Clean Reinstallation of Stonehearth on Steam

@THEGREATGRUMPY
Where do you have your Steam installed?
If you installed Steam on default location, you should have a folder in a path like this:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\

Then, inside that common folder, there should be all of your downloaded Steam games:

I usually close Steam before deleting the game folder. But I guess it shouldn’t matter, or else Steam would have warned the users about it.

After deleting that folder, when you go to your Steam library, you should see again the option to download the game in order to play it.

This shouldn’t have affected your other games at all.

And there were issues in the past when you have several Stonehearth installations on your computer, for example one from Steam and another one from Humble Bundle.

The error about stonehearth.json has also been mentioned in the forum in the past, I will search for it to see what did people do in the end. I will ask you again in a while. I think th Humble Bundle installer can make the stonehearth.json appear at a different directory.

Edit: I’m back. This thread discusses the problems that one user had when installing Stonehearth on Steam having already a Humble Bundle installation from before. It’s lengthy but has good points (in fact I just changed the category to performance to be able to find it easily later) :

You don’t have to read it if you don’t want, it’s just for the purpose of this topic. To clarify, the first time after buying Stonehearth, you just grabbed the key and used it in Steam, right? You downloaded the game from Steam this way or downloaded from Humble Bundle and then updated via Steam?

Have you tried logging out of Steam and logging it again? How does your Steam library look like, the games are still installed, right? I can’t believe that you can’t play any of your games if you ONLY deleted the Stonehearth folder. Because many people of the forum (myself included) have done it in the past and we didn’t have your issue.

On the other hand, if you could paste the error where it complains about the stonehearth.json not existing, we might be able to figure out what it’s happening. I want to know where is it trying to search it, if in some folder from Steam or in another folder from your computer.

The Humble Bundle installation leaves some settings files here, you can check it because your last installation using the humble bundle download might have left some files there:
C:\Users\YourWindowsUserNameHere\AppData\Local\stonehearth\

And sorry if my wording is sounding rude sometimes, it’s not my intention at all. I just wanna help, and I make many questions to clarify things and have all the information. My work in the forum is completely voluntary, so yes, I “work” for Stonehearth, but not for Radiant. (Though I don’t discard applying in the future >_> I love so much this game…)

3 Likes