ConLang Learning Group: Toki Pona Edition

toki! suno puna! =D
(Hello! Good Day! :smiley: )

Welcome to the Toki Pona Language Learning Group here on the discourse!

Goal
We, as a group, will learn the language of Toki Pona!
Toki Pona was constructed in 2001 by Sonja Lang. With only 120 words and 14 phonemes, the language is very simple, yet surprisingly complete. One on the goals of Sonja Lang was to create a zen-like thought process for the speakers of this language. By using a simple language with simple terms, it may help calm the mind when thinking in Toki Pona.

Plan
We should start by working our way through the online lessons by jan Lope. Completing them one at a time with a week to learn each lesson. We are following the pdf version, NOT the html version.
We are currently on lessons 1.5 & 1.6

Resources
Books:

Online:

[Reserved for later]

Toki Pona even has itā€™s own logo! Which language can say that (pun intended ^^) for itself? :smile:

Fortunately for me (being German), most of these constructed pronunciations basically use the German rules, so after shortly looking over the rules, I can already say that I know the pronunciation already. ^^

2 Likes

Cool =D
Itā€™s really frustrating for me (native english speaker) when a constructed language (such as lojban or klingon) uses a sound which isnā€™t in english. Like ā€˜chā€™ as in the german ā€˜Bachā€™ and all I can think is a] Iā€™ve never heard a german say that word, and b] How come english doesnā€™t have any cool sounds? =ā€™[
Iā€™m donā€™t get frustrated at the language, but rather at myself (and english) for not knowing how to say something, lol.

Fortunately, all the sounds in Toki Pona are in english too, so that shouldnā€™t be a problem for the english speakers of the group =D

In fact, itā€™s possible that jan Sonja picked sounds which are commonly seen/heard in languages so it would be easier for everyone to learn ^^

1 Like

toki! suno pona.

mi jan Simepowe.
mi moku e moku pona .
ona li kili.
mi moku e telo.
mi wile suno.

All this is from lessons 1.3 and 1.4, so it shouldnā€™t be too hard to read =]
Post a response, and/or a translation below ^^

(I was slightly shocked to see your level of understanding compared to mine, after you said ā€œ1.3 and 1.4ā€, before I noticed that the HTML-version of the lessons I was reading are a lot shorter than the PDF version! switching now! ^^)

My attempt at a translation:

Hello! Good day.

Iā€™m @chimeforest.
Iā€™m eating good food.
It is a fruit.
I drink water.
I want [suna]

I think the last one is a typo? I couldnā€™t find ā€œsunaā€ anywhere, so either you like the sun (suno), or you want me (sina ā†’ ā€œI want youā€ :smiley:)ā€¦ I hope for the sunny optionā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

So let me try a replyā€¦ (The same basis of 1.4, with a first peek into the next topic ^^)

toki! mi jan Lapo.
mi moku e telo kili.
mi lukin e ilo.
pipi li ma. (?)

1 Like

You are correct, I meant to say ā€œI want sun/lightā€ The weather has been pretty drab for the past couple days here, lol.

I didnā€™t realize that the HTML version was shorter either. Iā€™ll have to make a note of that in the first post.

I think it is just, ā€œI am drinkingā€ or ā€œI drinkā€ ā€¦ though I could be wrong, I havenā€™t seen any examples yet of a sentence with ā€œI drink [type of liquid]ā€ Perhaps a better definition of ā€œmokuā€ as a verb would be ā€œconsumeā€? Iā€™m not sure =/

Nowā€¦ to try an decipher your text, lol.

Hello! I am @Raffo. 
I am drinking juice. (had to look that one up in appendix 5.8 lol)
I look at the tool
Bug is land. (?)

Iā€™m not so sure about that last one, it has no verbs in it =/
Are you trying to say that a bug is outside?

As far as I understood it, ā€œmi mokuā€ is actually both, ā€œIā€™m eatingā€ and ā€œIā€™m drinkingā€ (and for that matter, also nice things as ā€œI will be foodā€ā€¦ ^^).

I didnā€™t think the juice would be that hard. To be honest, I got inspired to that by reading the Wikipedia article, and afterwards I noticed, that itā€™s actually part of the practice of 1.5 (second to last sentence). :smile: And yes, I wanted to say that a bug is outside, at least thatā€™s how I understood the meaning ā€œoutside areaā€ of ā€œmaā€, but as the (?) implies, I wasnā€™t sure about that one. How would you say it?

Another question: I intended to say something like ā€œI look at my monitorā€ (or rather ā€œa monitorā€), but of course ā€œiloā€ itself is not descriptive enough. Looking at the word list, there is of course no monitor, but a picture = ā€œsitelenā€. So I would assume, a better way to say ā€œIā€™m looking at my monitorā€ would be ā€œmi lukin e ilo sitelen miā€ (the last ā€œmiā€ added for the ā€œmyā€). What do you think?
Edit: Oh, and adding to this, how could someone talk about their camera? Thatā€™s also a ā€œpicture deviceā€, but the other way around. Maybe by adding ā€œhave/take/obtainā€ to ā€œilo sitelen joā€?

Oh, and @8BitCrab, youā€™re still reading along, arenā€™t you? :smiley:

You are correct, my bad ^^;
Thatā€™s what I get for looking more at the appendixes than the actual lessons, lol

lol so it is. I havenā€™t gotten that far yet. Something which Iā€™ll have to correct :wink:

I read the ENTIRE DICTIONARY (lol) and found the perfect word: lon meaning ā€œto be located in/at/onā€
So ā€œpipi li lon maā€ Would mean ā€œBug located outsideā€ aka ā€œThe bug is outsideā€.
So that was just a word/some grammar which we hadnā€™t gotten to yet, lol.

As for monitor and cameraā€¦hmm
In Appendix 5.9 ā€œilo sonaā€ means computer (a smart machine) So you could say ā€œmi lukin e ilo sonaā€ to say ā€œI look at the computerā€. If you wanted to specifically say ā€œcomputer monitor/screenā€. I think there might be a way to combine the phrases for computer and tv(ilo pi sitelen tawa "tool possesses moving picture), but Iā€™m not sure how =/

For camera, I though you are on the right track. ā€œilo sitelen joā€ tool picture have/obtain. I think I might use ā€œilo lukin joā€ maybeā€¦ Iā€™ll have to think about this more when I am more awake, lol. We might be getting into concepts which arenā€™t in lesson 1, lol.

Yeah @8BitCrab we miss you ='O

[quote=ā€œchimeforest, post:9, topic:11879ā€]
Yeah @8BitCrab we miss you ='O
[/quote]darn, ive been to busy with other stuff to be able to do this guys :frowning:

im hoping ill be able to catch up soon though.

1 Like

@8BitCrab no worries =D weā€™re only likeā€¦ halfway through lesson 1? Iā€™m sure youā€™ll be able to catch up when youā€™re less busy =]

Itā€™s actually really as simple as they advertise it. You know that there are some people who can easily pick up and learn a brand new language? Some can even master it within a few months or a year? Well, Iā€™m kind of the opposite of thoseā€¦ ^^ And even I managed to grasp the basic concepts of Toki Pona within, what now, a week or two? :smiley: This is a completely new experience for me! :smiley:

2 Likes

Actually, I started this thread 5 days ago, so itā€™s been less than a week =D

Thatā€™s true, it only has been a few daysā€¦ ^^

Anyway, let me take the opportunity to say, that the original lessons can still use some revision at some pointā€¦ Some of the examples or structures areā€¦ ā€œamusingā€, to say the least. Some of my favorites in the PDF lessions:

• The very first example for this simple and peaceful language explains that the letter ā€œkā€ is pronounced as in ā€œkillā€
  • In the second vocabulary block you get to learn ā€œpakalaā€ (ā€œto mess up, to destroyā€) directly next to ā€œunpaā€ (which has a distinctly PG-rated translation ^^)
  • Speaking of which: already in the second lesson you learn how to express your wish to sleep with someone. Thatā€™s language learning efficiency! :smiley:
  • ā€¦and one lesson later you get to learn the expression for prostitute, and spoilers: I peaked a little ahead, and later this term will be used to describe Heather. ^^
  • ā€œnasaā€ has nothing to do with space, but on the contrary means ā€œcrazy, stupid, drunkā€

And this is only up to 1.5! :joy:

Anyway; during listing these things, I got inspired to translate this phrase:

ijo jan li wile lukin e ma seli.

Iā€™m not entirely sure about the first term (maybe ā€œjan ijoā€?) or the last part (maybe ā€œā€¦ma li seliā€? We didnā€™t exactly have the proper grammar for this yet), but feel free to try and reconstruct the original phrase! :slight_smile:

Yeah toki poni sure does get straight to the point, lol

Nowā€¦ as for the sentenceā€¦

ijo(noun) jan(modifier) li wile(verb trans) lukin(verb) e ma(noun) seli(modifier).
something of person wants to look at the land of hot
personal thing wants to see the hot land?

ā€œjan ijoā€ would mean ā€œperson of thing(s)ā€ or ā€œthing personā€. since ā€œijoā€ is now a modifier of ā€œjanā€ instead of the other way around.
and ā€œma li seliā€ would mean ā€œland heats upā€ since ā€˜seliā€™ would become a verb.

How close am I to your original phrase? xD

Wellā€¦ If I wouldnā€™t know my original intention, I probably wouldnā€™t have guessed itā€¦

Letā€™s clarify this first: as subject of the sentence I was aiming for ā€œsomeoneā€ or ā€œsome peopleā€ā€¦ maybe I misread ā€œijoā€ to be more of ā€œsomeā€, and less of ā€œthingā€, but youā€™re probably right, ā€œijoā€ is more focused on the objectsā€¦ so what would be a good modifier to turn ā€œjanā€/ā€œpersonā€ into ā€œsomeoneā€ or ā€œsome peopleā€?

As for the last part, where I was not sure, after your translations I now know that I wanted to say ā€œā€¦ma li seliā€. ^^

Iā€™ll keep it to this. Maybe with these additions you can already guess the phrase I was going for. Otherwise Iā€™ll disclose the mystery in two posts from now, and we can discuss, why the translation was not good enough to identify the phrase. :wink:

Edit: I was looking at the wordlist and noticed, that ā€œjanā€ already means ā€œsomebodyā€ by itselfā€¦ Therefore the corrected sentence (to the best of my knowledge) would be

jan li wile lukin e ma li seli.

But as I said, I would love emphasize the ā€œsomeā€ of ā€œsomeoneā€, maybe even the pluralā€¦ Maybe ā€œjan muteā€? But wouldnā€™t that be more specific ā€œpeopleā€ instead of ā€œsome peopleā€? Can this be done in Toki Pona, or is this part of the intended ambiguity?

OH YES, I THINK I UNDERSTAND NOW xD
jan li wile lukin e ma li seli = People want to see spring!
Cause spring is when the land/outside heats up =D

Did I get it? ^^

You are correct in that ā€œjanā€ by itself can be plural/not plural.
ā€œjan muteā€ could mean anything between ā€œpeopleā€ to ā€œsome peopleā€ to ā€œmany/lots of peopleā€ it basically makes the noun it modifies plural, but it doesnā€™t specify to what degree. Itā€™s part of the ambiguity of Toki Pona, I think. Iā€™d be nice to have a middle word, lol. or an ā€œunintensifierā€ā€¦ like ā€œmuteā€ means ā€˜manyā€™ but ā€œ(less) muteā€ could mean ā€˜someā€™. Maybe we will find a way to to that later on in the lessons =]

Speaking of, I think it would be safe to officially move to lessons 1.5 and 1.6.

Edit: also, I found this [really cool writing system][1] for Toki Pona =D

Edit edit: I looked ahead into the numbers/counting chapter(1.16) and it has info on specifying amounts =]
[1]: http://jonathangabel.com/projects/t47

Thatā€¦ is certainly a beautiful phrase, but not at all what I had in mindā€¦ ^^ As my sentence sounds more terrible than yours, Iā€™d like to point out that I came up with the idea while I was compiling these things as ā€œk as in killingā€ and ā€œpakalaā€ā€¦ :wink:

OK, hereā€™s what I wanted to say:

jan mute li wile lukin e ma li seli = Some people (just) want to see the world burn.

(As I said, not as beautiful as the one with spring, donā€™t judge me! ^^)

Which raises two questions:

1. How would you have translated this phrase? Was the problem with one of my choices or was the problem the ambiguity?
  2. How would someone translate spring? I would have never thought of translating it as ā€œwhen the outside getā€™s warmā€, but then again I wouldnā€™t know how to translate itā€¦ In a first attempt I would probably describe it as ā€œtenpo kamaā€ (time of beginning), how does that sound? It is kind of hard to find a good way, as none of the following terms year, early, morning, or birth are in the word listā€¦ ^^
    Edit: I know that years are counted as ā€œsunsā€ (on Wikipedia thereā€™s an example of asking ā€œhow old are youā€ with ā€œhow many times have you traveled around the sunā€ :smiley:), soooo maybe spring would be more ā€œpreciseā€ with something like ā€œtenpo suno kamaā€? ā€œtenpo sunoā€ would then be ā€œseasonā€, and summer, autumn and winter could probably be ā€œtenpo suno seliā€ (hot season), ā€œā€¦ alasaā€ (harvesting season, on the extended list) and ā€œā€¦ leteā€ (cold season)?

I also found this ā€œwriting systemā€ once, but I think itā€™s needlessly complicated and completely uselessā€¦ ā€œon purposeā€, as they say, but while the language of Toki Pona is beautifully simple, this writing system is the oppositeā€¦ or to put it in reference: In Toki Pona, ā€œgoodā€ and ā€œsimpleā€ are both ā€œponaā€, while ā€œbad, evilā€ and ā€œcomplicatedā€ are both ā€œikeā€, and this writing system is ā€œikeā€ā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Yeahā€¦ I think I like my translation better =P

But you were also thinking of other thingsā€¦

So I could have gone that route, but choose not to, lol (ā€œpersonal thing wants to see a hot placeā€ for example, lol) which is why we have the toki pona word ā€˜unpaā€™, lol so when that it is brought up we KNOW what it going on, lol.

Probably a little bit of both. Perhaps stacking more words on to be more specificā€¦ for example perhaps referring to the world as ā€œma sike suliā€ = important/big round/spherical land/outside aka earth? and for burn, perhaps use ā€œseli pakalaā€ = heat up destructively. Soā€¦ if we use thoseā€¦ the finished sentence would be something along the lines of:

jan mute li wile lukin e ma sike suli li seli pakala. = More than one person wants to see the important spherical outside heat up destructively = Some people want to watch the world burn.

I thought a bit about this after I posted my responce earlier today, and I came up with ā€œtempo sinā€ = time of renewal, based on Appendix 5.16 which gives phrases for summer (tenpo seli, time of warmth) and winter (tenpo lete, time of cold).
btw, I canā€™t seem to find that example on wikipedia you found, would you mind copying it?
Also, In A.5.16, ā€œtenpo sunoā€ = time of the sun, aka daytime, so ā€œtenpo suno kamaā€ = time of new day would be morning, I would thinkā€¦ except I just looked again, and it means ā€˜tomorrowā€™, since Toki Pona doesnā€™t have a word for ā€˜nextā€™, ā€œtenpo suno sinā€ time of renewed day = morning, lol. Just goes to show how ambiguous this language can be I guess. Soā€¦ following those examples ā€œtenpo suno seliā€ would be a very good way of saying ā€˜noonā€™ =D
Also using ā€œalasaā€ (tempo alasa, time of harvest) would be a great way to say fall ^^

Now that I think about it, I agree, it is very very ā€œikeā€ lol. But it looks cool, so I think I might keep at it, maybe, lol. Maybe I/we could come up with out own writing system? or perhaps toki pona is best without itā€™s own writing systemā€¦

EDIT:
Have a crack at this =] : ali li pona mute. taso mi mute li wile ona li ike - jan Konpuki

Looky what I got this week =]

The one on the left is my printed out pdf of the lessons =P

1 Like