Engine error when building in side of hill

When trying to build a building that is partially nested inside the side of a hill, I got an engine error:

release-453 (x64)
…nehearth/components/building/building_component.luac:120: attempt to index local ‘entity’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/events.luac:68: in function <radiant/modules/events.luac:65>
…nehearth/components/building/building_component.luac:120: in function ‘_trace_entity’
…nehearth/components/building/building_component.luac:33: in function ‘_restore_structure_traces’
…nehearth/components/building/building_component.luac:17: in function ‘obj’
radiant/modules/events.luac:15: in function ‘self’
radiant/modules/events.luac:80: in function <radiant/modules/events.luac:78>
[C]: in function ‘xpcall’
radiant/modules/events.luac:78: in function <radiant/modules/events.luac:70>

I got this error after attempting to put a roof on this:

I saved my game and attempted to restart, but I get the same engine error whenever the game loads.

1 Like

hmm… this could potentially be due to roofs having a slight lip to them, so it would be going into the wall in this case. i also notice that the wall has a pillar in the center, did you use the auto-wall or manual wall tool?

1 Like

It wouldn’t let me build regular walls, so I was building free standing walls. It seems there’s a length limit to those, because it wouldn’t let me create a free standing wall all the way across the back.

1 Like

did you make sure to leave a one block gap around the edge of the floor? the auto-walls sit on the ground next to the floor, not actually on it.

[quote=“Bandecko, post:3, topic:16207”]
so I was building free standing walls.
[/quote]this could be another potential cause of the errors.

[quote=“Bandecko, post:3, topic:16207”]
It seems there’s a length limit to those, because it wouldn’t let me create a free standing wall all the way across the back.
[/quote]there is indeed a length limit.

so there are now two potential causes for the error… i’ll just page some members of TR for you.

@sdee @yshan @Albert, are either of the things i mentioned actually a possible cause for the error?

2 Likes