Sheltering livestock from snow

What kind of shelter is required to stop livestock from losing health in the snow? Do they just need a roof, or do they need an enclosed shelter? I tried building a little barn with one wall open but it wasn’t being used by them.

How exactly does the freezing livestock mechanic work and how do we fulfil the criteria of “shelter”?

Just put a roof over their heads. That’s all you need.

2 Likes

As pictured, they have a roof, the four fields intersect in the middle of the shelter but they’ve all got at least 13x13 under the roof.

My animals are still losing health whenever it snows, requiring veterinary help (obsessive cleric style) and they’re not using the shelter. The floor wasn’t constructed, so it’s still just the grass.

Am I doing it wrong or is this AI still not yet working properly?

They have a roof, but they’re able to wander out from under it. I see no fences or anything. Are you sure the ones getting hurt are the ones protected?

But surely @Skaoi’s correct that the AI should handle that? That, if provided with an opportunity to be sheltered within their pasture, the animals should take advantage of it? It would be ridiculous to have to build roofs over your entire pastures.

I haven’t seen a whole lot of self-preservation against the elements out of the Hearthlings, either. “Oh, crap, here comes that sandstorm wall! I’d better duck into this shop to not get hit!”

No, they run right through it… and so do the pets. Had a Hearthling who JUST arrived wind up needing medical attention because the idiot ran through a sandstorm FOUR TIMES.

1 Like

Okay well in that case I’m going to assume it’s an “AI needs to be improved” thing which can happen much later on in development, I’ll just have to work around that for now!

My workaround has been to just dig out the animal farms underground. As long as there’s dirt, you can put a pasture on it. This protects them from snow and sandstorms.