Festivals and events(in game)

I think it would be great to add like a calendar in the game with events, such as harvesting festivals, your town first birthday celebrate, christmas (Santa could visit for all we know lol)… you get the idea. This system could be tied in with the seasons when we do have them. Any suggestions for more events you guys have in mind? More non-traditional or random events would make the game more fun too

4 Likes

Such events would give the game a kind of Harvest Moon feeling, …pretty nice Idea.

One event could be like a special market where more trading caravans come to your town or kinda make a little market camp near your town with a circus and maybe some special items to trade :slight_smile:

Events could give event-themed quests, would fit perfectly with the system of SH i guess …

2 Likes

Don’t worry guys, I got this one [urlhttp://animalcrossing.wikia.com/wiki/Events]covered[/url].

3 Likes

I like where you’re going with that event, brings back a lot of childhood memories

LOL nice Geoffers, a slight modification here and there and Animal Crossing can’t sue :wink:

2 Likes

Yea, I remember these sorts of events in the Harvest Moon games; I think setting something like that up for our villagers would be a nice touch.

Or, in a Dwarf Fortress touch, events in the game could cause your villagers to celebrate themselves; maybe slaying a Titan will result in an annual festival, etc.

-Will

3 Likes

this certainly seems within the realm of possibility, as one of the AMA responses was on the topic of “that comfy feeling” that the game just oozes… seeing units interact with their surroundings and being able to just enjoy watching them do “things” around the city seems like something Tom and Tony are keen on delivering…

random events would seem to fall within that same vein…

I adore the idea of having the settlers ask if they can make it a holiday on the anniversary of slaying a titan.

Then add in a 1% chance that the titan’s mother comes along to seek vengeance.

2 Likes

Congrats Robotictony

WE JUST REACHED THE FESTIVALS STRETCH GOAL!!

:smiley:

Ill probably celebrate christmas in a grab feast of food then have some carols a big dinner and a presents in the village etc.) I don’t know but then have some new religious holidays and something based on yaks
-Gridnick

I think it would be an interesting game mechanic if the game starts off without any festivals or holidays and depending on how you play your villagers/citizens/peoples/idkwhattheyareofficallycalled will begin to add holidays to their calendars. Random events could also trigger some of these things.

One example that springs into mind is the farming “minigame”. If you spend a lot of time working on your farms to boost production to a high level the citizens may decide to hold a Harvest Festival every year to honor your their hard work. :smile:

Another example would be that if you play as an aggressive village and have many military deaths they may decide to hold a Veterans Day type of holiday to honor their fallen citizens.

Imagine your food warehouses are full and now you are producing waste (as in food, not… digested food) your town in celebration decides to host a harvest festival once a year, which they celebrate by throwing the excess food at each other, while on-lookers over-partake of wine.

Or a festival for the dead/fallen that they hold after a certain number of deaths, and decide to do annually. They could march through the streets wearing white masks to represent the fallen, while onlookers over-partake in wine.

And a colored rocket festival after gunpowder is discovered. They launch fireworks. While over-partaking in wine.

Every good festival involves over-partaking in wine.

Introduction To Idea

What would the festivals be?
Festivals are certain days of the year where your villagers will celebrate a great event or honour a person of interests death. Simple right!

What would the villagers do?
During the day they would craft decorations and hang them from the corners of the buildings to other corners of buildings such as small strings with colored paper and small candles. These decorations would also link to the nearest tree’s. During the night they will dance, let small lanterns off into the sky and much more!

What will be the benefits?
In the recent Tuesday updates you might have seen the happiness system. This will boost villagers happiness and motivate villagers to work slightly faster for the next 2 days or so. It also brings a culture to your village as festivals that the player allows the villagers to take part in more (Crafting fireworks and bonfires and such) will be bigger events then the more modern festivals.

The Concept

How are festivals made?
Festivals are made when a random event has been completed or when a well known powerful knight or important has fallen. In the scenario that you complete an event (Example: Kill a ogre that has terrorized the town) The villagers will celebrate the following day and the next year they will count it as a festival! In the death of a important person, they will mourn the next day but the following year they will celebrate his/her life!

What will they be called?
The Festivals will be named after the bosses death, the name of a plague your village survived or the last name of an important person. For instance if you killed a boss and its name was Gulver Ironthorn, The festival will be called The Festival/Celebration/Death of IronThorn. If it was an important Person called Tom Heart the festival will be called Festival/Celebration/Life of Heart. Obviously you will be able to rename this festival if you so wish to choose!

A Small Calender should be provided showing all the future festivals and some indication to how big/important this festival is so the player can have a chance to plan what he is going to do about it!

What happens with festivals?
Over time a festival can become more important or less important depending on how much effort the player puts into the day. If the player hunts for more food to prepare a feast, or crafts festival items to use on the day then the festivals will remain a big event to your villagers culture. If you personally dislike the festival or don’t agree with it, then you simply have to not bother with it and it will be forgotten over time!

Why should you partake in festivals?
Its something different, you can see your villagers having fun, preparing for the festival and enjoying the day. Its a change from working and fighting and may potentially bring buffs and possibly decoration items (Such as a statue of the important person or the boss you killed) and finally brings more life to your village!

Assigning roles on the day!
On the day of the festival you can choose to allow workers a day off on the day or to work on the day (This will mean less decorations and such meaning the day can be forgotten easier if you wish) It can also mean you can keep your guards on duty! It allows you to keep some order within your village while the festival is currently taking place!

Lastly, Food perks!
On the day of festivals, villagers may make special foods that when eaten that not only fills their tummy’s but allows them to work a lot faster the following days! This means you can begin construction on new buildings or build more farms that will be constructed a lot quicker! Again the amount of effort you put into the festival will result on how much food gets made by your villagers!

Conclusion

So to summarize the idea!
The system would allow you to bring culture into any village that is unique to your own progression of your own game! You will decide which events are important and it gives a feeling of reward, even when one of your favorite characters dies! You will be able to prepare for these festivals and see your town/village come to life once all the decorations are completed! The camp fire in the center of town will come to life as your villagers dance and socialize with each other. It could be the place your favorite villager meets his one and only :wink:

I thank you for reading my idea and would be happy if you could comment with your opinion or add to the idea!

Wulfies!

Welcome to the fun and family-friendly Stonehearth Discourse!

You probably would have to balance it so that a third of the year isn’t filled with festivals (but in some countries a third of the year actually is just non-weekend holidays).

Do workers still do work during festivals, or do they just take the day off? If so, it may be a hindrance to have festivals, because you would have to wait until the next day to do anything.

Overall, nice idea! I would install it if it were a mod!

Thanks for the positive reply!
Regarding your question, The first one about it being balanced. This is true! However you can simply tell all your workers to work as normal on said day, so not much of a festival happens, and festivals should only be able to happen over big events.

The second question raises the issue of it being a negative to have the festivals. This is both a negative as you allow some workers/other classes to have days off if you so choose. However the buffs it provides should make a difference if you allow festivals to be a big culture in your village (Making efforts and preparing for them) You also should be able to tick to make all workers not work or work, but maybe a drop down menu showing all the individual workers can provide an issue as you can choose exactly who gets the day off and who doesn’t.

Again, thanks for the positive feedback to my idea :smile:

Wulfies

first of all, welcome aboard @Wulfies! :smile:

I think you’ll be pleased to know that festivals were in fact a stretch goal from the kickstarter campaign (the $450,000 goal to be precise)…

keep fleshing out your ideas though! :smiley:

1 Like

That is awesome to know, I hope my idea’s contribute to the current idea’s already planned :smile:

Wulfies

1 Like

I like @Wulfies 's ideas for the festivals. I do like that if you want to be mean you can forget the festivals. I also wonder if you could make them like Hallmark?