Alpha First Impressions [share your experience]!

Well this is Alpha 1… so all the things you’ve said are going to be worked on (I hope. You better not be slacking, @sdee, @Tom and @Ponder… ;)).

Hello hello.

I just wanted to pop in and say how much I’m enjoying the music. It’s lovely and beautiful and hopeful. Quite old school. I love it.

I’m also very taken with the way the villagers throw their wood blocks. They are outrageously cute!

1 Like

welcome aboard @Squeekineeki! :smile:

it is sickeningly cute, isn’t it? :wink:

I haven’t seen this talked about before and haven’t noticed it until now, but has anyone else heard the lullaby music that plays when you zoom up close to a settler who’s sleeping? This game keeps getting better and better! :smiley:

So adorable! xD

1 Like

i hadnt experienced it for myself, but i did see it, or rather hear it, in an LP… absolutely adorabonkers! :smile:

So this is one of my many experiences right now…

Massive stockpile plus the infinite berry glitch equals this… :slight_smile:

looks like the beginnings of pixelart to me, my friend… i see only good things coming from this… :smile:

I just like how neatly my slaves people put them… It was almost perfect.

If only you could control in what shape your citizens plopped 'em in… The possibilities are endless! :wink:

@Squeekineeki Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

First impressions,huh? (opens transcription) ZOMG ITS OOOUUUUUUT! XDXDXDXDXDXD TELL ALL MY FRIENDS. Next thing I did was was load it up, and made a town (I’ll post pics soon) and found many bugs and runtime errors:stuck_out_tongue: But I’m loving it, and I might do a lets play/mod making vidoes on youtube soon :smiley:

Guys it has only been a week since the release of alpha 1.0 and there is already mods to download, like the item spawner wich will be the Too many item mod for SH once it has more stuff, japanese mods wish will probably be amazing when more features come and etc! I AM AMAZED.

Imagine what will happen once the game hits Steam.

Imagine

Welcome to our little fuzzed up community

Once Qubicle 2 hit’s it will just get bigger remember, it’s limiting some people (e.g. Me) from being able to create models and that is a serious limiting factor. The sheer potential is amazing though.

Well, keep in mine these are my first impressions with the first alpha of Stonehearth.

1. Performance is excellent for such an early alpha on my laptop the game reports that I’m getting 52fps most of the time with only an occasional hiccup that lasts a brief split second or less where you can see something like the shadows “hitch” for a split second.

2. Absolutely adorable Stonehearthians. The little peeps are really cute.

3. Absolutely bug ridden, personally I would probably have pushed back release until some more of the more glaring bugs could be ironed out, but I know… It’s hard to do that when everybody is clamoring for the game now.

Never the less, we all realize this is the first alpha so it’s going to be full of bugs and some folks are going to have performance issues, it’s to be expected.

I didn’t want to spend too much time fooling around in the game since it has no Save/Load capabilities in this first alpha, so I personally hate losing hours of playtime when not being able to save. While that’s not a bug, it’s probably one of the things that I personally would have held back the release of the first alpha until there was a Save/Load feature to put into Stonehearth.

I look forward to seeing what future versions bring in this alpha and then beta and finally a finished game.

I’m very tempted to buy Qubicle (when version 2 comes out) to add my own touches to the game through modding, I have many ideas on TV show characters that I’d love to see in my world, which I won’t mention here so as not to have anybody else grab work ahead of me that already own the stonehearth edition of Q

In all honesty, I think this is less of an alpha build and more of a “proof of concept” type of build, this might be something you’d show off to a publisher to get them to invest in your game IMHO, little more than that.

Not sure if you saw this on the minddesk blog post so I’ll post it here in case it changes your decision!

“Since Qubicle 2 is still in the making I will setup a Qubicle 1 Stonehearth Edition coming out next week. It will offer most of the features of the Home Edition and cost $11. If you purchase a license you will get a free Steam redeem code to upgrade to Qubicle 2 Play Stonehearth once it is out (only if Qubicle 2 Play Stonehearth is greenlit). So you can say the grace period starts next week. Qubicle 2 is currently scheduled for release in March.”

http://minddesk.com/blog/modding-stonehearth-first-steps/

2 Likes

i realize this is the first impressions thread, so i wont get going on too great a tangent… but i just want to comment on this, as there are a number of people expressing the same frustration…

yes, it would be nice to save your progress… but i think there is a slight misconception on what the alpha process represents… this is a testing phase… nothing more, nothing less… we’re participating in this test, to vet systems, gameplay mechanics, etc. and comment on what works, what doesn’t, and what might be improved upon…

the alpha client should not be looked at as a “game” at this point, to simply be played and enjoyed… thats what we’re all working towards:+1:

having said that, all comments and constructive criticism like yours is of course appreciated! :smiley:

onward!

Hi fellow stonehearthian

I stumbled over this precious game by a short article of a games magazine.
Since this is a really interesting project I would like to make some contributions other then purchasing it.

While playing I was thinking about some issues which occured to me, most probably all of them are adressed already, nevertheless I would like to share them and also my impressions with you.

FYI: I am playing on the current Version r58 with latest update 04-11-14 in Steam.

Let’s start with the basics, gathering resources.

First of all I wonder why, lets say citizen A is picking berries, sometimes citizen B steps in to take the basket to the stockpile, leaving citizen A standing there, probably wondering what to do just now.

My assumption is, that all current tasks are just passed to idle citizen to keep them all busy but I got the feeling this could have an impact regarding efficiency once you are able to build larger settlements, especially when gathering resources from long distances.

In regards of those gathering tasks your citizen get hungry, while craving for food they just immediately drop whatever they are carrying and go to the food supply.
So far so good, but what if they bring, let’s just say a block of wood, then drop it to get some food while bypassing the stockpile I built for building material. Isn’t there a possibility to make them just drop the wood in the designated stockpile they are bypassing anyways instead of just leaving the block there to be picked up again?

Since I am talking about stockpiles already…

First thing I noticed is, just a minor thing, but the stockpiles just count upwards.
For instance you build two stockpiles “1” and “2”, you remove the stockpile and place another one then you got number “3”.

Another thing is, while designating a stockpile just for the food supply, and the other one for everything else but the food, the tools (carpenter-saw, traper-knife) will be just moved into the next stockpile you draw on the ground.
This seems like the tools aren’t really handled as tools in regards of stockpile management.

The carpenter

Honestly speaking, I love the “promotion-animation” you created, I always have to check it out, got something that reminds me of Bruce Lee :smile:

A little disclaimer: I am aware of the alpha-stage and do not blame you guys, just try to help you in my own way.
What troubles me with the carpenter gameplay is she/he always get stuck within the first 5 minutes after creating this class.

Probably it got to do with the withs I am creating, so I will just list them for you in the order I produce them:

• 6x mean bed
  • 2x dining table
    ** here it usually get stuck **
  • 6x cardinal chair

After my carpenter is stuck, there is no way she/he gets back to “live”, in other occassions my carpenter just ignores the cardinal chairs in the building queue and walk around doing nothing.

Do you face the same issues with the carpenter?

Placing the items:

Once my carpenter created the beds (in which the citizen with their heads in opposit direction of the headrest :wink: ) I am about to place them with the [Place items] menu.
But somehow this menu isn’t updating properly, so placed items are still in the “able to be placed” stock and after getting all the shown items placed and the list is empty it will not fill up again with the stuff my carpenter built.

I see this post is already getting way tooooo long, so I will stop for now, especially because I do not know if this helps you in any way, since it is my first one.

There would be more to mention, but I would like to to thank you guys for the hard efforts you put in this game and I am more then confident that it will turn out just the way, if not better, then you strive for :sunny:

Greets
Xium

hey there @Xium… welcome aboard, and thanks for the feedback! :smile: