[A14/A15] The buildings my hearthling will not build Thread

@konhacas, the most recent release, release-523 did not have any building related fixes in it, as such, I would expect these problems to still exist.

1 Like

But it is one of the most requested bug fixes since the expanded building system was implemented. keep needing to restart a world cause a building just stays in ruin everytime i try to build.

1 Like

That may be true, and I can assure you the devs are working on it. The issue is that the fix isn’t quick. A couple of lines of code isn’t going to make the AI understand how to build everything we can imagine. @not_owen_wilson has been doing a lot of work on the building code, and I believe that a number of fixes are planned for A15 (no promises though).

5 Likes

I get it… But it’s hard for me, cause this game has become one of my favorites games to play.

1 Like

One of the things I’ve commonly seen cause unbuildable buildings is the limited ladder placement logic in use today. I’ve found that, when the ladder logic doesn’t fully consider all of the viable options, I can usually manually build ladders that will ‘magically’ unblock hearthlings’ ability to build.

After the build is done, I have to manually tear down those ladders, but at least I can make it work until TR finishes their next set of building improvements.

A simple example: This morning, I wanted to relocate some wall-mounted lamps that I’d placed on the wall. After I’d placed the lamps, I later placed a two-high row of storage crates one block away from the wall. Hearthlings could walk down the 1-block space between the crates and the wall, under the lamps fine. But, the logic only considers the space in FRONT on the lamp to be a valid location to place a ladder in order to reach the lamps. And so my move command stalled until I added an adequately high ladder in one of the yellow blocks below:

To carry this over to custom buildings, in a similar configuration, I also tried to build a ledge above a row of two-high stacked crates which were up against a cliff face. The build stalled until I added my own ladders:

3 Likes

Here simple sample 1.json (1.zip (3.4 KB))
–> Cound not finish the Rdc before create the 1° floor --> Rdc not finished…

And another bug ?
1:

I want to create my house on 1-2 block from the ground so. i create 1-2 lvl on stab , create a fondation.
–> i cant place a fourniture !!!

2:

–> same error from 1 --> could not place a item on floor. I tried to do with a floor set from a fondation not up from 1 block. --> same error…

3:

Why i can see all item in my inventory ? I use after finished the item fence to create a barrier . (stair, etc…)
How i can modifie the existing json todo that ?

2 Likes

Well, the building editor only shows items in certain categories (like furniture and decorations), that it would expect to be part of building. You can place fences at any time using the place item tool (hotkey p). If you really want to get fences to appear in the building editor, you would have to modify their json file category to furniture. Not sure what else this would affect though…likely changes how it is stored too.

1 Like

long plain house.zip (5.1 KB)

This building built just fine before alpha 14, afterwards they would always stop at the roof and would not tear the building down either.

slightly realted question. can I drop my mod download into the “mods” folder in this path. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth\mods

2 Likes

Yep, that is where mods are supposed to go.

1 Like

I don’t have a pic for this one unfortunately, as I didn’t want to ib it in. Figured out what I did wrong with the second floor. Split level. As in I made the entire second floor from the second floor tool with a slab railing for the balcony. It is the hole in the balcony that probably stopped them from building.

Note: I did make another building similar, but the balcony part was made of slabs entirely, while the actual second story room/house part had 2nd floor tool under it. Still think it is the hole that is causing it though. Wanted to put a ladder down a 2x2 hole. That is big enough for a hearthling, no?

clay sunhouse st-f balcony.zip (5.8 KB)

Basically they started, and finished the base of the building, and didn’t continue. So it just looked like foundation.

Also noticed that you can not place walls on a 1 high foundation. It just will not let me. It had to be at least 2 high like in the template above. So it is like the foundation/1st floor tool had to be on a layer of slabs in order to have wall placeable on it.

I know yall made some progress for the next one, and hopefully this one is buildable then. But in A14 it is not beyond the foundation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am playing on 0.14.0 (Release 524) x64 build.
I thought I would make a nice little simple overhang house, nothing special, I didn’t expect that to not work.
Here is the house (in the two different view modes):

Here is what it should look like when it’s finished side/back (yes, two columns are discolored, it bugs me, will we ever be able to replace walls/columns in a finished building?):

No furniture inside, but a staircase made of slabs.

overhang house.zip (4.8 KB)

Before I continue working on my town, I first build the town hall. If that works, then I continue. This time I can’t even complete it using the Console IB command.

Save game:
Hedgewill.zip (4.7 MB)

Town Hall v1.3 included in zip file above.

Dev, or any other tester let me know in this thread or in the thread Village of Pinewood if you would like a more basic version of this building without the slab and foundation work.

5 Likes

Wow nice Townhall, what is your problem with ib?
Since you have it as template, try to destroy(console) the building and then build it completly new with ib.

I have a save just before construction, so that’s not a problem.

Unfortunately it constructs but still spits out occasional errors and stays unfinished. It never completes, even though the console says it completed. When you click on it in the house construction menu it still shows as if it’s under construction.

Even in the screenshots above, if I select the “Build new custom building” tab, the Town Hall will highlight as if it’s still under construction.

It used to be the console command IB would fully finish a building.

Feel free to experiment with it though.

1 Like

I could build it with ib without any problem :slightly_smiling:
Maybe there are other problems in your current game.

You should watch the stream where the problem shows up again, even on a freshly built house and game.

The stream also shows a much simpler house never really finishing.

1 Like

I know you guys were interested in unbuildable buildings, well I made one. At first seemed to be going well then suddenly construction stopped. When I told them to tear it down, they took down parts of the building and then wouldn’t finish deconstruction.
Building design was base 13x13 corner 1 block removed, two free standing wall sections on each side, 1 slab pillar on the inside corner to connect walls. Slab as roof with 3x3 hole in middle, wall sections around hole, and slab edging on top of wall sections.

stonehearth.doc (771 KB)

1 Like

had a similar issue. They got stuck on the amount of scafolting they were placing. When i told them to tear it down they only did the second layer, seeing that the first layer was already completed. Maby that is the issue when building. When a layer is complete the can’t tear it down? Have not tryed it with one of the standard available build, to tear it down on completion

1 Like

Maybe people have already posted this, but interior walls work BADLY in alpha 14.

First the editor has trouble designing them, only the tool seems to be standalone walls, which adds additional pillars that looks odd (template 1). Secondly the roof tool breaks badly (template 2) and with the broken roofs, castle roofs causes everyone to get stuck on top of the buildings (template 3). I guess slabs work, but that’s non-obvious.

building_templates.zip (7.4 KB)

1 Like

Ran into some issues with building in Alpha 15 Pre.
This party of the city wall won’t get built. The reason seems to be the overhanging parts of the house with a yellow roof. The part of the wall right behind the houses was completed without problems. Haven’t got a template due to mutliple buildings being involved. I know where to build ladders to fi it, but it would require building several ladders - for each additional layer.
Here’s the savegame.

Then there’s another building that stays unfinished. Don’t know why, really. They just don’t raise some of the ground walls. Possibly something with that stairs leading upwards, but they’re not blocking anything.

Template:
house not being built.zip (140.0 KB)

Edit: Strange. If I use the template and edit the stairs away, only the floor is being built, nothing else.

3 Likes