Hearthling Last Names

As we all know last names are based on a job or profession that someone in your family history did for a living, like if you’re a Smith your family were blacksmiths. There are also last names based on location, and some occassional random ones. For now let’s ignore the odd balls (Like the Wolfs and Flowers) and come up with possibilities for hearthling last names… I’d like to know what a Freywind did or a Keloch. Do you guys have any ideas? They can be realistic or just straight up wacky. I’m all ears! :smiley:
List of all the names I could find:

Ascendancy:
Belltowwer- Worked in a belltower?
Quess
Elliott - Desendants of an orginal Elliott
Prestin - Desendants of an orginal Prestin
Grail
Karn
Gwarin
Yiss
Berall
Pounder
Homer
Zedro
Rook - A defense? Or liked chess IDK
Woolden
Killian
Dorril
Inverse
Rayne
Prestin - Desendants of an orginal Prestin
Stroden
Keloch - Bakers that specialized in Kallaches
Papp
Edessa
Rell
Karn
Jovil - Had some jovial ancestors
Tenter
Nelvin - Desendants of an orginal Nelvin
Wester
Freywind - Wedding organizers, or born on windy days, or harvestwind
Homer
Fenton
Lebam
Hunterton
Addison - Desendants of an orginal Addison
Raile
Northpoint
Bendel

Rayya:
Sayyar - Accountants or merchants… probably
Tiroku
Krysoff
Tolem
Zenter
Rynn
Patu
Umaayya
Aibah
Kreed
Maech
Quath
Zab
Mistyaan
Djanni
Qualdeem
Vishan
Sharak
Grozi

Note: I’m assuming that last names that also are first names are decendants on an orginal

My guess is that an ancestor of the Keloch family used to own a bakery specializing in Kalaches, and Freywind was a wedding organizer.

4 Likes

This isn’t exactly true. Some last names are like that. Then there are names based on names of places. Others are just a random colors like Black or White. Then there are the ones that are just totally random, like “Flower” and “Wolf” and the likes.

2 Likes

Very true. To be honest I forgot, either way I’d like to know what the majority of the origins would’ve or could’ve been. But I’ll edit the post :sweat_smile:

Translation of my last name effectively comes out to “Illegitimate child of (nobleman)”, and you have the lines of “(Name)son”, including deviations such as “(Name)dottir”

Also, for your example ones there, Frey was a Norse name meaning “weather”. So that hearthling’s ancestor was born on a day with especially windy weather

(Or, well, it didn’t mean weather directly persay; Frey/Freyr was the vanir god of weather. But as a sur/name, it evolved to just mean weather)

3 Likes

My name comes from ancestors who were (presumably drunk) rebels. Yay!

3 Likes

If you are also from one of the Gaelic lines, then likely, yes, and possibly rebelling against my ancestor :wink:

1 Like

Wow, that’s so cool and interesting, mine is ridiculously straight forward.

1 Like

Mine descends from a Templar Knight, hailing from Normandy, whos surname meant “of the bright land”.

3 Likes

My last name is O’Brien. It translates to “Of Brien” or “Decendent of Briain”. It came from the descendants of the 10th century King of Ireland, Brian Boru. Same goes for O’Neils, whom according to history, are the O’Brien’s sworn enemy. This is due to Ui Neill refusing to bow to King Boru.

4 Likes

Frey means lord. The “siblings or combined male/female persona” represents Prosperity. In danish we have the word Frejdig, that means something like cheerful.
The harvest season is where they reign, so Freywind means in my interpretation something like harvestwind or warm breeze. :sunny:

3 Likes

Aha, good to know. I was trying to recall stories I was told two decades ago x)

3 Likes

I think I’m going to assume that the Jovils are called that because they had a jovial ancestor(s). (Jovial means cheerful/friendly) Must be a nice family.

So I was starting to look into the meaning of the Rayya names and I that a Sayyar did/does something with numbers/selling things so the were either accountants or merchants. Fitting for Rayya.