Hello Stonehearth community,
I've reached about 100 hours in game now and completed several successful cities. I thought I would throw some of my thoughts into the forums as I have greatly enjoyed my time in the game so far. At this point I struggle a little on things to do in the game and I wanted to offer some suggestions that are hopefully helpful.
1) I would like some way to manage my custom buildings better. I completed one playthrough with a custom style and made quite a few different building designs for each purpose. I loaded up another playthrough with Raya's Children and was looking forward to another unique custom style. Unfortunately I had a list full of buildings from my last playthrough and any new buildings became buried and difficult to find.
2) I almost always turned my soldier off their job when there was not an invasion. It seemed wasteful to have them walking about when there was always tons of stuff that needed hauling! As the number of soldiers and hearthlings in general grew it became difficult to manage this. Some way to turn soldiers on/off their jobs quicker would be nice.
3) One of the biggest problems this game has is a lack of scarcity. In the beginning it is tremendous fun because you are struggling to meet the needs of your hearthlings. As the game progresses your ability to meet this needs increases while the needs themselves stay constant. In order to keep a playthrough engaging the hearthlings need to develop harder and more sophisticated needs. I think of classic city builders like the Anno series or Zeus/Pharaoh. As I met the citizens needs the upgraded their housing and new needs were developed. This would push you to advance hearthlings in their careers.
4) I think it would be cool to start a new game by choosing hearthlings from one of my current cities and sending them off to found a new colony. This would allow you to revisit old cities as they would have new needs now while also developing a regional feel for the game. I think something like this would greatly help the feeling that the world is empty beyond your borders. Somehow it feels a little sad to me that there are only 20 or 30 people in the world.
5) There could also be tournaments or olympic games which you could send your knights/crafters to. This could result in unique or hard to get items/experience/prestige. As your town increases in prestige you could attract unique hearthlings or simply hearthlings with better base stats.
6) I understand the programming limits on adding more hearthlings but perhaps we could add hearthlings which do not interact with the player but still live in the city. They would not have jobs and would not be taskable but they could eat food and walk about.
7) Aging hearthlings who have to take on apprentices in order to pass on their skills could be a way to add continuous challenge to a playthrough. There could maybe even be distant cities that send their craftsman to study with your legendary crafters.