Possible suggestion to help with alpha 14 difficulty

Hi everyone

I have only just signed up on the forums, been a lurker for quite a while but only just though of coming over to talk.
Anyways I have seen a large number of people complaining about the difficulty curve that can occur in alpha 14 from hostile mobs spawning in unfavorable situations or positions, I think I may have a suggestion for a possible short term and quick fix for said issue.

Now, as a long time Dwarf fortress player, I am no stranger to “oh for heavens sake not again” or “you have got to be kidding me” levels of difficulty, but in Stonehearth (at the time of writing) the only solution to an attack is the good old tried and tested “throw more men at it and hope it dies” tactic. This strategy can be very effective but, unlike the kobolds of DF, Hearth-lings are not exactly expendable meaning that if people die it can be difficult to recover, and thus my idea.

Maybe the trapper could be given a crafting table which allows them to create cheap anti-hostile traps that could be placed down and used as defense, this could help substantially with swaying a battle in favor of the player and adds a new tactical aspect to defending a settlement rather than just “throw more people at it and hope it dies”.

What do you guys think about this as a possible fix?

1 Like

hey there @Fire1666, welcome to the discourse :smile:

[quote=“Fire1666, post:1, topic:19207”]
Maybe the trapper could be given a crafting table which allows them to create cheap anti-hostile traps that could be placed down and used as defense, this could help substantially with swaying a battle in favor of the player and adds a new tactical aspect to defending a settlement rather than just “throw more people at it and hope it dies”.

What do you guys think about this as a possible fix?
[/quote]actually, that is planned! eventually the trapper will be able to make traps to go against bigger beasties and even unwelcome neighbors!

this can be seen by looking at the trappers lvl 5 and lvl 6 abilities which have yet to be implemented.

1 Like

Ah okay, thanks for pointing that out.

Any other plans for defense being drafted? I know ranged is coming at some point but anything other than ranged?

well i cant say anything for certain, but there may be a mage like class somewhere down the line.

best thing i can say is just wait and see :wink:

2 Likes

Oh I see how it is :wink:

I hope if the mage is added that the spells are highly modifiable, the level of ridiculous spells I can see getting modded in are worrying XD. Such as the foot of Gork from war-hammer fantasy

2 Likes