Old broadcasts to be deleted from Twitch

For Team Radiant, and anyone sharing gameplay on Twitch.

http://www.reddit.com/r/stonehearth/comments/2cuw85/developers_in_three_weeks_all_old_broadcasts_will/

http://blog.twitch.tv/2014/08/update-changes-to-vods-on-twitch/

As for existing past broadcasts, beginning three weeks from today, we will begin removing them from Twitch servers. If you would like to keep your past broadcasts, we encourage you to begin exporting or making highlights of your best moments so that they’re saved for posterity.

1 Like

how timely! @Geoffers747 just raised this red flag earlier this morning to Team Radiant…

having now read most of the article, i can completely understand twitch’s decision… on the plus side, the vast majority of Radiant’s streams have been right around (or under) the 2 hour mark… which means they could all be converted to Highlights, and saved indefinitely…

failing that, it looks as though there is a YouTube export option, although it is apparently disabled at the moment (everyone is likely rushing to backup their recordings)…

We need to temporarily disable the YouTube Exporter so that we can resolve increased capacity issues. The fix will take a day and should be ready for use again tomorrow.

what should hopefully be some “simple” next steps:

• Use the new Video Manager to highlight the content you love so it will be saved indefinitely.
  • Export past broadcasts you want to save to YouTube. Note: Past broadcasts will be exported in 2-hour segments.
  • We will remind you regularly over the next three weeks of the impending changes so you’re prepared.
2 Likes

A lot of streamers can’t be bothered to go through thousands of hours of streaming to make those highlights.

I’m watching the GSL this days and each day ends up with more than 2 hours of streaming games+analyses, a highlight seems hard to make out of that. It’s not like they have the time to sit around streaming unimportant stuff, everything in those streams is important :worried:

Luckily for me, the french Casters stream to twitch and dailymotion, unluckily for twitch that means that most subscribers of that french Caster will probably migrate to dailymotion.

Add to that that a lot of Streamers are Pro players who play 8+ hours a day and then will have to spend a substantial amount of time chopping off their broadcasts…

I feel a lot of people going away from twitch in the future imo.

Except for those segments where there’s copyrighted music in the background right?

Apparently even broadcasts of some games with copyrighted music playing IN-GAME have been muted, that’s harsh.

1 Like

well, i was referring to Radiant’s streams specifically… but thats a good point

Twitch is making really bad and risky moves in my honest opinion (and in the one of most people). People are starting to look for alternatives. Many have already stopped streaming on Twitch and moved to Gaming Live TV, who has advanced their lunch date due to these Twitch decisions. Azubu is also starting to get better, and I don’t know about Own3dTV but some months ago they anounced that they were starting a close beta, so maybe they will be out soon.

I think Twitch got overconfident thinking that they had no competition, but they are wrong.

1 Like

Yes I know, I was just pointing out that point about music just in case. I don’t remember if Radiant uses any such music or only OSTs.

I know a few Casters who use online radios or playlists in the background while streaming games, tutorials and such. So even a 2 hour highlight won’t save those.

I mean a 24 episodes tutorial Series without sound well… sounds bad.

This is also a very important issue, but it is a separate one. I opened this thread to inform and motivate Team Radiant and other Twitch users to migrate their own content ASAP before Twitch (now Google) deletes it forever.

2 Likes

In terms of this particular issue… do they have much choice? They’re in it to make money, not lose it storing videos that, as they note on that blog, hardly ever get watched again after just 2 weeks. Storing stuff like that just isn’t good business sense. It’s not like people are really paying much for the backups either, which would actually justify keeping them for longer in general.

So sure, I expect I’ll find myself missing deleted videos, but I can’t fault Twitch.tv for this change if I’m being honest.

All hail the free market :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

There’s no Twitch.tv anymore, it’s Google after all - the idea to move fixed videos to YouTube instead of having them on a separate system makes completely sense.

Personally I prefer hitbox.tv - a latency of three seconds cannot be beaten in order to communicate and interact with your audience.

1 Like

I agree with you in that point to the fullest, but I was actually refering to the fact of muting copyrighted sounds on streams. That got out of hand, they need to polish it, because at the moment, even if you own the rights to play that certain sound, it is getting muted. Valve has experimented that, Riot Games (League of Legends) as well.

As for the videos issue, it’s a two edge sword, because yeah, you delete potential trash and forgotten videos, but there might be videos that people would like to keep for a longer time.

I think they will make some moves respecting that after seeing such a response from the community, and I’m waiting for it.

They didn’t say “hardly”, they actually said on that blog that a little over 80% views happen within the first 2 weeks.

That still leaves 20% views (and income) less for the streamers with this new system. I feel like this will push people to either become partners with twitch (so they get 60 days for their VODs) or leave it altogether.

[quote=“nekochan, post:11, topic:6743”]They didn’t say “hardly”, they actually said on that blog that a little over 80% views happen within the first 2 weeks.

That still leaves 20% views (and income) less for the streamers with this new system. I feel like this will push people to either become partners with twitch (so they get 60 days for their VODs) or leave it altogether.[/quote]
It’s a lot less money lost than that TBH:

1. Most money is made from live streaming.
  2. Statistically, 80% of any money made from watching past broadcasts will happen in the first 2 weeks.
  3. So, that leaves the other 20% to be made from day 15 to the end of time.

In practice, #3 means that by the time you’ve gotten any money out of the first 14 days, that’s it as far as reliable revenue goes.

Regarding the copyrighted sounds stuff - didn’t know about that, but urgh. In fairness though, I suspect that ignoring the issue would be a problem for Twitch.tv as a corporate entity, because if Valve or Blizzard or whoever say “hey stop it, we own the copyright on that”… what can they do? It’s not like fair use for doing a review, or streaming it or similar after all, so I doubt they have much of a leg to stand on in court.

Now granted, I think the companies pushing Twitch to do this are being stupid, but that’s another matter.

I’m talking about the 20% specifically.
No matter how much or little it is exactly, why should you as streamer give that money up from all your past broadcasts?

on a related note:

Nothing has changed. He just said, “Sorry we didn’t tell you sooner that this was coming.” The video archives are still going away, and creators are still expected to export and archive their own videos.

nor did I suggest it had… I simply said it was “related”… :wink:

an interesting read however, as his apology almost sounds sincere… :smile:

For one billion dollars, I bet he’s really sincere.

Twitch.TV, the most lovable company on Earth.

“We have absolutely no intention of running any audio recognition
against live video, period,” Shear said. In response, one cynical
Redditor promised to “screenshot this, print it out and mail it to your
office once a week for a year when you start running audio recognition
against live video.”

I hope they won’t do that. I remember watching a live stream from StarCitizen on Youtube that got cut halfway through because the public started singing “happy birthday”. I could watch it the next day as VOD, but still…

If you are a streamer don’t start humming ! :wink:

What about poor old EA :wink: ?