Beta r868 On Steam Unstable - Northern Alliance!

@Marmoladon do you have any mods that add custom starting options? Those are probably conflicting with the game

Okay, I ran the game without any mods and it worked, thanks and sorry.

1 Like

No worries man!, here to help :slight_smile:
(mods that donā€™t mess with starting load outs are OK)

A couple of thoughts for NA after about 10 in-game days played so far:

-Some fairly vital jobs are difficult to get to in early game. Mainly the herbalist and footman. Healing is a little bit of an issue early on. Mason L3 -> Blacksmith L4 -> Carpenter for the two talismans is a bit far to go before running into tougher enemies. I was running into a few zombie hordes and twice had the giant zombies spawn (the ones that roam in, not the ones that guard treasure) and my archers nearly died a few times long before I even got to a carpenter. I mention footman as well just because knight is locked behind it, but itā€™s the herbalist>cleric that is my main concern. If left as is then perhaps access by merchant like RC?

-Building editor is affected by weather. When making a building the voxels/rooms you put down show as if covered in snow during that weather making it difficult to edit with specific colours. Open room flooring is flat white instead of what you want. I didnā€™t notice as much playing the other biomes because snowy weather happens much less often.

-Speaking of the editor, I wish there were tabs in the template menu to separate default, modded in, and custom made templates. I seem to have to many that they get kinda lost in the list hehe

-Having the ability to toggle on or off looting is something I have wished for for a long time. Being able to set one of your hearthlings to only be looting dropped items would be very helpful, especially with the way archers work now (which I love btw. Only gripe is wild game notification popping up a bit too often)

-You guys probably already know about this, but the stone candle holder doesnā€™t work in the building editor. It cannot be placed

-The tier 1 default templates are awesome. Just wanted to say that :slight_smile: Also caribou. Sorry poyos, caribou are my new favorite thing

I made some changes just for fun, I like it. I made it like dry/yellow grass with deposited snow on corners :merry:

Iā€™ll keep tweaking, trying to add some random ā€œsnow spotsā€ on the plains and maybe add some reds/oranges :blush:

4 Likes

If itā€™s a big concern, you can start with the herbalist staff through the ā€œMerchantā€ option in the embarkation screen. Comes with a bow, trapper knife, herbalist staff.

idā€™d go for dull greens instead of yellows myself reallyā€¦ so you get the greenland feelā€¦ish

1 Like

Nice idea, though Iā€™ll admit the pic slapped me before I read ā€œgrassā€ and was likeā€¦that sure is a lot of yellow snow.

3 Likes

I was thinking more brown. The yellow looks a bit too bright and sandy to me, like the beach or the desert. Maybe itā€™s the right base color but it just doesnā€™t work without the right texture.

3 Likes

The biome will have snow(+blizzard) in less than 50% of its days. It must be white by default. If you go closer to north or south pole, you will see snow even in clear days.

3 Likes

Hahah! Yellow Snow :smiley:

But yes, Iā€™m now experimenting oranges and browns. Iā€™m liking them more, to be honest.
As Bruno said, it makes sense to have a lot of snow - Iā€™m aiming for a specific look, though - and it is more like a personal mod than something I plan to actually work on. Just a little something for myself (although I can share if it ends up nice, of course :slight_smile: )

Just as an idea, I was going for something like the ā€œGaliciaā€ and ā€œVolga Riverā€ maps from Battlefield 1. I love how they have yellow fields covered with some patches of snow and cold vegetation. Here are some screens:

Turns out that didnā€™t look that great in a more stylized, cube-based world :smiley: Maybe with some work, but we will seeā€¦

5 Likes

From what I can see on the pictures, a darker snow base with some scattered patches of wiry yellow/brown shrubs could work out. Still havenā€™t gotten a chance to play in the new tundra biome, though, so I may be totally off the mark here.

I, for one, like the golds and blues color scheme of the arctic biome. It fits in splendidly with the world of Hearth. A more realistic tundra is a little drab for the happy-go-lucky hearthlings in my opinion.

2 Likes

Trees grow very slowly. Using seeds, I can not restore the forest. As a result, the map turns into a desert, because you have to cut down all the trees.

Thanks for all the feedback, folks! Lots of good points here, which Iā€™ll address once Iā€™ve had the chance to discuss them with the rest of the team. Due to the holidays that might not be until Thursday.

In the meantime, please keep it coming!

4 Likes

The new faction is awesome!

A few notes however:

• I had three ā€œbad startsā€ using the loadout with two hunters and a chef, where I quickly ran out of food and everyone died because I tried to build on a narrow shore between the water and the mountains. Due to the low frequency of traders it was impossible to level up my chef as there were no sweet potatoes to be found.
    - Perhaps the chef for Nordlings can cook meat on the hearth fire or get the oven at level 1 and the flour mill at level 2?

• You have to be really careful about your storage as if it fills up with stone your Hearthlings will not pick up any meat.

So far those are the only bumps I have encountered. Other than that the new biome and faction play well.

1 Like

Looooooooove the new Vikingā€‹:wink::heart_eyes:

:forlorn:
Asked me to send template to the devs, but no need to as I know what is the problem.
Fixture columns now work but Lings place fixtures last so if there is no other way to reach certain spot than using fixture columns the structure wonā€™t be build. My testing shrine is an example of what cannot be built because Lings donā€™t know how to place the roof, they should place the columns first but as there is no slab connection between the roof and ground they refuse to work at all:

BTW, does InstaBuild work in the new builder? I tried hard but still no success.

4 Likes

Archer should pick up the goods immediately after the kill like in real life. Trappers should do the exact same when done with a cage.

2 Likes

ctrl+c > ib

do this while selecting the structure in question

Edit :

Anyone try NA on MP yet ?

1 Like