Floating slab placement

Summary:
So I don’t know “how” you should build buildings. I just make it up as I go along. I’m trying to build a tower… And I’m using slabs as the castilations at the top. When I place one slab successfully the mouse then floats above the building. I can’t place the next slab on the building. If I place it in the air - the third slab will go on the building.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Build walls.
  2. Place floor on walls.
  3. Place slabs on floor.

Expected Results:
Not having to place slabs in the air.

Actual Results:

Notes:

Attachments:

Version Number and Mods in use:
develop-3008 (x64)
no mods

System Information:

1 Like

Hello,

Im experimenting the same issue. Waiting them to fix it it seems that we can still place the slab where we want by deselecting the building. with left mouse or quicker way by placing a slab out of the building you are constructing and then of course erase it. Sorry for my english i hope it will still help the other slab lover like me.

I’ve encountered this too (with slabs and ‘real’ floors), and used essentially the same workarounds LePleutre mentioned. If you de-select the building, you can typically make 1 placement normally. That will re-select the building and bring back the problem, but you can keep repeating as needed. Other times, primarily with non-slab floors, you have limited areas where a new block is willing to let you start (while the building is selected) - typically, only ‘outside’ the existing building’s dimensions. You can often drag that floor back to cover some of the building, and then Erase all the extra floors beyond what you wanted.

It feels like the tool is looking at the maximum dimensions of a floor segment or slab segment, and using that for collision, rather than only considering what blocks are actually present within that volume.

Can confirm this bug … building in the air, hmmm could be a feature not a bug :smiley:

Cornfirming this too. Hard to build with slabs when the placement is going wild off the place where mouse is pointing.

Have this to just now have to deselect building for every block to get normal placement. Gets bugged everytime it goes blue.

Was building around this thing and got huge errors now i cant place anything

Summary: Unable to continue building or adding blocks to a structure, instead it places them in the air or hovering.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Begin a build
  2. Attempt to add blocks
  3. Blocks hover

Expected Results:
Blocks are added in the correct area clicked

Actual Results:
Instead they are placed above or hovering around the selected area

Notes:
It is worth noting that I am able to add blocks in the correct position when the structure is not selected. However, if I attempt to add blocks to an existing structure it automatically either switches the colour of the blocks or adds strange hovering blocks above or beside the selected structure

Only apparent in the latest 3008 Build, This is probably down to the Select building change or the foundation colour change.

Attachments:

Version Number and Mods in use:
0.17.0(dev 3008) x64

System Information:

Hi,
I have a fix for this for next unstable release.
Thanks for reporting this!
-Yang

4 Likes

No worries! Happy to help ^^