ever.

Actually that is a really good idea!

My expanding idea is that with the first person you can control a ‘Hero’ And i know that they wanted to add like RPG quests or say missions to save partners etc. So you can take your ‘Hero’ on this mission and stuff. Also you can do exploration and or when you come across modules you can do them with your ‘Hero’. So pretty much any module or missions you can control your ‘Hero’ to do them and fight, this could solve the problem with the city management and modules.

1 Like

I think something along these lines this would be handy for modders in being able to put something like a scripted cut scene or something similar where you could zoom in to a first person view and have a scripted scene play out, not necessarily allowing the player to control anything in first person mode.

1 Like

These combined would be great for modding adventure maps!

Didn’t realize there was a topic for this, but now that I’ve seen it I have to say something.

I’m actually working on a mod that’s really similar to this. The difference being that there is a new job (Straw boss) that by himself does nothing, but you can take possess him and take direct control, so you can explore your town, interact with object, change jobs of your citizens by talking to them, and so on.

2 Likes

Now, I don’t know how hard this would be to implement, I don’t even know if its possible,i don’t even know if its been mentioned( I tend to mention a lot of things mentioned already lol, lil late to the party), I do know that it would add a lot to this game though.

This is entirely based from Timber and stone, In timber and stone there is 1 class called ‘‘Adventurer’’ which when you make one of your villagers turn into this class they get a little Icon beside there name which you click on which turns you into that Villager(allowing wasd movement for him/her) and changes your game into 1st person mode from that villagers perspective

this is an incredibly cool feature because it lets you view everything you have created from the eyes of your villager and all the other villagers are still going about there business with there designated tasks, you could even take this a step further and order your hearthling squad to attack and then turn into the specific adventurer profession you put in your hearthling squad and participate in a battle yourself.

to add a NEW layer of depth and fun, when multiplayer is released you and your friend playing could have a Commander-Perfect Soldier relationship where 1 is controlling the army and the other is the strongest troop creating a different feel for multiplayer altogether, similar to the MMOFPSRTS savage 2

1 Like

This is the point I got overly excited at the idea and really wanted to be able to mod, but then I would find out how the goblins feel when I run myself over to the other village and get slaughtered by Hearthlings on alert.

Also maybe the one person you can become could be the mayor of town, so your Hearthlings would come and complain to him directly/wave there carpenters saw angrily when they get stuck on a half finished building for three nights instead of writing in a book directed at the all seeing god. This could be a part of the game over as your mayor character gets kicked out of the village or worse.

Anyways I’m getting overly excited at this idea.

1 Like

I like this idea. It was one of my favorite features of [Dungeon Keeper 2][1]!

At any stage, as in the first Dungeon Keeper, the player may
choose to “Possess” one of his creatures. The player then sees through
the creatures eyes and controls its actions, in a style similar to a first-person shooter.

You could then walk around with your goblins and mine out areas of the walls, or become one of your wizards and hurl spells at enemy soldiers. It really was a cool feature that really helped immerse you into the game, and allow you to explore the little dungeon you had created.

I would love to see this become a feature in Stonehearth at some point.
[1]: Dungeon Keeper 2 - Wikipedia

1 Like

well from what i know thats going to be in StoneHearth 2 (or 3 cant remember…) @Tom has mentioned this before. the idea would be that you wander around and explore other peoples villages/city’s and StoneHearth 3 would be you make dungeons for them to explore. dont have all my facts straight though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I’d say it’s possible, though hard. I’ve managed to get the camera to enter the hearthlings head and allow you to walk around. But there are lots of things still missing, like disabling the heartling’s AI, disabling the UI, and give the player the actions that corresponds to the hearthling that is possessed (like being able to harvest turnips if you’re in a Farmer).
There’s also some other things that’s needed to code into, so it’s hard and going to take lots of time, but not impossible. And when I get more time for it I’ll do my best to finish it, though that’s not soon-ish. :wink:

I remember that too @8BitCrab. I think he said something about it being done in some years from now though. Oh well, patience is a virtue, or so they say. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit:

Now this is interesting, I remember that Dungeon Keeper 2 also had this feature. Mayhaps I should add it to my todo-list for the mod!

1 Like

Hi,
is it planned feature (even in the far future) that a player can possess a Hearthling of him to gaze at his creations (primaly dungeons! :smile:) in first person view?

If not it would be a suggesion of mine, cause I loved this feature in for example “Dungeon Keeper 2” and I would love to walk with a Hearthling through my fresh digged tunnel. :smile:

As said above I would love this feature but it don’t have to be implemented in the near future. It’s a nice to have feature but no game-breaker.

sounds cool :stuck_out_tongue: if you multiplay, you could receive commands from your partner :stuck_out_tongue: Since you are playing as a heartling, you can rebel and choose to ignore them :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I am thinking oculus rift now…

You mean like executive assault?

@LukSyLuks: I had to google “Executive Assault” but what I get from the steam videos I think it’s the same principle. You can switch into one unit of yours and control it in first person view.

Tom has said it before, in some random Q&A the answer is no. Trust me, you’re not the first person to have asked this question…

1 Like

@Sandwitch: Ah okay. What a bummer. But like I said no game-breaker, just a nice to have suggestion for a better look into the digged tunnels. :smile:

Cool idea, but I think Timber and Stone already has a class for that. Wouldn’t want to be a copycat! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“FerretBandit, post:29, topic:1681”]
Wouldn’t want to be a copycat!
[/quote]To be fair, it wouldn’t be a copycat. Just because one game has it doesn’t mean that all other games shoud be denied from having it! :smile:

2 Likes

It might be interesting to have a “Leader” character type. Of which, the player would setup as their basic avatar to the world itself. I imagine in some modes if the leader was killed the game would be considered over.

You could set them up like a crafter, whereby their workstation is a chair (That gets upgraded to ever increasing lavish thrones) and as they level up they offer bonuses to all your Hearthlings (Or maybe just whomever happens to be within a certain range - so you might want to send him out to battle to help turn the tides in your favour).

I read most of these replies but no one mentioned anything about 3rd party programs allowing you to do this. Is there such a program? :slight_smile: