Game crashes after 7-10 days (OS X install)

Hi, I’ve been having the same problem for all the time i have had it since about a year and 2 months ago, I can play for arround 7-10 days then it lags and crashes and shuts the game down, if I load it again then it shuts down just before starting to render everything, I don’t have access to root so I can’t look into it and some more information I found indicates it is a problem with wine/Windows 10 that occurs in other games under certain circumstances, there’s just something inside stonehearth that is trying to access something that it can’t because it’s inside the root directory.
It’s all speculation though, if you gave stonehearth access to root it would create security risks so the devs just have to look for what’s triggering it.
Alternatively it could be a different ‘root’ folder that’s meant to be inside wine and doesn’t exist as a file, prehaps it’s referenced in one of the dll’s or .exe,s.

Anyways don’t take this as solid fact but i am certain that it is not steam being the problem

I hope you could fix it because it is really sad when the furthest you can get is the first goblin camp and all your hard work is corrupted afterwards.

Hey there @Blocks119, welcome to the forums :smiley:!

Just to make sure I am following properly, you are running the game on OS X using wine, and it crashes after ~7-10 in-game days?

jomaxro Senior Support Moderator 

September 15
Hey there @Blocks119, welcome to the forums ! Just to make sure I am
following properly, you are running the game on OS X using wine, and
it crashes after ~7-10 in-game days?
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
In Reply To

Blocks119 

September 14
Hi, I’ve been having the same problem for all the time i have had it
since about a year and 2 months ago, I can play for arround 7-10 days
then it lags and crashes and shuts the game down, if I load it again
then it shuts down just before starting to render everything, I don’t
have access to root so…
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

also i have done some scans of evry file on my computer that seems
suspicious and i have found that there are 3 types of references to
protocol h on the whole computer. one is in stonehearth.exe (32 bit)
and one is stonehearth.exe (64 bit) the other place protocol h is
referenced is in crash reports and logs of crashes. I have come to the
conclusion that the ‘root’ in the pathway is the root of the executable
and it is referencing something within the .exe that requires a feature
not present or wrongly configured within wine. also i beleive the 138
after it, is just assigned to the location when its written in the
error and logs. so bacically you need to look through the exe code that
i cant open all of and figure the problem out from there.

@Blocks119, I am not sure, sorry! Stonehearth is not yet officially supported on OS X - the devs plan to add support after the game is feature complete. Perhaps @Gorkiork has ideas he can share?

Make sure the wine wrapper is in a place that allows it to excute everything(try your desktop) and make sure you run it as an administrator. If that doesn’t work please rebuild the wrapper by follwing the steps in my guide.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Surely it would be easier to fix bugs in them as you go along because otherwise you will have to root through code you wrote 5 or 6 years ago to find errors that when fixed will undoubtedly create more problems in the recent code?
Just my thought- thanks anyways.

Ok, thanks! I’ll try that as soon as I can! Thanks for all the fast replies and friendly community by the way this game is looking great so far. :smile:

1 Like

While that would seem to be the true, in practice I’ve found that it is not. I can’t speak to the technical reasons why (maybe @sdee or @Albert can), but Stonehearth is not the first game I’ve followed development of that has done this. Two other indie games that I’ve played, Stardew Valley and Banished both developed and released to Windows before supporting OS X.

1 Like

It sounds like Stonehearth is running out of memory / address space. Could be that you’re running in 32-bit mode or that some setting in Wine is limiting how much memory is available to the game.

3 Likes