Bed Replacement / Upgrade loses Hearthling assignment

Summary:
The ‘Assign an Owner / Choose a Hearthling’ page states a hearthling has a bed when in fact they do not.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a building with a mean bed and assign a hearthling.
  2. Create a comfy bed.
  3. Pick up existing mean bed. Wait for bed to be picked up.
  4. Place new comfy bed and wait for it to be delivered.
  5. Select comfy bed and click on ‘Assign an Owner’. you will see the hearthling who was assigned to the mean bed has the status of ‘Already owns a similar object’.

Expected Results:
Hearthling should have a status showing no assignment to a bed.

Actual Results:
Status shows the hearthling assigned when in fact they do not have a bed to use.

Version Number and Mods in use:
release-687 (x64)

System Information:
Windows 10

1 Like

Maybe it’s not useable, but it’s still assigned to them, even if picked up, if I’m not mistaken. Just like content stays inside of chests and storage boxes when moved. Did you try to destroy the bed? If yes, did it help? Should be the easiest may to check my theory…

Here’s another test I made.

1. Moved mean bed from the ‘Carpenter House’ to an outside space. This was to make it easier to destroy.
  2. Bed was destroyed. Status of the owner was still showing as ‘Already owns a similar object’
  3. After bed was destroyed the mean bed was automatically reinserted into the Carpenter House but with no ‘current owner’. The previous owner was still showing ‘Already owns a similar object’.

So it looks like the status may not be updating correctly. Also it is worth considering whether the status is meant to show ownership or usability. I would guess usability is what you want to show. When you go to the ‘Assign an owner’ list you are looking for hearthlings that do not have a place to sleep.

I would love to have an unassign owner just so I can keep things straight if I have to rearrange things.

1 Like

I noticed this as well. Wasn’t really an issue in the past, but with comfy beds affecting morale this is much more important now.

1 Like

Can confirm this issue, removing a bed that already got assigned to a hearthling doesn’t cancel the assignment. Just as OP I built houses with included mean beds and later replaced them with comfy beds just to notice that it’s hard to get who lost their bed to the change.

But, there is a way to get rid of the old assignment: when the removed beds are used for crafting. As soon as I turned my mean beds into comfy ones, it was easy to spot who still needs more comfy sleep.