An elegant solution to carrying large objects

In the last 30 minutes, I’ve stroked a Burmese python, a skunk, a monitor lizard and a baby marmoset monkey.

I’m all cuted out for the day.

And in the interest of not being hypocritical with asking people to stay on topic … boxes.

Pfffttt…

Edit, ooops, So boxes… cool huh?

i think the idea of leveraging these boxes when dealing with “shipments” has really stuck with me… we know we’ll see visiting merchants from time to time… so, perhaps we strike a deal to purchase some rare materials, and the merchant heads out to acquire them…

some in-game time later, we see a pack animal return with a crate or two, containing the rare items, and it gets delivered in town… conversely, we could offer trade goods (if we can eventually trade with other factions/races), that are bundled up in crates to make for easier transport…

2 Likes

I think we have a winner.

I have no issue with the icons as they are at the moment as representative of larger objects. And I think @SteveAdamo’s idea surrounding trade and the like sounds excellent to me! Especially if/when we progress to the naval side of things - loading the crates onto a ship would make me happy on so many levels.

Edit: As a stupid gameplay mechanic, the stacking of boxes would obviously be beneficial to storage, but perhaps you would only be allowed to stack boxes of the same item, so as to not lose something, or put something you need at the back of a pile?

Most likely it would have to adopt the same storage mechanism as chests; directed inventory. Even if you had one crate for each stacked resource.

When it comes to multiple boxes being placed physically, you probably don’t want stacks to be anything but representative; top crate always being the one you want removed. Otherwise we have logistics of the pyramid of 10 boxes with the one you want to take being second from the bottom row; and having to dismantle the whole thing =X

1 Like

I edited my first post to add clarity. I don’t want people to think that I’m hating on the small model variant. I actually like it. It’s just a massive amount of work and imposes limitations on gameplay.

As for the transport of goods over trade routes, - I’ll try to create a mock up for the docks and wagons over the weekend.

1 Like

I’m quite proud of this next piece and as such I’m going to dedicate it to @SteveAdamo and @Geoffers747 for their unrelenting constructive criticism and inspiration.

12 Likes

as well you should be… that is, frankly, beyond words… it looks like you ripped a scene right out of the game… and for that sir, i thank you… :smile:

you even baked in shadows… good grief you are a talented so-and-so…

That is everything i could ever dream of and more.

Froggy, you are a genius.

you are a frog god arent you? no mortal could ever create something as amazing as these! and to stay on topic.
with the boxes i like the idea of just hovering over them and just having a little pop-up of the object appearing.

I like these boxes! I’d like to stack those around everywhere where’s something new coming up.

But on the other hand, I wouldn’t mind IKEA-style’d(I hope at least most knows what I mean) like bringing bed in 4 pieces and one assembles it in place to full size bed.

The crates are le nice, though they are a bit bright. Almost white, even.

It really contrasts when put next to other wooden objects.

perhaps they are a birch or pine, as compared to a rosewood or walnut?

It’s still quite bright. Besides, even the lightest wood Radiant has presented is darker than these crates. When next to, say, stone or grass, it looks fine, but when placed next to wood it looks very bright.

Wow this is an old thread! These images were my first ever attempt at creating anything in Qubicle and Max. Way before I knew anything about lighting and shadows!

1 Like

cautiously steps out in front of @Froggy

yeah! it was waaay before he was as super awesome as he is now… :tongue:

leaps back

1 Like