I've figured it out! Goblin Hordes

I’VE WORKED IT OUT! :smiley:

Okay so, after experimenting on a separate computer, I have come to the conclusion that the main reason it spawns hordes for some users and not for others is because of this one simple factor: Lag.

The slower computers seemingly generate large amounts of enemies on Day 3, whereas on this faster computer, I have only managed to get a group of 2 goblins on Day 5, which would make me assume that a slower computer will run ticks at a faster rate than a faster computer.

Therefore, a slower computer will probably tick maybe 5x faster than a faster computer, due to the fact that it covers more time in the systems mind, where in fact less time has been covered.

So, the way this would need to be fixed is that it would have to check based on game time, instead of by tick intervals. Because a tick will run at the same speed regardless of the computer, but game time will run slower or faster.

Hopefully this helps with the random horde problem! Maybe this is why the dev team has not discovered the problem before the release! :slight_smile:

EDIT: We are going to test this theory, post your computer specs, the day you encountered goblins and the quantity below! :slight_smile: Thank you

1 Like

Ok, let’s put that to the test… System spec time!

Windows 7
Intel i7-2670QM CPU @2.20 Ghz 2.20 Ghz
8 Gigs Ram
Nvidia GeForce GT 640m

At the most i get 2 goblins (Day 8 In game at the moment)

2 Likes

!TESTING!

• Microsoft Windows 8.1 Update 1 64-Bit - Build 9600

• Intel CORE i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz 2401 Mhz 4 Cores 8 Logical Processors

• LENOVO 74CN44WW (V3.05, 9/18/2013)

• Nvidia GEFORCE 780M

• 8 GB RAM

Haven’t seen many hordes, yet, though it may change.

2 Likes

This seems like a good possibility. Nice catch.

1 Like

I’ve only seen the horde once, and never when I was playing the unstable branch it was only after the official release. In the one non-typical instance of a goblin horde they showed up became frozen and invincible.

System Specs:
-Processor: Intel Core i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz
-Memory: 8 Gigs Ram (Gskill)
-GFX: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

My results:

• Windows 7, 64 Bit, SP 1
  • Intel Core i7 - 4770K CPU @ 3,50 GHz 8 Cores
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16,0 GByte Kit DDR3-1833
  • Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC

Most times goblins spawn between day 3-6 in groups of 2.
One time i had a big wave with maybe 10 goblins on day 8. (but unstable one)
Last time i had 4 goblins on day 3 (stable one)

Nearly in 1/2 of my games one of the goblins get frozen and invincible.

1 Like

I’ll put together a data sheet containing all the data from your replies, to see if I can find a pattern :slight_smile:

• Processor: AMD FX-8320 (8 Core) 3.5Ghz
  • Memory: 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3
  • Video: ATI Radeon HD 5500
  • Sound: Realtek HD Audio
  • Storage1: 128GB SSD (Win 7)
  • Storage2: 2TB SATA

I always get 2-3 goblins on night 2, although I had it once delay to night 3.

I get them again on night 5 or 6.

Only had a 10+ goblin encounter once and was lucky enough to see it happening, but didn’t get a recording of it because Bandicam wasn’t running and I was afraid alt+tab would crash the game. Here’s how it happened;

• Night 3 I had a group spawn in to the “north” of my village, but just stood there.
  • Night 5 a group spawned in to the “north west” and did the same, just stood there.
  • My tracker was moving “south” to hunt, which might be important.
  • Night 8 a group spawned in to the “south west” of the village and moved immediately.
  • My tracker was near to this group at the time, and returning to the village.
  • When group 3 started moving, the other 2 groups came alive and did the same.
  • All groups converged on the same point of my village.
  • Suspect if I wasn’t watching it might have looked like the attack was all 1 spawn.
  • Have, thus far, been unable to reproduce.
3 Likes

Awesome, if you do a few more tests, write your results here, maybe compare? Just incase it’s random or all happens in sequence with one another.

Only played for half an hour yet in this release, but did not get any goblin attacks during that time (good thing too, cause I did not get any footmen yet worried about the footman promotion error messages mentioned somewhere).

Specs:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX-version: DirectX 11
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Game runs very smoothly on highest settings, even while recording with Fraps.

30 minutes is a good testing period, any idea what day you got to?
I’d be curious to know how long you were goblin-free, but seemingly there is a trend here based on computer performance…

Let’s see, I had gone through three full days and was at the start of the third night when I stopped for the time being.

Well then you’ve passed the PONR for the army, seemingly if you are going to get horde rushed, you get hit at day 3 - I’m not sure if anyone has gotten horde rushed past this day? Maybe someone can confirm this?

EDIT: If you still have this save file, think you could send some villagers to explore around the area of your town? Maybe you might find some waiting for no reason?

Well, there was this:

I’ll certainly give that a go. Could be a little while before I am able to get back to it, though, between going through the bugs for what I have recorded so far in that first half hour, and life’s other responsibilities getting in the way.

Hmm, okay.
I have a few other concerns about this issue, I’ve outlined them in the same topic:
This is in relation to pathing being an issue mind you

Of course, I understand how hectic life can get sometimes, whenever you have a free moment of course :slight_smile:

1 Like

Theres an easy solution to this problem.
If you dont want hordes than you have to explore the map. I thought the devs mentioned this fact in one of their videos (unexplored terrain will cause spawns).

Also the suggestion that a slow PC will spawn more Goblins can’t be right. Because my lovely Laptop (I7-Processor) created in every round I have played a horde of Goblins except I had explored the map.

Seemed logical at the time, through limited testing, but I guess not then…