Starting to develop mods!

I have produced this thread to ask people who have already developed mods how I should go about programming and creating mods for the game! I am looking at making a mod that brings in more decorations into the game for a town! I was wondering if people who have already had experience in modding could help me get started! Ie: what software to use, what programming lang etc…!

Please help me out!

1 Like

i would suggest using “Sublime Text 2” for writing the code in, and for language its actually almost all done in json, i would suggest taking a look at TR’s starter mod on their github,

i’ll also page @Drotten as he’ll probably be of more help here then i am.

1 Like

Thank you 8BitCrab! I will definitely take a look!

if you look for more - then look here: Mods that should be added to Stonehearth as Standards

1 Like

8BitCrab pretty much said everything you needed to know to get started on your idea: that starter mod has the most basic stuff written to just add something in to the game, so you can easily copy that, and make the necessary changes for your decorations.

Of course, you’d also need a voxel editor in order to create the decorations in question, but I’m assuming you’ve already got a hold on of those. :slightly_smiling:

You should also use jsonlint to help validate your json files, as one little misplaced comma can effectively make the file useless.

5 Likes

I have already got a voxel editor, and I’ve began making models (not that they’re any good ;)). Thank you for jsonlit though!

If you haven’t already, checkout the twitch stream Radiant does, usually Stephanie does a Modding Intro stream as is immensely informative and gives tips and bits that aren’t implemented yet in-case that’s a barrier in developing your mod.

ps. PraiseDB and the Praise app i made to help sourcing and installing mods easier so when you feel you’ve got something you want to share feel free to add it there and if i can help at all let me know. The more popular it becomes the more i’ll be looking in to some paid hosting to help support Stonehearth/Radiant.

http://discourse.stonehearth.net/t/question-how-do-you-add-objects-to-r188/9235

This is the thread I created when I wanted to start modding, it’s a very helpful resource for new modders. There was a lot of errors/problems I came across which I imagine most people would so have a read and any questions you have fire away. :+1:

1 Like

thank you! I’ll take a look!

1 Like