Gods and their influence

True but more gods means more domains of power to draw from, sure holy/unholy are the two generics but I like have D&D 3.5e has it set up. A whole pantheon to choose from, each one granting access to different types of spells.

Oh yes, agreed. It gives far more interest and variety. I am just saying it does not rule it out entirely if there are no gods. Though Gods would make it more interesting.

Yeah, as Kudro said, I think a pantheon D&D 3.5 style would make much more sense in Stonehearth.

It could fit in well with the planes stretch goal if we meet it.

I think this could be a good possibility to include other powerful entities than disembodied gods / demons . I think it could be funny to worship one titan angering other ones. Maybe if one titan really loves your village he would come to protect it (after you sacrificed some materials / villagers ; depending on the personality of the titan), maybe even against another titan. :smiley:
If one titan likes you only a little bit he wouldn’t help you, but you could build in / visit his realm.
It could also be a possibility to form a pact (with well defined benefits and oblations) with one titan instead of just worshiping him in a temple hoping for results.

I will pass on inculding any faiths in my world. Festivals are cool though.

1 Like

I think all this GOD stuff is bogus man, YOU ARE THE GOD while playing Stonehearth.

Who looks down from up above, and directs the path of civilization? YOU

Who says do this, and it’s done. do that, and they do what so ever you will. YOU

Say what you like, Stonehearth is a GOD GAME. It doesn’t take much logic to figure that one out. I just wish they gave us some GOD powers to go with it.

And since we don’t have those powers, we are just non-corporeal entities with NO abilities, floating around, designing buildings.

They should of named the game “GHOST ARCHITECT”.

:grin:

Edit: I just realized this was a necro by someone else of a very old topic. Sorry :sweat:

I like this idea. The way I see it working is that a player can build a temple to a deity and provide worship and sacrifice. As already mentioned above, if you provide sufficient offerings, the deity will reward the town and it’s people as makes sense. However if you build a temple and fail to provide the minimum required worship, that diety will become angry and punish the town. Maybe send a few monsters to attack, blight the crops or send a plague or two. This provides a certain risk factor when players choose to start worshiping a deity. If you can’t keep up with the requirements, it can backfire.

Additionally, a faith or belief tab could be added to each hearthling. Here it lists which gods each hearthling is aware of and what their opinions of them are. When you start a game, the list could be very short or even blank. Hearthlings that do know of gods will share their knowledge and their opinion of that god (positive or negative) with other hearthlings. As traders and merchants pass through your town or as new villagers join, they will introduce awareness of additional deities that will also spread among the town. If enough hearthlings hold a particularly positive opinion of a deity, they will start demanding that a temple be built in honor of that god. Not doing so will start negatively weighing on their mood.

The temples could be centered around an alter where a high priest leads worships and provides offerings. The alter would be something that is very expensive and time intensive to make, making it valuable in a number of ways. It would make sense that hearthlings with the cultist attribute would make the best high priests. A new type of hostile event would be introduced, where fanatics devoted to a different god try to raid the town and smash the temple alter. This would anger the god and force a player to expend considerable resources to replace the alter and placate the god. If multi-player or multi city game play is ever introduced, a player could send a raiding party out to wreck the temple of a competing god, therefor pleasing their own god and reaping the coinciding rewards.

The gods themselves could be predefined or they could also be created with player input. There can be an event where a hearthling (probably a cultist) receives a divine vision from a powerful being called [randome place holder name]. Then the player recieves a prompt asking if this name sounds right or if the villager misunderstood and the player has the ability to ‘correct’ the name. Then next promp would be something like, “The vision say this is a god of the harvest. Is this correct?” and then the player would have the ability to modify this in some way.

Even if not done in the way I described, a religion mechanic would be cool to introduce later in development. You know, once there are more mechanics in place for gods to actually affect.