Placeable items NOT showing in "Place item" menu

This is one that I was talking about within my post made before this one.
http://discourse.stonehearth.net/t/a18-placement-item-count-incorrect-info/24610

Been there since A18’s first one so far. nice to have more confirmations, and seeing that others are seeing what I was seeing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also been having this bug.

A: Make 6 stone chests.
B: Tell Hearthlings to place 3 stone chests.
C: Hearthlings place 3 stone chests and with every stone chest they place the item count in the placement menu drops by 2 rather than 1.

I can usually sell the extras, (not always) as stated above. Also if I manually search through the ground storage if I find the 3 extra stone chests the placement menu no longer sees I can click and manually place them.

2 Likes

I’m also having the same problem. Even though I can clearly see that there is a 4 large chests in my storage zone because of the hearthlings “placing” 2 down my menus don’t even count they exist.

On a side note. I’ve noticed that 2 hearthlings will try to grab and place an item. That MAY be the reason why.
-Two go to get the item and place it
-One gets it first
-Other goes “ohwell” and goes back to what hes doing
-Game thinks 2 of the item are gone

Edit: Had a similar issue when putting turrets down… place 1 turret and game thinks you have 2.

2 Likes

It appears I’ve stumbled upon the reason for this, albeit it doesn’t answer why… :smiley:

I noticed this on the edge of the map:

And here’s a full view by clipping the camera through the ground:

Definitely something that started with A18. I’m not sure why the game thinks that I want to place a copy of some things in the void. :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ve seen the saves that have the ghosts floating out in the middle of nowhere. Can someone provide more info about how they got this to happen?
which item placement are you using? We have placing by clicking the command on the unit frame, the building editor, and the place item UI.
Also, where is the item being placed? Is it on a building? Or on the terrain?

Thank you,
-Yang

5 Likes

If you are talking about the doubled items being counted for placement… Thought I explained in my other thread of this very thing. At least for my own experience with it.

Anyway…
–It is first to have a completed building. I usually leave mine empty so I could decorate easier.
–Next use the item placement menu “P”
–place object somewhere in building, for the two instances that caused it; the count listed in the “P” menu the count was more than 1. So 2 or more in storage of that specific item.
–Count in that “P” menu would go down by 2.
–If there was only 2 in inventory, it would just disappear from the menu as if I placed both; which I didn’t yet.
–The second of the pair I was only able to place manually through the item itself. Finding in storage, selecting second item and placing it that way.
–One item I actually had more than 2, and that is when I realized it went down by 2.
–If only 1 of that item, it appears to act normal, as it should.

These were all place within a new building that was already completed, and ready to be furnished. I rarely use the building editor to place items while I am designing; and was the reason I came upon this one.

I hope that helps in determining the bug. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For me it’s also been normally placing things (stored in chests) inside finished buildings, using the big place item window. No weird stuff being done in that regard.
Items I place outside of buildings don’t seem to suffer from this, so it might be something related to the objects becoming part of the building now that somehow banishes a copy of it to the void.

4 Likes

This bug is definitely related to buildings on the map. I started a new game, promoted a carpenter and told them to build 10 chairs. I was able to place any amount of chairs (from the placement menu) on the ground without any problems. Once I made a building (the 6x6 floor in the screenshot), chairs placed on the building from the menu exhibited the double placement bug. Chairs placed on the ground still worked fine.
After placing and removing chairs from the building, I had only 1 chair left in the placement menu, but still had the 10 chairs in the world. The only way I could place any of them anywhere was to find the chair in the stockpile and place it manually.

4 Likes

There seems to be an issue with inventory count and actual count.

I have 5 comfy beds, had Hearthlings place 2. Placement UI says only have 1 left but stockpile shows 3 left.

I had thought I miss counted making beds but they are there in the pile but not on the Placement UI, been driving me crazy all day yesterday, thought I was loosing it :slight_smile:

I can confirm this issue. Had it with a new settlement, too.

Yep. Im getting it with potions and beds. So far I’m fine with other such items, like fences and gates.

I am having a similar issue. The items show up in the stockpiles and in the overall town inventory but are not shown as available for placement. I also notice that the placement inventory deducts two for each item that is placed. I am building in a cave. How to most easily replicate. This is what I did: Start a new game on peaceful. Build a stockpile and a small cave dwelling. Buy some regal carpets and comfy beds as soon as you can. Check placement inventory. If you have 2 carpets and place one in the cave the placement inventory will show no carpets left. Repeat with beds. Check main town inventory (this will still show the beds and carpets) . This is on the latest build from Steam - 3092 (x64).

Summary:
In my current game, I have a few stone chests built and ready to be placed, but I don’t see any in the “Place Item” menu. The only way I can place them is by using the build tool, which shows I have -6 chests at the moment.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open “Place Item” menu and look for stone chests.

Expected Results:
Should have at least 3 stone chests available.

Actual Results:
No stone chests are available to be placed.

Notes:
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that some of my buildings that I’ve built, I built the chests into it? Just a guess.

Attachments:
place items shows no stone chests.zip (9.1 MB)

Version Number and Mods in use:
Alpha 18 Test Version
Stonehearth 0.18.0 (develop 3092) x64 build

System Information:
Windows 10 Pro, AMD FX-8380 4.01GHz 64 bit, 16GB of RAM.

Loaded a game, only to find my workers doing looooooong paths towards who-knows-where to drop items very remotely.

Attachments:
Screenshot of the behavior stonehearth-wandering-too-far.png - Google Drive
And the savegame in question. 1472100100644.rar - Google Drive

Version Number and Mods in use: 0.18.0 Develop 3109 x64 No mods,
Game was last saved with build 0.18.0 Develop 3092, the day before the patch.

What’s happening here is that the hearthlings have an item in their inventory (probably something they gathered up in a hauling task), which they didn’t put down for some reason. When they go to pick up a new item, or do some other task out in the desert, they check what’s in their inventory… and discover that item. So, they empty their inventory, and pick up the item associated with their new task.

A much better solution would be to have them empty their inventory of non-related items before they start pathfinding to the new task – that way, items are at least dropped in a logical location rather than in the middle of nowhere. Alternatively, have the hearthlings check for items in their inventory at the end of any task, and make them create a storage task for that item.

I’ve often had it happen due to ringing the town bell – anyone who was hauling multiple items before the alert goes straight to the flag, carrying their hauled items with them. At the end of the alert, they look for a new job; still carrying those hauled items.

1 Like

Thing is, they wander the desert in previously unexplored areas…

So I turned on the “Show Hearthlings path” setting, and followed it to… litteraly the end of the world.
See screenshot : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5zGvc3eClCVSmw4V2tJWlF1OEk

I supposed I have either misclicked or the engine misunderstood something and used 0 values, but apparently they are building a marketplace at the edge of the world… and I can’t cancel it.

Once they “place” items, they are not there, still ghosted, so I can’t even tell them to remove them.

1 Like

Have you tried moving an item and then changed your mind about where you wanted to move it to; or otherwise had any issues with moving or placing those items? Do you have some in storage which you don’t expect?

I’ve had cases where I’ll be moving berry bushes and one will fail to be placed, turning into an item on the ground. I guess I must have put the placement orders too close together and made it impossible for the hearthlings to complete the order; but when I tried to cancel the move order or place that berry bush in a new position the task bugged out and the bush dropped on the ground.

I suspect that it actually created the same kind of ghost placement; although it would have been impossible for the hearthlings to reach the map edges (at the time, I was playing in a valley with mountains stretching around virtually the entire map edges)

The combination of this apparent bug, and the hearthlings not clearing their inventories, would account for why they’re carrying random items so far out. I usually see the random items being dropped around where I’m mining, or where I’ve been looting enemy camps (nothing more annoying than when someone carries metal bars out to where you had ordered them to pick up some ore lumps, lol!) But clearly there are a few different issues which can interact here…

1 Like

Summary:
Items are being build at the other edge of the world from the viewpoint of my village. I made the discovery when I gave my hearthlings acces to the higher laying mountain with a ladder and they started carrying stuff over the mountain to the other side.
Steps to reproduce:

1. I wish I knew

Expected Results:
Items being neatly place where I place them
Actual Results:
Worker crusades of item dilvering
Notes:

Attachments:

Here you can see the items that are qued to be placed

The highlight on the right is the location of picture 1. The one of the left is roughly where the outskirts of my town start.

Taking another look around I saw these items/qued items off far in the distance, pretty sure Hearthlings aren’t suposed to get over there.

Save file: 1472387303598.zip - Google Drive
Version Number and Mods in use:
-3109 (64x) Unmodded

1 Like

I experienced this as well, I have not found a way to reproduce as well.

Is anyone experiencing this bug in A18 dev3116?
The issue when placing items with the placement UI, that it counts 2 when you’ve only placed 1 and the other one disappears, and also any ghost at the edge of the world.