Let's talk zones!

i could absolutely see an interface where, once a military unit is selected, we have an option to assign one or more waypoints… the screen would have the same grid overlay we see when in design mode, the player can move around the map and select multiple points for a unit to walk between, and then hit “confirm route”…

"are you sure you want this route" ... "yes!" "no, i want to edit the route"
2 Likes

The issue I see with having the patrol system attached solely to the individual is that it makes it inconvenient to make new routes etc. because you have to select the unit first; not only do you need to search through a town of very similar looking people for one carrying a sword, you also need to find one that doesn’t already have a route assigned.

What I was thinking of was a new GUI button for patrols that when clicked makes patrol waypoints visible, and then makes two new buttons available - new route and edit route. The new route button speaks for itself, and the edit route button allows you to click on an existing waypoint/route and bring up a context sensitive options menu, with options like move waypoint, add waypoint, delete route, suspend route, and a menu for adding or removing units/squads from the patrol.

4 Likes

love the idea … so the player “builds” waypoint/paths that can then be assigned to units… brilliant! :+1:

2 Likes

Hello,

I’ve been following Stonehearth since the beginning, but only started playing it seriously in Alpha 6, as I felt the game had got consistent enough to be truly enjoyable. I was going to post a suggestion about allowing us to assign a bed/chair to a specific character, so for example my carpenter wouldn’t get his bed stolen by some other guy, but then I figured this could be more or less done another way, by a feature I call “exclusion zones”.

The idea would be to add a new kind of zone, called, exclusion zone. When creating such a zone using the already existing zone tool, you’d be able to define which classes (worker, carpenter, etc) are allowed to enter it, just like you define which resources can be stored in a storage zone. Once the zone is created, only guys from the allowed classes would be able to walk through this zone.

This would allow, rather simply and with no effect for people who don’t care about that kind of micromanagement, to do many things : I could make sure my carpenter’s house is only accessible by himself and other carpenters, I could dedicate a room to solders or prevent workers from entering the dining hall because they’re too dirty !

What do you think ?

I think its a brilliant use of an existing gameplay mechanic… but if memory serves, I think this same premise was touched on in @Teleros’s thread… let me dig that up…

edit:

I swear in one of the twitch videos he was talking about how the carpenter mason and blank signs and etc that the carpenter makes will let you assign buildings to specific people (including the beds inside) so they are already working on this

He did say that was how they were planning on doing it, though it’s not necessarily set in stone.

Hello

Since the start, i wish to make some villages on the map and expend like that.
Making thus my hearthlings dispatched all over the map.

I was asking my self if a way of linking them to zones is planned.
Since I don’t want my farmers to go all his way through the map to plow a field (for exemple).
Thing that will be pretty annoying if we end up with an “infinite” map (like in minecraft)

1 Like

I think you may find related ideas here:

Else this is at least extremely fitting @SteveAdamo @Geoffers747

2 Likes

Right, i didn’t see this topic (don’t know how i did my research … or it’s maybe because i didn’t have my coffee yet …)
My bad for this (it’s kinda a duplicate of the point 5 of the topic you linked)

1 Like

no worries… [merged] :smile: :+1:

1 Like

It is a great idea though maybe do something like Prison Architects thing? They have an intelligent distribution of of which kitchens deliver food to where but if you want you can change the overall orders.

If you ever played Roller Coaster Tycoon or Theme Park, you basically painted paths for janitors to follow and clean up after the people. Same thing-ish. You could attach it to the person, or make it a separate thing, and assign groups to it.

1 Like

I think this is a great idea! Moreover it solves some issues with waypoints. I got some “mining” far away from my town, and they hardly move there to pick stuff or mine. With a Zone where i can delegate people to it would fix this pathfinding problem.

So what do I mean by zones, well, one could be work zones, say I know there is this Goblin village and I want to limit how far my Hearthlings will go for this and that? Then I simply drag out a work zone, say if I want to have farms working in different fields? Then come in farm work zone one, farm work zone two, with allocated people in the group much like the defense / attack party system.

This could also allow for some ways of pathing control for guards / archers (When they come, MAN THE WALLS!)

Kinda like this idea! Trying to think, from a performance/dev standpoint, a way this could be accomplished without a huge impact… Nope nothing! Maybe I need more coffeee…hmmmm

That takes part in a larger and general sugg : managing more than one hearthling at the same time.
Then you can expend : flag point, limits, orders for many, etc :grinning:

there was a thread on this a long time ago…

this one?

That’s a topic to keep and why not adding new suggestions to it :no_mouth: