An Appeal to the Devs, can you let the community vote on prefered update content?

I will agree to that. At the same time, it’s not the level that they started with and supported at the beginning. That’s what I was wondering.

Don’t make promises that can’t be kept…

Not trying to be mean…but that sounded like the ultimate PR response.

1 Like

What? What does this mean? Explain. EXPLAIN.

Public relations…that I am simply stating this is my favorite because I “have to”.

So I can’t really respond to this point, as I have not been a part of the community since the beginning.

I said expected, didn’t I?

You are not being mean, but in the interest of 100% transparency: I do not work for TR, am not compensated by TR, nor do I have any vested interest (other than getting to enjoy this game) in what happens with them. To know what I am comparing this community to, I participated in the Prison Architect Early Access, am part of the Folk Tale Early Access, as well as Meridian: New World and a few more that are not coming to me right now. When posting in their communities, in none was a “welcomed in,” encouraged to participate, and in all honesty, I didn’t really gain a feeling that I wanted to be a part of the community. I (personally) got that feeling here. No PR intended :smile:.

3 Likes

[quote=“Zilla, post:22, topic:18052”]
What? What does this mean? Explain. EXPLAIN.
[/quote] public relations

I didn’t see any promise he is saying that A14 is expected to have combat related updates

Edit: @jomaxro.
you beat me to the punch lol

2 Likes

I was here in 2013, let me give you a summary: Map games. Map games everywhere. God save us all.
Then the moderators banned map games. Ushering in a new age.

5 Likes

I’m starting to get the impression that this is becoming a long, drawn out, unneeded “flame war”.

Reduce the quote fest and get more on topic or this topic will be locked.

Kanpai! :sake:
Avairian

4 Likes

Thank you for your message! We value interaction with our community very much. Be assured that I have immediately informed all involved team members about your input and will get back to you as soon as I have news._

Keep on with the awesomeness! It’s people like you that make this place as amazing as it is. :smile:

1 Like

OK.

So, let’s be absolutely clear on this: we value input from the community immensely. That’s how we’ve managed Stonehearth from the beginning… incorporating feedback as the game grows is perhaps our biggest development tenet.

That said, we do have a roadmap and plan that we want to follow… it’s not absolute, and we’ve shuffled priorities around more than once based on your feedback; in fact we learn a tremendous amount from you (both here and on the Steam forums) with each release. And that learning helps us adapt our roadmap as we go forward. It’s a never-ending process.

We have from time to time done voting or polls – but it’s difficult to conduct a vote or poll sufficiently comprehensive to capture the sentiment of a majority (or even a significant minority) of our players. Still, we want to know what you think, and make that part of our consideration for development. But it’s simply not practical to let a vote (or poll) by itself determine what we’ll work on next. (Maybe for smaller things – in-world items, naming, that sort of thing. But not for big features.)

We will be updating the Community Trello board shortly to reflect both where we are now and what we feel to be near-term priorities. We’ll post about it when that happens and hope you’ll weigh in with your thoughts.

It is interesting that there seems to be two competing (but not incompatible) streams of community preference around development priorities: one stream says, “more content! we want more to do and explore more!” And the other stream says, “make it more stable, make all the things work!” Those two streams are not mutually exclusive – in fact, often one supports the other. For example, the Rayya’s Children update, which on the face of it is content, actually has a number of “under the hood” improvements that will simplify and support development going forward. In making our choices for “what’s next” we usually opt for things that will have a significant impact on the game not only immediately but for the long term.

That’s also why we designed Stonehearth from its inception to be modding-friendly. We know we can’t do everything – there’s always going to be a hunger for more (especially content) that we can’t provide. That’s where mods come in – they allow you to take the game in directions that interest you. We have to focus on the things that affect pretty much everyone. This isn’t us just pushing things onto the community – it’s a recognition that our responsibility is to provide a game and a foundation for furthering that game that is stable and fun. Think of it like a LEGO set – sure, you can build the set that’s in the box, and that’s really enjoyable – but you can also take it apart, put it together with other sets, and create something that you can imagine (but the people at LEGO didn’t). LEGO focuses on providing a great initial play experience and a very high-quality platform for that experience. That’s what we’re trying to do.

13 Likes

Sigh…

I wanted to apologize Brad on behalf of where the thread itself went. I came to the forums after bouncing ideas on Steam and having minor Dev posts from time to time in hopes of getting a much louder response on the forums but instead drew in more hassle than I ever planned for.

Sorry for starting a ruckus and all.

5 Likes

@Ramsis, I do not believe you have anything to apologize for! You wished to start a discussion regarding more fan input in the game development direction. While the thread was mostly a discussion between 3 people, a lot of topics were hashed out, and we received a nice, clear response from the developers. You have no control over where a thread goes after you start it, and I do hope that this thread will not scare you away from participating further on the Discourse. Everyone has strong opinions on certain topics, and some of those were very visible here.

8 Likes

And… the Community Trello board has been updated with some new items.
Check it out and vote for your favorites!

10 Likes