[Dev blog] Desktop Tuesday: What to Expect from Stonehearth Alpha 1

I for one would like to hear more about @SteveAdamo’s shady drug dealing sister-in-law who peddles cranberry sauce.

Failing that, I’m quite happy with the features they have announced so far and look forward to seeing some of the proposed mods start to take shape.

2 Likes

Since the Alpha is coming out in December. It might be a good idea to set up your humble bundle account right now or look into it. The humble bundle does not give out Steam keys any more. You have to link you Steam account to your humble bundle account. But they do allow you to download your games without using Steam.

2 Likes

thanks for the heads up @Skull24!

Ok, this wasn’t mentioned on the list of things that were to be expected… except it felt like a no brainer: Will we have some form of UI in the Alpha 1? ~ whether or not it’s final, will there be a UI in the version?

I’m guessing yes. But overtime they will make changes and updates to remove or add certain functions.

Here’s are some good questions.

1. Will we be allowed to record and post footage of the Alpha on
    YouTube
    ?
  2. Will we be allowed to stream the game on streaming sties
    like Twitch.tv?

I like most of the people here on the forums assume that we can. But I always find it best to ask permission before hand.

There is ui in the test so I see no reason why there wouldn’t be, plus the presence of crafting kind of requires it.

@Skull24, I’m pretty sure it was actually stated somewhere that you can, you’d probably need someone who has kept better track than me though to find the quote as it’s probably buried somewhere.

I also have a solution for the beta/preview/alpha issue, only release one major alpha, the next release will be the beta, then the gamma version, then delta and so on. That gives 24 versions over the 9 months so about a version every week and a half or so, plus we get to change things up and the full release will be Stonehearth: Omega Edition.

3 Likes

yes, and yes… @sdee has stated this is in fact encouraged… :+1:

2 Likes

@Xavion hat naming idea is fantastic! I could definitely get behind that, rather than Alpha 1.7 or whatever :stuck_out_tongue:

Also @Skull24 believe they said that they were both permitted. However, alike Xavion, I can’t find the quote.

I am pretty confident UI will be included in the release. Definitely to the extent of being able to assign tasks and be able to craft, as these have been promised.

Edit: Okay, so apparently Steve beat me to post but it didn’t update the topic for me until I’d posted. So yes, we can, I was pretty confident it had been Steph who’d said yes. So there you go :stuck_out_tongue:

nice! but while an interesting naming convention, it would be pretty unconventional… in a RAD environment, there will be plenty of scenarios for rushed point releases, etc. to address major game-breaking bugs between otherwise planned releases…

still, Stonehearth Zeta has a nice ring to it… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I like that naming. Only beta 1,5 week after alpha might confuse some people :smile:
And if we need more versions after omega, we just go with alpha-omega.

That’s good to know. They may have to make a Video Policy page similar to this one from Blizzard. Because YouTube will ask the uploader to prove that they can use the footage of the game they uploaded. I hate to see someone’s videos get flag or worst taken down from no reason.

A sensible idea, and perhaps one of us could write such a document and send it to Radiant to review and alter rather than have to type up themselves. That way we can make sure it permits for everything necessary, as people here seem to have the know-how and Radiant might not. I might read up and do it at some point soon if my week lets up.

1 Like

I’m no YouTube expert, but content that is publicly accessible is legal, I would think… you obviously can’t play copyrighted songs during your sessions, etc.

1 Like

As far as I remember this is about some companies that view everything in their games as their own intellectual property, so to post images and videos of your game sessions would already count as copyright infringement.
There was a pretty ugly discussion about all this, but I believe after it became clear that all this beautiful self marketing effects that lets play videos and other types of videos that fans make do have, would in fact stop to exist and on top of that fans would become quite alienated, even the companies who originally had that weird idea let it drop.
Some of the policies that larger companies have are remnants of that time, to clearly state for their fans that of course it is okay to boast with screenshots and videos.
I don’t believe nowadays Youtube would become active on their own, as long as no songs with problematic copyright situation are being used.

Here’s my write up. Tell me what you think.

Radiant Entertainment will allow individual(s) to use recorded videos of our games. For YouTube monetization as long as the video is related to the game(s). For example; Let’s Plays, Previews, Reviews or other similar type of videos. Radiant Entertainment also allows the use of our in-game music.

If you have any questions, please contact us.

Sounds good! Perhaps a section about Twitch too? Just literally saying:

We also permit the use of Stonehearth and its affiliated music on Twitch and/or other livestreaming websites.

I’m not a bigwig so excuse my lack of corporate lingo…:stuck_out_tongue:

YouTube Terms of Service (not for the faint of heart):

6. Your Content and Conduct

• As a YouTube account holder you may submit Content to the Service, including videos and user comments. You understand that YouTube does not guarantee any confidentiality with respect to any Content you submit.

• You shall be solely responsible for your own Content and the consequences of submitting and publishing your Content on the Service. You affirm, represent, and warrant that you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to publish Content you submit; and you license to YouTube all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to such Content for publication on the Service pursuant to these Terms of Service.

• For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your Content. However, by submitting Content to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content in connection with the Service and YouTube’s (and its successors’ and affiliates’) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the Service a non-exclusive license to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service. The above licenses granted by you in video Content you submit to the Service terminate within a commercially reasonable time after you remove or delete your videos from the Service. You understand and agree, however, that YouTube may retain, but not display, distribute, or perform, server copies of your videos that have been removed or deleted. The above licenses granted by you in user comments you submit are perpetual and irrevocable.

• You further agree that Content you submit to the Service will not contain third party copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third party proprietary rights, unless you have permission from the rightful owner of the material or you are otherwise legally entitled to post the material and to grant YouTube all of the license rights granted herein.

• You further agree that you will not submit to the Service any Content or other material that is contrary to the YouTube Community Guidelines, currently found at Policies - YouTube, which may be updated from time to time, or contrary to applicable local, national, and international laws and regulations.

• YouTube does not endorse any Content submitted to the Service by any user or other licensor, or any opinion, recommendation, or advice expressed therein, and YouTube expressly disclaims any and all liability in connection with Content. YouTube does not permit copyright infringing activities and infringement of intellectual property rights on the Service, and YouTube will remove all Content if properly notified that such Content infringes on another’s intellectual property rights. YouTube reserves the right to remove Content without prior notice.

Why did you post this? It’s a lot to read and understand.

Whilst I don’t think Radiant will need something of the same length and depth as Youtube’s, I imagine they’ll have some sort of catch-all statement for streaming/ videos. We hyad a massive discussion about this so I’ll see about moving these over.

In terms of the length of Steves’s post, unfortunately these things are this long … Just to give an idea of what you’re dealing with I suppose!

what he said… :smile:

honestly, i was searching for something simple, that we could use as an example for radiant… i was surprised to find virtually nothing in regards to a “waive and release” agreement… i eventually landed on YT’s terms of service page, and a little part of me died on the inside… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes