Building Destruction Dust Stays

Summary:
Whenever I destroy a building that isn’t finished (I’m destroying these buildings because the citizens do not like to continue their building which is odd), I get an error and the dust doesn’t seem to EVER go away.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Build something in [custom] (probably doesn’t matter idk)
  2. Destroy during build (I haven’t tried destroying on any finished buildings)
  3. Get an error and watch the dust never go away

Expected Results:
I expected the dust to clear

Actual Results:
The dust from the destroyed building does not clear out

Notes:
Error Message:
release-707 (x64)
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:260: attempt to call method ‘get_category’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/common.lua:245: in function ‘report_traceback’
radiant/modules/common.lua:256: in function ‘get_category’
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:260: in function ‘get_floors’
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:479: in function ‘_restore_terrain’
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:513: in function ‘fn’
radiant/controllers/nonpersistent_timer.lua:56: in function ‘fire’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.lua:84: in function <radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.lua:84>
[C]: in function ‘xpcall’
radiant/modules/common.lua:265: in function ‘xpcall’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.lua:84: in function ‘set_now’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.lua:124: in function ‘increment_now’
radiant/modules/timer.lua:13: in function ‘instance’
radiant/modules/events.lua:291: in function <radiant/modules/events.lua:285>
[C]: in function ‘xpcall’
radiant/modules/common.lua:265: in function ‘xpcall’
radiant/modules/events.lua:285: in function ‘trigger’
radiant/modules/events.lua:398: in function ‘_trigger_gameloop’
radiant/modules/events.lua:446: in function ‘_update’
radiant/server.lua:61: in function <radiant/server.lua:58>
Attachments:

Version Number and Mods in use:
release-707 (x64); No mods in use

System Information:
Processor: FX 8350
Mother Board: Asus 970 Pro
Memory: 16GB EVGA Ram
SSD: Intel 600P 256GB
HDD: WD Black 1TB1
Power Supply: EVGA 750 W
Windows 10

i just say that is epic XD

Hi,

There are two errors happening.
Assuming all the resources are available and the workers don’t build, unless the code is evolving and the workers went on strike :wink: :smiley: that is an error too.
The other error, then I have a question for you.
Does the dust stay after restarting the game?

I had a similar problem, but after restarting the dust went away.

Also, do you get any error dialogue (red text in a small windowed pop-up in game), because that would be important for staff to help I think.

From my perspective, I think it is a glitch with something due to an error of the thing getting corrupted or some such. I would try loading, if available, a previous save and if possible, either seeing if the construction continues (sometimes from experience this works for that problem) and if not, then try to demolish the building again, maybe it will work that time round.

I think that the error is caused by the not building error, which acts as a catalyst.

Hope this resolves your problem - I’m sure someone else will come up with a better or more technical solution soon enough.

Good Luck

p.s. nice specs :stuck_out_tongue: ! :slight_smile:

Restarting the game didn’t seem to work, the error console popped up again giving me this:

release-707 (x64)
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:260: attempt to call method ‘get_category’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/common.lua:245: in function 'report_traceback’
radiant/modules/common.lua:256: in function ‘get_category’
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:260: in function ‘get_floors’
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:479: in function ‘_restore_terrain’
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:513: in function 'fn’
radiant/controllers/nonpersistent_timer.lua:56: in function 'fire’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.lua:84: in function <radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.lua:84>
[C]: in function 'xpcall’
radiant/modules/common.lua:265: in function 'xpcall’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.lua:84: in function 'set_now’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.lua:124: in function 'increment_now’
radiant/modules/timer.lua:13: in function 'instance’
radiant/modules/events.lua:291: in function <radiant/modules/events.lua:285>
[C]: in function 'xpcall’
radiant/modules/common.lua:265: in function 'xpcall’
radiant/modules/events.lua:285: in function 'trigger’
radiant/modules/events.lua:398: in function '_trigger_gameloop’
radiant/modules/events.lua:446: in function '_update’
radiant/server.lua:61: in function <radiant/server.lua:58>

Don’t mention it. Staff should find this soon enough and should be able to guide you more. Not to kill your hopes though but from experience, such glitches tend to stay permanently on the map I’m affraid.

Hello, i had the same bug few month, and i found how remove this dust. and if you want remove bug follow step :slight_smile:

1st step: enable dev menu in setting game follow path “setting/mods/debugtool” with this you can open consol ig

2nd step: In game you see top of right some picture and no need to use it but if you press “Ctrl+c” you open consol.

3th step: select your building bug (with dust bug), Open consol (ctrl+c) and write “destroy” (without " ") and VOILA !

Sorry for my english, i hope you understand me. Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @Quigster :slight_smile:

Could you upload the savefile where that error appears? (And the one before trying to destroy the building too, if possible)

To upload a savefile:

1. Find the save folder for the saves you wish to upload. By default, they are located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth\saved_games (assuming a default Steam install).
  2. Zip the folder.
  3. Right click the folder (should be a long set of numbers).
  4. Left click on Send to in the menu that appears.
  5. Left click on `Compressed (Zipped) folder).
  6. (Optional) Rename the folder to something different than the default set of numbers.
  7. Upload the save.
  8. If the zip is less than 10 MB, you can upload it directly. Either use the upload button or drag and drop it into the compose window,
  9. If larger than 10 MB, upload it to a cloud storage site like Dropbox, Google Drive, File Dropper, etc. and post the sharing link here.

Hey @Relyss I was able to replicate this bug where the dust just continually stays multiple times.

1. Build a building.
  2. Pause the game once it’s done and select the building tool.
  3. Notice when ya hover over the sections of the house they are highlighted with a white box. Click on one and remove.
  4. When ya try to click on the same outlined area it won’t always allow you to remove, BUT if you select a separate portion of the same house it gives you the option to remove even though it’s the same building. Select another section while still paused and remove.
  5. Hit a play speed and BAM when the house goes down the dust just keeps on rollin’.

Works on custom builds AND building templates like the Tiny Cottage. Not sure if this will help, but here’s hoping.

1 Like

Thanks for the repro, @Logo. I think it doesn’t have to do with what you select. If you click on remove twice, with the game paused, it will cause the bug.

But if you reload the game after those steps, it will stop the effect. That is the bug from this thread: Smoke particle effect remains after demolishing a building

However, if you get an engine error like the one that Quigster posted, the effect will still be playing after reload.

1 Like