[A16/A17] The buildings my hearthlings will not build (round 2!)

I apologize if I use the topic too often, but I just know how to break the game =)

Now the crown of my creations - not just break the template itself on installation (wall disappear), but also i lost the ability to edit ALL structures in game. And autosave have no sreenshot in menu =/

windmill.zip (16.9 KB)

2 Likes

Hey everyone, we have a new building-focused release for you, up on Steam Unstable. Please give it a go and let us know if your buildings are building yet. :wink: This one is for all of you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In regard of this posting.

With the new update (steam latest) the hearthlings finally start building. Of course, I have to check if they will finish the building, but now there’s progress. Thank you very much for your effort, devs.

2 Likes

http://discourse.stonehearth.net/t/a16-a17-the-buildings-my-hearthlings-will-not-build-round-2/22200/57?u=genboom

It does build now! :grinning: however…

I think this build is a good example of what the AI is still doing wrong. One (make that two) of my builders still got stuck on the stair rails during building. The hearthlings do not prioritize building the floor and stairs first - making the second story take much much longer than it should. This building alone took me about a week to complete and this has only the basic furniture and decorations to get started in the game. This is not something you could build at the start of the game even though you need 10 rooms fairly quickly. The build speed of something like this still needs to be doubled at the very least to be even considered worth the time invested when I could dedicate my hearthlings to improve my wealth or craft things much easier and faster. So so so much time is wasted on scaffolding its frustrating to watch.

Scaffolding should not be built on both sides of walls, ever - interior walls are terrible. Anything you have overhanging is also really really bad because they won’t build the floor and walk on it, they will build a ladder that goes into space first and use it instead. Thats another thing, ladders are being over-placed I don’t need 20 ladders to reach the second floor of the building if they just built the stupid floor in the first place. Gahhh :tired_face:

1 Like

Paging @not_owen_wilson who has thought 100x more about dependencies than I have. :wink:

Still, I’m glad it builds now! Let’s go after one epic problem at a time, shall well? :wink:

5 Likes

silly 4 story design.zip (13.6 KB)
0000000000000.zip (5.2 MB)

I would like you guys to try to tackle something like this, where I dig out the foundation for a building that I want to have a basement. The one on the right (based on the ground) will build. but the one dug into the ground on the left does not. Also two hearthlings get trapped within the empty stairs and will starve to death because I have no way of getting them out.

Currently the only fix for this build is to dig out the hole in the ground 2 more on each side and put a ladder down the hole for your hearthlings to access it. It would also probably be easier to not include the stairs as part of the basement and just leave them as dirt blocks. Still I think something like this should be possible without having to dig around your building for ladder access.

1 Like

I posted this in the newest unstable thread but it belongs here:
empty_bulwark.zip (27.9 KB)

It has a -2 height crenellation on top that won’t build, but -1 height does.

so started a new game on release 572 and after a long time of designing I got the following
release-572 (x64)[M]…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:204: attempt to index local ‘entry’ (a nil value)stack traceback:
radiant/modules/common.lua:237: in function ‘report_traceback’
radiant/modules/common.lua:248: in function <radiant/modules/common.lua:242>
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:204: in function ‘get_dependencies’
…/fixture_fabricator/fixture_fabricator_component.lua:179: in function ‘_are_dependencies_satisfied’
…/fixture_fabricator/fixture_fabricator_component.lua:218: in function ‘_start_project’
…/fixture_fabricator/fixture_fabricator_component.lua:84: in function ‘set_active’
…ruction_progress/construction_progress_component.lua:81: in function ‘set_active’
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:406: in function ‘cb’
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:400: in function ‘_call_all_children’
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:396: in function ‘_call_all_children’
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:396: in function ‘_call_all_children’

radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.lua:82: in function ‘set_now’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.lua:103: in function ‘increment_now’
radiant/modules/timer.lua:13: in function ‘instance’
radiant/modules/events.lua:227: in function <radiant/modules/events.lua:221>
[C]: in function ‘xpcall’
radiant/modules/common.lua:257: in function ‘xpcall’
radiant/modules/events.lua:221: in function ‘trigger’
radiant/modules/events.lua:290: in function ‘_trigger_gameloop’
radiant/modules/events.lua:338: in function ‘_update’
radiant/server.lua:62: in function <radiant/server.lua:58>

japanese castle.zip (42.8 KB)

For some reason after the error all my roads in this build are gone :frowning: After saving and reloading i get extra errors.
release-572 (x64)[M]…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:204: attempt to index local ‘entry’ (a nil value)stack traceback:
[C]: ?
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:204: in function ‘get_dependencies’
…/fixture_fabricator/fixture_fabricator_component.lua:179: in function ‘_are_dependencies_satisfied’
…/fixture_fabricator/fixture_fabricator_component.lua:218: in function ‘_start_project’
…/fixture_fabricator/fixture_fabricator_component.lua:42: in function <…/fixture_fabricator/fixture_fabricator_component.lua:40>
release-572 (x64)[M]c++ exception: lua runtime errorstack traceback:

2 Likes

some added info, placed it again in a new map, placed an extra layer of slabs below the road blocks and that seems to stop the error. Still he is having issues with this build. Also had a villager die because of scaffolting removal :slight_smile:

new save of the same template
japanese castle2.zip (38.0 KB)

After save attempt it crashed :frowning:
crash.dmp (174.2 KB)
stonehearth.log (4.5 MB)

2 Likes

craft stall and display 2.zip (4.4 KB)

Everything goes fine until the scaffolding removal process.

Steam Latest build:572
No crash.
Hearthling respond fine after and continue normal jobs.

Update: Can be taken off the list as of Build 582. The job get’s completed.

1 Like

I don’t have a picture of where they stopped unfortunately, because AVG decided it was a good time to take my process away from me resulting in a crash. In other words indirect crash due to Disk use. Don’t think it is stonehearth that caused that, after all my computer is on the lower end of specs.

Heres what it is suppose to look like:

See the awning in front? That is where they decided it was a good idea to not finish the back part of it near the wall and put scaffolding to complete roof. In other words the scaffolding stretched from porch to roof through a hole in the upper most of that awning. I would have though they would bring down the scaffolding like they did with the rest of the parts of the build, but they said no, and left it to do something else. Waited at least a couple of in-game days for them to continue, but they did not… sometime after that is when I started having my computer problems and crash.

stonehearth.log (4.4 MB)
Providing a log if it will help determine what went wrong in build… The crash I still think it was interference from another program… (Which I will just have to figure out later.)

wooden clinic healer house f.zip (36.8 KB)

A17 572

Note: At least my first building built, this being the second one that was a bit more ambitious than the last, or well more complex; about the same complexity as the smith I had sent before that straddled a cliff. Also there was quite a bit of scaffolding, some not really needed; but made sense in the very least where they placed them. Just don’t know why they stopped when all they had to do was take a couple down to finish the awning.

The crash happened roughly when I was placing objects in one of my other buildings and switched view mode. A right click to rotate is when it had enough; despite my deductions of what might have happened. So it was a forced windows close, as there was nothing else I could do; and I didn’t want to wait a couple hours for disk use to go down.

Anyway it is just an odd build order mainly. :slight_smile: (but at least looked like it made sense.)

1 Like

Well with the A17 582

Still will not finish. Same exact area as described above. I guess them adding the windows and doors during the build is new; not seen them do that before. Beyond that new bit, one of the railings on the porch didn’t get finished as well. Also a small 4 blocks in the back corner that you see at the base, like supports didn’t either. I will see if I can get a pic tomorrow as it is late, but just wanted to say that one still didn’t finish, and stopped at the same point in the awning at the front of the house.

EDIT: Just adding the pic of where my building stopped so at least there is a visual of what I mean. I was wrong about the backside, as they did complete it; don’t know when, but it is most certainly the front side they stopped at.

Hard to see the missing railing but if you compare to the right side you will see a bit of red where railing of porch is finished and on left it has not been placed. The rest is obvious, and like I described above about the awning.

1 Like

Hello, again.

I found a funny problem. If the anchor touches the ground, pressing the “build” button freeze the game, then my computer itself begins to slow down, but it’s alright if the anchor hanging in the air.

not work at all
engineer’s house.zip (13.4 KB)
Start building, but can’t finish it
steampunk ship.zip (28.4 KB)
I know I’m asking a lot, so if this project is too ambitious, I just build it piece by piece, if it really possible… =D

3 Likes

blacksmith house .zip
tavern 2.0 with balcony.zip (13.4 KB)
tavern 2.0 without balcony.zip (12.9 KB)
town center.zip (4.8 KB)

I am having issues with these templates in Alpha 17 build 684. When I place the templates and build it, the hearthlings just won’t build them or they won’t take down the scaffolding. With the blacksmith house the game freezes and either crashes or unfreezes. If it unfreezes, then the hearthlings won’t build it. For the rest except town hall, the templates aren’t place-able. For town center, it might be the fact that it’s made out of roads.

Edit: This an error I get when I start up the game. I’ve been getting since I started playing the unstable alpha 17 build and still have it now while alpha 17 is fully released. I don’t know if it matters if I’m running x32 or x64 bit as I run x32 bit but have a x64 bit computer:
release-584 (x32)
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:483: attempt to index local ‘entity’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/common.lua:237: in function ‘report_traceback’
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:483: in function ‘_trace_entity’
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:174: in function ‘_restore_structure_traces’
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:114: in function ‘obj’
radiant/modules/events.lua:75: in function ‘instance’
[C]: in function ‘xpcall’
radiant/modules/common.lua:257: in function ‘xpcall’
radiant/modules/events.lua:221: in function <radiant/modules/events.lua:187>

Note: Replied because original reply was getting long.

I get this error when the game unfreezes while trying to build the blasksmith house:
release-584 (x32)
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:483: attempt to index local ‘entity’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/common.lua:237: in function 'report_traceback’
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:483: in function ‘_trace_entity’
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:174: in function ‘_restore_structure_traces’
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:114: in function 'obj’
radiant/modules/events.lua:75: in function 'instance’
[C]: in function 'xpcall’
radiant/modules/common.lua:257: in function 'xpcall’
radiant/modules/events.lua:221: in function <radiant/modules/events.lua:187>

Summary: A building using crenellation as balcony can’t be fully built

Steps to reproduce:

1. place the template(uploaded in the attachment)
  2. wait for building
    3)…

Expected Results: Fully built

Actual Results: Selectively abandoned

Notes:
I firstly made the template in the hard mode and chose a river side to build it.
When the worker was idle, the building was:

As you can see, it’s incomplete

The single chosen stone block is not built, then I think whether or not it is because the building’s being adjacent to the water, so I put it in a peaceful mode on a totally flat area, and it turns out to be:

still the crenellation block is missing and the project cannot proceed, so here’s where the bug (Path-finding bug or something else?) lies.

Besides, there are some other sort of things, firstly, crenellation generation in the corner is not… perfect sometimes

Secondly, crenellation generation in the place where a door is placed (or maybe wherever there is a hole existing), It’s fine when we first generate the crenellation roof then put a door on the wall

But when the whole building is saved as a template and replaced:

the crenellation generates in the hole for doors

Attachments: template.zip (25.6 KB)

Version Number and Mods in use: a17r584

System Information: No engine errors appeared

I already reported this blueprint before, and today I found same one making another trouble at newly updated r584.

My decoy monument statue is stopped again! Complete one is filled structure, but a 1 tile thick notch valley was created while building. I think this is main reason why building is stopped.
At r584, hearthlings started to build this structure from outer wall to thick core column. At old version, I remember they build from bottom layer and layer by layer. That was a difference I noticed. And due to this change, I think, sometimes some hearthlings are trapped at top of wall or column being built. This phenomenon made building speed difference between walls, and I think, due to cumulativeness of them, that notch was finally created.

edit: While building,there were lack of stone and wood. Lack of wood keep disturbed continueous building of scaffolding and ladder. Due to this, hearthlings were frequently trapped at top.

Summary:
Error to begin a new estructure house cusmon, the villagers not build,

Version Number and Mods in use:
alpha 17

Not mods in use

System Information:

release-584 (x64)
…omponents/fabricator/fabricator_client_component.lua:62: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
[C]: ?
…omponents/fabricator/fabricator_client_component.lua:62: in function <…omponents/fabricator/fabricator_client_component.lua:60>

Thanks

1 Like

pretty much same for me but its something to do with scaffolding. now i can’t remove floating blocks lol

I always set up my houses 5 spaces apart. I’ve never had them stop working on houses because of this, but even with multiple ladders and ways to get the house done they refuse to touch them.

I also have a red exclamation mark over a finished custom building.