New Class: Wizards

Wizards would be cool, and not necessarily overpowered. i think a wizard job tree would be cool, with a different kinds of mages with specializations. some examples:
Wizards for combat (probably high level character)
Shamans to improve farming / breeding or alter the weather (medium level character)
Enchanters to enchant armor weapons and maybe even tools (medium level character)

Mages don’t have to be overpowered as long as they can only do a few specific things. Mages would be awesome as long as a low level mage will be about as useful as a farmer.

Salutations!

I couldn’t agree more, It would be a great benefit to building your empire, and I am Wizard.

-Wizard Max-

Yeah, there is clearly an intention for a broad range of specialized magic using classes across the board in the base game, but that’s the beauty of modding: You can change things.

So instead of an elementalist and a magma smith and a wizard and who knows how many other high level dudes that can do magic, you have the Arch Mage or Grand Mage or whatever, and his eventual apprentices maybe.

The idea of rarer magic and possibly it being potentially powerful, but low key initially makes me think of Conan the Barbarian and Swords and Sorcery, actually. Maybe in that kind of mod, the costs for increasingly powerful magic…

Well they might not be exactly family friendly. Or entirely pleasant sacrifices (literally mind you in some cases) on your part. But hey, if you wanted a direct way to battle or placate or even control titans or maybe small titan type creatures, that would be the way under that kind of paradigm. Roll out the sacrifices, hope they like it.

Your Wizard might also eventually just generally be sort of demanding to the point of looking suspiciously like the actual ruler of your settlement rather than the supposed rulers. And given the concept of “consequences” for certain actions, if it’s swords and sorcery, he might attract adorable little Barbarians and Adventurers in general seeking to cut off his adorable little head and generally destroy the “evil” wizard. Oh, and rob you too. Can’t have a generic Conan type without randomly killing or beating up some of your guards and stealing your shinies.(And he or she might actually be kind of evil too. Especially if you squeezed the trigger on doing Bad Stuff as supernatural payment.)

It’s not a so cheat, it’s a logical consecuence, if you don’t eat, you die. But yeah, there can be tons of consecuences, like a huge debuff for your crafters, i’m still working on it.

this is interesting… instead of the approach that magic is completely rare, they could take another angle… it might be pervasive, but not overly beneficial without years and years of practice…

so the typical magic wielding unit could perhaps light candles, and move small objects (simple examples of the limited use of their powers)…

3 Likes

im gonna try keep on topic but the geomancer it says can craft tireless earthen golems to support you citizens or something like that will they have a limited amount of golems if so what if you just wanna change you people to warriors and have them do the fighting while the golems do the work what im wondering is for the golems could you get more by finding runes in abandoned ruins and using them for your geomancer if so why stop at just workers why cant you make fighting golems ect the more powerful the rune the stronger the golem and i belive the will be a rare magic TITAN if you kill him he could drop a powerful rune for you city maybe you could craft a large golem designed for being basically a tank for the titan not dishing out punishment but buying you enough time to figure out ways off winning and if your not into how it looks to have a largeish golem in the middle of your city there could always be an animate/deanimate button so it actually looks like a sculpture and can add to decoration in say a floral garden of sorts

I am loving this idea. The image of a huge slowly moving titan with birds nesting in its beard standing in the middle of town really pleases me

1 Like

and we he starts to move you see the birds start flying off him and civilians standing in awe kinda like if youve seen Atlantis the cartoon version they have guardians who make a force field to protect them this wont be a forcefield but it could be a big thing and thanks glad you like my idea :smiley:

I think a kind of ritual magic would be more approbate. Druids care for expanding and caring for the sacred grove, thereby pleasing their gods. Building idols or sacrificing for example grain and wood to fertility goddess for a better harvest. Shaman caring for nature, reverting damaged areas, soothing restless spirits, thereby gaining the favours of benign spirits. Priests building temples, where pray and sacrifices create faith, need by the gods to create miracles. The wizards, sorceress and warlocks building towers (researching new spells) altar and ritual sites for their rituals manipulating the arcane powers using rare ingredients.

which brings us to an important point, the young wizards who just lost his beloved to a freak accident with an iron-wool sheep (more common than you think). Starts to dapple in the dark arts, and thereby bringing about the zombie-apocolypse. :smiling_imp:

Combat caster should be about as rare as the magmasmith or the beast master.

1 Like

consider me pleased as well… :smile:

agreed… their rarity adds to the uniqueness of magic itself in the land…

Well, I mean, magicians would typically NOT be forced to cast only one or two types of spells, right? They should be able to cast any kind of spell. What that means is that the magician class can have a “buff”-ing spell, it can have a splash damage spell, it can have a shield spell, it could have a high-damage snipe spell, or a de-buffing spell, or almost anything (within reason). In these ways, the magician could act as a healer, a paladin, a defensive unit, a tank, an “officer” unit, and a dps unit all in one. (I was using RPG terminology, not anything else)

This combination of attributes should lead to [quote=“SteveAdamo, post:28, topic:1547”]
rarity
[/quote]

which would in turn lead to [quote=“SteveAdamo, post:28, topic:1547”]
the uniqueness of magic itself in the land…
[/quote]

1 Like

i agree basically anything that can fit its class ie a tank type mage from rpgs could have a high amount of absorption spells to protect itself while acting as a target for your troops to deal damage or a support class where they give u buff ect ect they can do anything but must remain inside their class

Well, what I mean is that, since the wizard isn’t really bound to only one type of spell, it is an all-in-one type of thing, and as such should be very difficult to create/promote to. Of course, it wouldn’t be as good at tanking as a Defender class would be, for example, or it may not do as much damage as, say, an Executor or Ballista or something, but it can do almost everything relatively well. That should be the case if wizards are rare. If not, then they should be more specialized and less rounded out skill-wise.

Rare Wizards = Omni-Unit

Common Wizards = Single-Purpose Unit

The question now is to decide which one is better. I think that the Rare Wizards would be better than having common wizards.

1 Like

ahh k get ya good idea only hope it can be implemented

as i’ve alluded to before, common magic would really only work if the abilities were very mundane… i think im leaning more towards magic being very rare, but equally powerful…

1 Like

Indeed, that is how I would prefer to have it. Having a wizard in combat should be of similar value to having a Hero in combat. Not a Champion (Big Hero), but a normal Hero.

agreed… which makes me wonder how common (or easy to promote to) the “big” classes will be… the geomancer, engineer and magma smith…

Salutations everyone!

I just wanted to teleport here and say this, I will certainly approve of Wizard class!

-Wizard Max- (teleports away)

1 Like

OK, 1 week has passed. Bump!!

ok, 1-2 bumps i can ignore… but only while my pain medicine is in full effect…

1 Like