Class Tools, Floating Buildings, Canceling Actions, and Why build houses?

First time posting here. Finally getting my humble bundle code and downloading the game… I’ve spent about 12hrs worth of game time exploring in Alpha 13 and have a few observations and comments to make. Aslo I’d just like to say how awesome it has been looking at all the stuff that other people have built in this game and all the excitement in the community. It is a really cool game!

Class Tools:
There are some issues with the way that class tools are currently accessed, mostly related to Rayya’s children but also potentially problematic for the introduction of other races. Having all the most basic class tools, other then the trapper’s knife and the carpenter’s saw crafted by the carpenter is really problematic. From what I understand there are only 3 ways to get food in the game when you start, Farming, Gathering, and Trapping. Rayya’s children can’t make a carpenter’s saw until they have a leveled up blacksmith, preventing them from accessing all sort of classes until much later in the game. Is this an intentional design to make them harder to play?

Floating Building and Such:
It is currently possible to build a small pillar using the block or free standing wall tool in the custom building option and then construct whatever you want floating in the air, you can then remove the impossible support the leave things floating in the sky. I realize there is some sort of support/gravity engine and I’m not complaining, I just thought it was an amusing thing to do. Similarly you can currently walk underwater and build things fully submerged, and you can plant crops underground… I need some more testing on that last one, I’m not sure if they ever grow.

Canceling Actions:
Right now it is not possible to cancel an action like an area that has been designated to be mined. I really hope this get implemented in the next release. Buildings can be put on pause or removed, so it’s not an issue there, but it ca cause some real problems with mining and gathering.

Why Build houses:
Ok so seriously, other then “it’s fun” what is the point of building houses? Mining generates resources instead of spending them, is faster, allows for contiguous expansion and modification of existing structures, creates a safer living space, and appears to have no downside in terms of citizen happiness or function… additionally if I’m right about the ability to grow crops underground, the surface world is pretty much only necessary for acquiring wood. I think this would be great for Dwarves once they are implemented, but I don’t think the other races should be happy or healthy living in caves.

3 Likes

You make valid points, for sure.
I am not sure what effect they all have yet, if any, but theoretically, curtains, desks, dressers, tapestries, etc. should all boost the happiness of the hearthling living in the dwelling, and I would concur that living in a completed house made of the faction’s preferred material should give a happiness boost as well.

1 Like

hey there @Briarpatch, welcome to the discourse :smile:

[quote=“Briarpatch, post:1, topic:19486”]
Class Tools:
[/quote]Rayya’s children are supposed to be heavily based upon trading, so from what i understand, making the talismans hard to get except through trading is intentional.

and just encase you dont already know, there is a store that comes by every once in awhile selling talismans like the farmers hoe, training sword, etc.

Floating Building and Such:
[/quote]1. currently the gravity system is limited to things like resources (and iconic versions of stuff), so while you can build floating houses right now, i’m pretty sure that will change somewhere down the line.
2. there isnt a drowning system in place yet, and water is far from finished, so im sure we’ll eventually see changes to this.
3. you should only be able to plant farms in dirt, so i guess that does mean you’ll be able to have farms underground in the foothills but not in the mountains.

Canceling Actions:
[/quote]to cancel a mining action simply click on the mining zone, it will come up with a UI that allows you to pause or remove the mining action.

and for canceling harvesting plants/trees, there’s actually a “cancel task” tool in the same tab as the harvest tool and mining tool (forget the tabs name atm)

Why Build houses:
[/quote]while there currently isnt a reason other then raising your net worth,

eventually you’ll need them to last through blizzards rainstorms etc. along with other penalty’s for not having houses, eventually just burrowing into the mountains will make you hearthlings unhappy.
(i feellike i worded that really badly…)

thanks for the feedback, i hope i was of some help.

TR is always happy to hear peoples thoughts, i’ll page some of the team for you so they dont miss this one, @yshan @sdee @linda.

4 Likes

Though this should be the idea, unfortunately enemies can and do spawn inside mined out areas :worried:

1 Like

I haven’t seen that yet, but that’s good to know.

Hmmm… perhaps there are still just bugs the canceling actions system. I haven’t been able to get it to work.

I’ve noticed this. It seems to be related to the distance from your initial starting banner. Mobs don’t seem to spawn within a certain radius of it. Mine passed that radius and you get wolves and such in your caves.

that is indeed the case, your banner has a certain radius around it that nothing can spawn in, as far as i know there currently isnt a way to extend that radius though.

[quote=“Briarpatch, post:6, topic:19486, full:true”]
Hmmm… perhaps there are still just bugs the canceling actions system. I haven’t been able to get it to work.
[/quote]apologies for having missed your reply earlier, but which part of the canceling system isnt working for you?

1 Like

No worries. I can’t be more precise a the moment, but I simply wasn’t able to cancel any mining actions, or the placement of furniture. The mining action is a more serious issue since you can’t undo it once you’ve mined an area and there are certain dangers involved. With the furniture it’s just annoying because you have to wait for them to place it before you can move it. It’s pretty easy to misplace something by one square or have it facing the wrong direction.

1 Like

right, currently the cancel task tool doesnt work on canceling the placement of furniture… :disappointed:

for the mining though, in order to be able to cancel it click on the harvest tab, and you should be able to see the yellow mining zones, simply click on one of the zones and then hit remove or pause.

does that make sense?

1 Like

I got canceling mining to work, thanks!

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Help with Building

I have found that building house is a good way to keep job specific workers(farmers, mason, ect) close to the area of operation you wantthem to stay in. if you organize your chest inventory well it can help u from searching for stuff.

Plus houses look cool. :smile:

1 Like