Tobias' Norsemen (and women) WIP

thanks, ive set this thread for watching.:smiley:

1 Like

@naturalnuke cheers, I will try not to dissappoint :slight_smile:

In that spirit here are the first of the Hel faction, the Draugr.
With skin blue as glacial ice and hair bleached to the colour of bone by Hels eldritch winds they come; the dishonoured dead. Dragging with them the ruined weapons of ancient battles.

I am hoping the hands will look better when animated as they have longer fingers the better for grasping and dragging (maybe poking and pinching too)

8 Likes

Tobias, I just felt that you should know I absolutely love your models.

I love the ruined effect you have given the clothing of the Draugr, and I understand what youā€™re trying to portray, but I canā€™t help but feel like the body of the Draugr is slightly too thin? This might not work, but perhaps try and add a bit more ā€˜meatā€™ to certain parts of the body, so it has a ruined effect similar to that of the armour?

I would have to say my favourite is the horned helmet guy in the first image.

i would agreeā€¦ if the intent is to make them look emaciated, you might try removing some of the bulk from the thighs as wellā€¦ or, perhaps you could go the route of having portions of their torso missing?

overall though, i love the direction youā€™re going with themā€¦ their eyes look especially sunkenā€¦ nice work!

@SteveAdamo @Geoffers747
Gentlemen, you are of course correct.
I was rather hoping that when posed/animated the arm/hand/things would be higher and balance the top of the body. However a little more sunken blue flesh is probably the order of the day. When viewed from afar i want them to look as unlike the standard civs as possible but not to the point of them becoming pencils :slight_smile:

Be right backā€¦ umm in the mean time here is the roughest of rough longboat. Trying to treat it like a building (big voxels, fewest to define form and so onā€¦ not overly satisfied)

10 Likes

If your settlers built boats, in the same way that they built houses.

I donā€™t think I would be able to contain my excitement in all honesty.

@TobiasSabathius, I cannot praise you enough, the boat looks fantastic.

1 Like

Right I have force fed a draugr on maggots, grubs and such and he has put on a little weight. At the risk of turning this into miss world could you cast you eyes over him and let me know what you think. Enough? or does he need somemore breakfasts/gym time?

3 Likes

@Geoffers747 I didnā€™t think of that!
drag out a hull outline and then define the features, off go your chaps building scaffolds and so forth. Hmm I smell a new class: Shipwright

5 Likes

As for the Dragur - looks infinitely better, what would it look like if the detail for the spine and arm ā€˜stubsā€™ were a greyish white? Or at least a white that fits in with the colour scheme, to further detail the bones? Ignoring that, possibly trivial criticism, the Draugr looks infinitely better now, actually has more of a bodily form whilst maintaining that emaciated look.

In regards to the boat - definitely. Customisation options could essentially be unlimited! You have to drag out each part of the boat, add in the masts, sleeping quarters even? Lets make this happen!!

first, the boat is all sorts of awesomenessā€¦ that must make it into the gameā€¦ :wink:

second, the dragur looks considerably betterā€¦ to the point where i have very little constructive criticism to offerā€¦ i love his abdomen, and those spines/backbone look wickedā€¦ i would have to agree with @Geoffers747 again on the coloring thoughā€¦ something to make them stand out a bit moreā€¦

this guy is definitely intimidating thoughā€¦ hereā€™s hoping we can hire him as an ā€œenforcerā€ for the town? :smiley:

1 Like

Love all of your work here! :slight_smile:

As for the draugr:
The new one i definitely better.
Maybe, just maybe try make the shoulders one step wider (still in a bony way though).
And maybe just maybe make the feet a bit less blocky, unless thatā€™s how you want them of course.

As for the longboat and that you are ā€œnot overly satisfiedā€.
I like it and I think you got the shape right. I guess what ruins it a bit is that the very round shields make the curved parts of the boat look very rough. I understand that you want to use as few voxels as possible and usually Iā€™m all for that, but in this case I actually think you can double the resolution or at least get it up a little bit more. If you feel a need to motivate it then say that walls of buildings are thick as logs and boats are made of planks. Either way, the sail needs a higher resolution or it will be thick as a log when itā€™s rolled out. Also the roll seem to be as thick as a human is tall right now and thatā€™s definitely too thick.
And I admit I would love to see what the dragon head would look like with a higher resolution.

Canā€™t wait to see more from you!

Being an Norwegian, this is the coolest thing ever. I wold just love trying to defend from Vikings (or attack as them) since they are literary my ancestors. Could you make any more Norse gods like Thor, Baldr, Loki, Freyja, Frigg, SkaĆ°i ect. as well?

2 Likes

Cool! What font is that?

oh yesā€¦ definitely, yesā€¦ and while i recognized most of the names you referenced, i stumbled across another of Odinā€™s offspring HermĆ³Ć°rā€¦

1 Like

@LordRylabeth
I was think about this yesterday, It would be a poor thing if a god could turn up and be killed or something like that obviously so trying to discover what role they could play is a tricky one.

The answer I came up with is this (subject to change and good ideas):
After a large battle (theshold to be decided) there is a chance the Odin will be sighted near your settlement
For those of your people that see him there is a small chance that he hands then a fate. so one of the following may happen.

• If a Craftsman they are inspired and are able to create a master or
    legendary level item
  • If they are a normal Civ they may be given a fate and become a
    craftsman/warrior/etc
  • If they are a warrior they may recieve a doom, and fall in the next
    battle but have a large stat boost until then
  • If they are a warrior they may be blessed and recieve a permanent
    small to medium stat boost
  • If they are a Civ they may be inspired and wander off to the nearest
    monster camp to glory (and certain death)

Only one or two should be affected each time Odin is seen and he should turn up exceedingly rarely. The civ so affected will also gain a name suffix , ā€¦the fated, ā€¦the doomed, ā€¦the blessed.

I will definitely make a Loki but I am not sure about more than that, I dont want it to become a constant parade of Aesir like saturday down the Asgardian shopping mall :wink:

2 Likes

@Tom the font is a free one called Scurlock. I got to indulge my love of fonts for an afternoon trawling through the font websites looking for one which wasnā€™t too far from the Stonehearth style.

Odin could be made to give fates while Loki might appear dressed as Odin and ask for a great ā€œsacrificeā€ in turn for a fate.

A very early, first draft of the Varulf. Ignore the legs and lack of tail just trying to get a feel for the posture and head.

@naturalnuke awesome idea :slight_smile:

9 Likes

nice creations you made there

Excellent work @TobiasSabathius, thanks for the inspiration! On your Varulf - the one thing Iā€™ve learned from the live streams is not to stress much about stance in the modeling and let the animating build that in. Granted, Iā€™m sure youā€™re just modeling at this point and trying to get a visual of what you are intending long term. Regardless, very well done.

1 Like