Saying goodbye to old games

So I searched the archives and found a few related pictures. A lot of my second hand games had stickers and permanent text written all over them. So one (wonderful) saturday night I spent a few hours of maintenance :blush:

No video from that event though :wink:

Cut the images and resized and stuff, I hope not too much.

Just started

Permanent markerā€¦ Not permanent enough!

This was even worse, but I was able to fix

NES game collection refurbished

However I made a big derp, and I barely even touched the text :anguished:

1 Like

Love the video, iā€™ve almost got the the box at home ^^

Never really got into consoles at all, but Iā€™ve still got all my old PC game CDs, stretching back to C&C, Warcraft 1, Age of Empires etc. I just never like throwing things out, even though Iā€™ve never touched 90% of my games in at least a year :stuck_out_tongue: .

Since we are talking about our old gaming stuff I will tell you a little about my gaming childhood. First ever proper game I played was some sort of Paint thing. You chose a picture and then had to colour it in. Next down the line was Worms, Dungeon Keeper, GTA (Though swiftly stolen by my mum once she noticed) and the Age of Empire games (These were all my dadā€™s and mumā€™s old games and there were more but I canā€™t remember much more, Except maybe Quake) Next my uncle let me play some of his games like Sim Cities, Swat, GTA (Again, My uncle was reprimanded for letting me play this and wouldnā€™t let me play anymore.) and a few other games I canā€™t remember. This was my early childhood, I might share the rest some day.

1 Like

I find this really interesting actually :blush:

All games @Newf describes as early childhood games are things I did much later, not considered nostalgic (or retro) at all from my point of view - only ā€œoldā€ :wink: . And in the same way I guess that all my games from mid -80s and forward, considered nostalgic by me, are considered ā€œmehā€ by those older than me; they probably think of retro/nostalgia when talking about text based games or so :smile: Not that anyway has more of a correct point of view than the others, just that we have different starting points and very different relations to old titles.

Our first PC could barely play Doom 2 (yeah, we got hands on the sequel first) on the better graphics level (altered by hitting F5 at any time I think?). I was actually quite good at deathmatch considering I only played with keyboard at the timeā€¦ oh those memories :smile:

1 Like

To me, even though I was still pretty young at that time, when talking about gaming, my favourite years are 1997+/-1.

There were so many great games and franchises that came out then.
Favourite games I remember coming out between 96 and 98 were :

zelda ocarina of time

final fantasy 6
final fantasy 7
final fantasy tactics

goldeneye 007
super mario 64
mario kart 64

starcraft
half life
duke nukem 3D (on win95 i believe)
diablo
age of empires (II came out in 99, so this one was in 98 or 97 I think)

pokemon red green blue yellow (Am I forgetting any color?)
tomb raider I or II (donā€™t remember which one I played)

i think GTA and c&c red alert were released around then too, not sure.

Iā€™m probably forgetting tons of other great games right? And all that in 1997. And since then, itā€™s hard for me to find any games that get me as eager to play as those right there. Ahh the 90sā€¦ especially the 97sā€¦

Edit: So now Iā€™m listening to Zelda music for the rest of the dayā€¦

1 Like