Building Types and uses

Hello everyone, new to the forums and Stone Hearth in general, first off wanted to say how happy I am to have purchased the game and I’m having loads of fun.

One thing I’ve noticed and having read a few of the posts of here is that buildings really have little to no use apart from aesthetics. You just place everything outdoors and it will have the same effect.

Obviously the game is in alpha and so when Seasons are introduced and what not maybe then buildings will be needed to not freeze and such but now I have a suggestion to be able to assign building types.

An example being a blacksmiths house/shop:
Requirements: Forge, Anvil, Door, Bed
Effect: % Chance to save materials when crafting (or something similar)

You could then assign your blacksmith(s) to the house and they would sleep there and spend most of the time around that house

Thoughts?

4 Likes

That’s an interesting thought. I like it! Maybe for cave dwellers, of whom there are quite a few, you could have two ways of marking a ‘shop’. One with a stockpile-like zone and the other with a building assignment which would work about the same but would include the whole building.

Hey there @MrAshleeD, great idea, and welcome to the Discourse! At this point we know that buildings will eventually be functional, in some way, more so than simply aesthetics, but how that works is very unknown. Part of your idea (a building specific to a crafter) deals with another commonly discussed topic of “assigning” something to a Hearthling. I think that having many different potential benefits like what you listed would be great, maybe some that are listed in an obvious ways, and others that are discovered by chance!

1 Like

Thanks for the replies!
Yeah I can’t wait to see where this game goes in terms of depth. And yeah @jomaxro I’ve seen people saying about assigning people to buildings and beds and I thought it was a great idea and this would be one way of implementing that and a reason to do so (apart from role-playing)

The thing here is… what happens if someone wants to have the forge for example outside instead of inside… you know like underneath a custom slab roof hanging off the side… if someone wanted that look theyd have to go without the benefits…

Bed assignment used to be implemented, but it caused numerous performance issues so it was removed until a better system could be developed.

This is definitely not an easy thing to deal with, and I’ll be honest and state that I have no idea how this would work. On solution would be to have many, many different types of potential benefits such that one is very unlikely to not get one of them. Another potential solution would be to “detect” objects near the house, that meet certain criteria. In your slab roof example it might be possible to detect if a part of a building is above or below the item, and then count it…but there are so many edge cases here to deal with!

1 Like

I was just thinking of like in skyrim where the forge is always outside the blacksmiths house. I think ive seen someone in stonehearth use that design too…

Yeah, my idea was just a basis, like the door may not be necessary, but being able to assign a blacksmith “Area” much like you assign stockpiles and farms.
Then having it indoors and outdoors wouldn’t be a problem.

Same as having a “Home” area for Hearthlings to sleep:

“Home”
Requirements: Bed, light source(maybe)
Effect: Hearthlings gain +50% movespeed for the remainder of the day

This would be really interesting once they add in the medic… if they have like an infirmary area where people would go when they were injured or sick to be treated. they could lie down in beds while the medic looks after them.

I could just imagine the entire town being sick from some epidemic or something (they did mention a possibility of adding sickness/illness/disease into the game…) and being in the infirmary with the medic struggling to cure everyone.

This is exactly the kind of idea I was thinking about. Having that consistency would just make this[quote=“AdriannaVentara, post:9, topic:18232, full:true”]
This would be really interesting once they add in the medic… if they have like an infirmary area where people would go when they were injured or sick to be treated. they could lie down in beds while the medic looks after them.

I could just imagine the entire town being sick from some epidemic or something (they did mention a possibility of adding sickness/illness/disease into the game…) and being in the infirmary with the medic struggling to cure everyone.
[/quote]

This is what brought this idea to me, having medics own “hospital” type buildings were sick or injured people would go consistently. Same effect based bonus could be used here as well, medic “beds” could be where patients would go but inside a hospital “Area” they would have extra benefits