An elegant solution to carrying large objects

Maybe crates could also make a quick plug/barricade if needed (e.g. wall breaks in an invasion of a storehouse, the workers then quickly pile all the crates into a makeshift barricade. Because in an invasion you wouldn’t have time to build another wall and would just throw stuff in the way that they would have to take time clearing).

It’s an awesome idea, and I understand this would save time, however I don’t think it is a huge hassle to make the the miniature version if Tom has to model the big version regardless; it would take him a relatively small amount of time to figure out the mini version. I know this time adds up but the mini models add character to the game. Every stockpile just being a pile of crates seems ugly and confusing in my mind. Plus coming up with a visually interesting and creative symbol for the side would be a job in itself that could potentially take a good chunk of time as well. The time saved against gameplay lost ratio just isn’t favorable enough to me.

These crates would be awesome for storing large quantities of items in some sort of storehouse. If you could store multiples of one item in these crates making them take up less space, that would be super cool.

1 Like

I agree. This might be a better interpretation of the “barrels” idea that was mentioned during one of the livestreams (90% sure it was the workshop one).

This would work well if say you were moving villages or even delivering a shipment. Just pile a few boxes onto a carriage and away you go. I like it.

1 Like

interesting idea… there are definitely some possible alternative uses to the crates… whoda thunk there could be such a dynamic discussion around boxes… :blush:

1 Like

I still think I’m right. hrmmpf -sulks

1 Like

i was going to save this for later, but you sound like you could use it now… :two_men_holding_hands:

1 Like

I actually still agree, crates are far from ugly, and make for nice standardization
the sides do need pictograms though, for identification

1 Like

some enterprising modders could possible leverage these crates, and do something like increase the speed of transport if you use crated goods, vs. miniatures? so, if you wanted to ship a bed across town, you could put it in a crate, and have a 5% increase in travel time…

eh, just a thought… i dont want @Froggy to think his efforts have been in vain… :smile:

Oh I would never think that. Tenacity my friend! or maybe denial… not sure which yet!

1 Like

Well it is a nice crate and I like that it’s pileable. I like the small models more though and as mentioned earlier designing good icons could take time too.
Having some kind of container to store multiple things in is good. I know a lot of people want to use them to store like 10 things of anything in one square. I feel that is a bit too magical though. However, it could be used for small stuff that shouldn’t require a whole square in a stockpile.
An extension of this (that people probably won’t like but I’m going to throw it out there anyway) could be that larger objects, like beds, are stored and moved in more than one crate. So if a full size bed takes up 6 squares it will be stored in 3 crates or something like that. Then all 3 has to be move to the bedroom before it turns into a bed.

Oh and being from Sweden I am obligated to suggest IKEA’s flat packaging in any discussion I can. Seriously. I could probably loose my citizenship if I don’t.

2 Likes

I like Jam. Strawberry is super tasty. We need boxes with those.

I think the crates are an excellent idea. As far as not knowing what’s in the crate, they could simply have a small mouse-over window open up that shows the full scale model. This would eliminate the need for doing any extra modelling, as well as modeling an icon on the crates. You could have a color or category of crates. Say one crate for all furniture, one for resources, one for weapons, etc. Smaller items should be able to stack in crates as well.

1 Like

Wow, I’m exhausted having carried all these heavy crates around!

If only there was somewhere to sit and rest… :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

haha… i was trying to reference the song… there is a song, with those rough lyrics, yes? “big ones, small ones, ones filled with jam!”…

my “like” button is officially worn out… way to go @Froggy

1 Like

lol froggy are are funny

1 Like

I think this idea is alright, love the actual model of the crate too, that’s spot on

1 Like

@Froggy I don’t wanna lock the thread as I like your boxes and I think there is a constructive discussion to be had surrounding the idea, plus I would like to keep up to date with any future iterations of these models.

If you wish for me to lock this thread and for you to create a new one then please let me know.

1 Like

Thank you @Geoffers747. I’m quite happy for this thread to remain open while the discussion remains constructive

Much love, Froggy.

1 Like

in the interest of keeping the peace, and calming frayed nerves, i present this adorable kitten…

bask in his cuteness… bask!

4 Likes