Observation on slow processes - resulting in improved performance

So I had a nice little camp going… working my way up to a village… and getting lots of raids on against my well defended settlement. Was at 19 hearthlings and all going smoothly on my overkill PC…

As I was located right on the shores of a rather large body of water, I decided to try and create a moat around the settlement that would run up to the first “cliff” that was a higher level. there would be one bridge over this that I could easily defend with military troops and keep the raiders for harassing the hearthlings civilians as they continued to rack up wealth for me.

So I created a 3 depth x 4 wide permiter around the settlement - but did not mine out the last line of blocks that touched the body of water, I wanted to finish all the mining of the perimeter first. The existence of this moat with no water in it but just a single line of blocks stopping the water seemed to trigger some high LUA processes that kept the game VERY slow. As soon as I mined the blocks away … and the animation of the water filling the moat stopped the performance went right back to normal. I repeated this step a second time on another arm of the moat and sure enough the same thing happened. When the water is blocked from flowing into the moat by the small barrier it seemed to spike the LUA up to 50-80%.

Just an observation. I am about to start a new settlement and will let you know if I encounter this again.

Hope this info helps find another point of optimization.

Keep up the great work… love this game.


I think i can confirm that this situation of having water on the verge of spilling into an opening is adding LUA spikes. Just did another settlement. This time I left a 4x4 block gap at first (between the moat and the water body). Then I mined it back to a single block thickness holding back the water. This seemed to cause increase in LUA - but i have to say that it was done at about the 12 hearthling count so not a punishing as the first time I saw it with 21 count.

As I type this it dawns on me that I did not do a full natural 4x4 depth mine, rather I used the 1x1 mining tool to peel back the land to create the moat… wonder if this “odd” depth relative to some “natural” terrain height behaviour had anything to do with it… ill experiment again in a few days.