Mining height suggestion

I’ve noticed that mining zones are broken down into 4x4 ‘deep blocks’ and 1x4 ‘surface blocks’. Mining zones can thus be 4x4x4 in size or 5x4x4, depending on if you click on a top surface or on a wall side.

When mining out cliff areas, I remove 5x4x4 chunks but often find the villagers stopping the task and wandering off. Peripheral parts of the ‘surface’ blocks end up not being mined and float around until I build a ladder for them to be reached. The mining zone remains highlighted and other parts of that zone are ignored:

Here, you can see a ladder up front that I had placed to remove a floating cube. The one behind it needed another ladder to be mined. The left mining zone is 3/4 finished, but not progressing.

I think this is related to the villagers prioritising mining in the center of the mining zone, to not get stuck. I love this feature as it makes pit-mining easy, helping to prevent villagers mining themselves into a pit.

My suggestion is that the villagers can mine 5 blocks high. It might seem like a bit of a reach, but I don’t think it would make gameplay ‘cheap’ in any way. It would also not mess up the pit-mining feature by removing the steps prematurely.

5 Likes

The mining menu is pretty empty. I think it would be reasonable to have a 4 x 4 x 5 mining tool alongside the current one.

1 Like

Well you can currently mine both 4x4x4 and 5x4x4 blocks with ease. The issue is that they can’t reach 5 blocks up, leading to scattered floating blocks that pause mining.

Are you saying they should be able to mine the block above them?

1 Like

Yup! :man_with_gua_pi_mao:

1 Like

I agree with @phector2004 I had that problem as well and it gets aggravating fast.

2 Likes

I’ll third this. I’ve had problems getting that fifth layer mined as well.

1 Like

@RepeatPan has outdone himself once again, will be interesting to see if this partially fixes or worsens these issues

A rework on the current 4x4 mining selection tool!

3 Likes