Turtlesquish's Stonehearth Time Machine

Here’s a little short story which explores a few aspects of stonehearth. Mainly

but it also explores the pre-winter of stonehearth. And a little about the currency.

The wind was slight but consistent. For days it would blow across the wide valley. It was the first sign of winter. Two brothers huddled together in a solitary barn. It was a cold and colorless place, worse so in the Wind Days. Even though the walls were sound, the wind managed to find a way in. Both waited anxiously for dawn. At least during the day there was a semblance of warmth. Sleep was the best way to survive the irritating cold. But sleep eluded them, like it did most nights.

After a restless night, the brothers left the barn. They hurried towards the house for breakfast. There would be a fire in the fireplace. The very thought of heat melted their fatigue. As usual their younger siblings were already eating. As the oldest sons, they got the worst food. It was the off-season, work on the farm was practically non-existent.

Roake Umbro had slept in the city for the past few night. Now he hurried his horses, he was anxious to get home. His family would be happy to see him, and hear the news he had to share. He was getting close to the valley. Once he got to the rim he would leave the horses and the carriage at the stable. That way he could hike the steep direct route to the house.

"Daff help the younger kids eat. Mell go chop some more wood.” Ma ordered. She was not unkind, she would give Mell extra food. Mell, of course, did not see it like this, but he knew never to disobey. He took the ax and went outside.

Not long after Roake came home. After eating a quick meal he and ma went to the kitchen.

“Illoywan Freywind ‘proached me yesterday. He is openin an estate in the east. He needs young strong hands. He said he wants Daff and Mell to go, he would give us a full coin a month while they are ‘way. I told him I would ask em. Well what do you think?’ Roake asked.

“A full coin, I can hardly believe it. We ‘abetter talk to the boy’s right ‘way. I hope ol’ Freywind lets ‘em come visit every now and again.” Jess Umbro said back.

The next day Roake brought Daff and Mell to the city. Freywind bought them new clothes and tools. They met the other settlers and together they loaded up a wagon. Freywind handed Roake a gold coin and a contract, Roake signed it keeping a neutral expression. His expression still neutral he hugged his two boys. They climbed into the wagon, and they were off. Freywind and Roake watched the wagon go down the road and vanish around a corner. A new world has been opened.

4 Likes