(Off-Topic) Writing for work and for fun

Completely off-topic discussion, but I’m sitting here writing a paper for a group project for school, and I realized that most people hate writing for school or work, but I really enjoy it. My paper is over an incredibly boring subject (change management in company following a corporate merger) but I’m actually enjoying writing it so far, even though my group members haven’t done their portions and I’m actually filling in their parts without them asking me to.

How many of you guys actually LIKE writing? How many of you guys will sit at home on a Friday night and write short stories for fun? How many of you guys will volunteer to write extra during group projects? How many of you guys will straight up write a whole paper for a group even though everyone should be helping? Even better, how many of you guys have to write quite often professionally, and if so; about what?

3 Likes

Hey @mCharger,

reading your posting reminds me so much of me way back before I became a coder.
I have no idea if it would have been possible, but seeing as how difficult it was to jump-start the love for writing into a need strong enough to drive me forward let me tell you that you never should stop writing!
Anyhow way back then I loved writing Sci-Fi short stories, but also school work texts were in themselves interesting as writing projects of course. While pursuing my career I forgot about the joys of writing, but now I am rediscovering them and interestingly this forum helped me by a great amount, for example with this thread The creative process looked at emotionally - Tips needed

But of course also with the Writer’s Workshop, which has been a great competition for writing fan-fiction about StoneHearth by the marvelous @SteveAdamo.
So believe it or not, you are not alone with that urge!
To find even more crazies that want to put words on pages you should check out NaNoWriMo.

In retrospective I might have tried to not forget how much fun writing is - keep that fire going and get ever more ambitious!

3 Likes

I actually really enjoy writing my essays in English class, especially the character analysis because I feel like it makes me better understand the book when given a subject and I get the ball rolling on some beyond-the-ink findings! Other than that my elective is being one of 2 senior editors for the school’s literary magazine which I love doing especially when we do more flash fiction or poetry. Also, when we have say 45 min to write an essay for a test, but the class period is 90 min, I will usually take up the entire period just because I want to write all my points down :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I use to not like writeing because i would get blisters from holding the pencill wrong. A couple more years go by and i wonder why havent i writen anything on the computer.

acomplishes:

-my enjoyment of button pushing
-expressing opinon

If no one else dose it that very great for you not for them. most people want to express how they feel, only for them it is easier for them to show emotion or have face to face conversation. Not like that’s a bad thing but it is one reason why people might not write… I don’t know exactly why but then if they don’t cover any material in writing then you can cover it their fore giving you credit and not them.

1 Like

I’ve been working on a game idea for a few years now. I’ve mostly been writing the lore but I started the beginning of a short novel set in the universe. I have a TON of source material I’ve written as far as lore for my little universe I’ve made, but I never really want to work on the story; I’m always way more interested in writing the backstory. I think that’s why I want to make it into a game more so than a novel since it’s strength lies in the setting more so than the actual story.