Writer’s Workshop Submissions. Cycle 4, Week 3

Welcome to Cycle 4, Week 3 of the Writer’s Workshop!

Submission rules (note: these will differ slightly from week to week)

• You can only submit one story per week.

• [color=blue]The theme for this week is “Tales of a lost god”.[/color] (thanks @naturalnuke)

• [color=blue]The story must also tie in with this cycle’s theme “My Little Steampunk adventures”.[/color]

• [color=blue]You must incorporate the words “superfluous” and “audacity” into the dialogue.[/color]

• We’re asking for submissions to be no more than 400 words.

• Vote for as many stories as you want - simply ‘like’ the associated post by clicking the heart at the bottom of the submission.

• If you submit a story continuation from a previous week, there will be a varying number of automatic “likes” associated with the submission.

• Keep all discussion of this week over here, as anything in this thread that isn’t a story will be moved or deleted.

Story submissions will close on Wednesday October 23rd.

If there are any questions, feel free to pop over to the discussion thread and ask away. Click here to view the upcoming theme schedule.

Good luck writers! :smiley:

Tales of a Lost God
From the
Chronicles of the Uhra, Part 3

“I can’t believe it…” Harv stammered. He dropped to the cobbled road, bracing his injured leg.

The Uhra was horribly damaged. The floating globe that lifted the craft had been torn and scorched in dozens of places, making any sort of attempt at flight in the foreseeable future clearly impossible.

“The audacity of this Titan…it attacks relentlessly, without concern for itself. Look at the wounds it’s received already.” Arthur pointed up past the row of rooftops behind them.

Following the fiery downing of the Uhra, the monstrous bird of prey had gone into a crazed frenzy, spewing fire across the residential districts of Carbas. It had lost track of the aerial rival that had been just shooting at it.

Now it was simply attacking everything.

Arthur hopped down from the twisted basket to Harv. “Let me look at your leg.”

The ex-artillery commander shuddered at the touch. “Is it sprained? How bad is it?”

“…It looks like you’ve gotten quite lucky. I would assume the injury is mild. We shouldn’t need to take superfluous caution, but I can at least help you walk about,” he decided as the two rose up together. “The real question is, what do we do now? We can’t approach the Titan in this state, much less fight it.”

Harv thought. “Let’s go to the military district. Maybe they’ll have an idea, or least know if the civilians are evacuating safely.”

The sounds of combat littered the air as the two made their way to the barracks. Noticing Harv Kesser, the surprised guards let them enter.

The news wasn’t good. The people were trapped in the stone emergency bunkers around town, and the troops had no effect.

“Do you at least know what it IS?” Harv demanded.

A shorter, balding man spoke up. “Well, it bears a striking resemblance to something we noticed in Liylian folklore. An elemental deity.” He paused, as if waiting to see their reaction.

There weren’t any denunciating outbursts, so he nervously continued. “W-well…what it looks like is Pyrakestrel.”

Arthur now spoke up. “Not to be rude, but I’m afraid I’m not well-versed in the ancient myths and legends of Liyl. What is this Pyrakestrel?”

“A massive bird of fiery origins, said to have been the breath of warmth during the birth of the world. Many thought it to be a reference to a phoenix of sorts, but on an ethereal level.”

“Well, that would prove hard to fight,” Harv noted sarcastically.

“On the contrary,” Arthur said. “I believe I know what to fight the fire with.”

1 Like

slooooooow week for the writer’s workshop… submissions will close in about 24 hours, with voting to continue through thursday…

The Cave God

Their lantern was covering the mine in light, reflecting on the water drops on the wall, creating a breathtaking sight to behold. Suddenly it started again, seemingly out of nowhere: a low humming, so loud that it shook the foundations of the tunnel. The pipes on the ceiling were vibrating so extremely, it seemed like they could crash down at any second.

It took a lot of audacity for the rescue group to continue, and as the humming lowered in volume, you could almost hear the silence among them, only disrupted by their own footsteps. They could turn back, and say the lost villager weren’t there… but curiosity got the better of them.

And again, the low humming began, shaking all of them to their bones. The lantern was dropped and shattered, covering all in darkness, except for a small light far away. Could the answer be hidden there? The group increased their pace, started running, and as they reached the end of the tunnel, they were blinded by the bright light inside.
A new outburst of humming was so loud, it shook the whole mountain up and down. Most of the explorers were thrown on the ground, where they waited for it to end. As their eyes to adjusted to the light, they couldn’t believe their eyes: the chamber they had found was a gigantic temple, covered with a network of pipes that ended at a small altar in the center of the temple. This altar was surrounded by hundreds of men, all humming at this incredible volume, praying to a God superfluous nowadays.

The explorers were awed, as they saw one of the men climb the altar with his arms spread. A new wave of humming welled up, and all men kneeled down to the man on the altar. Large amounts of fire poured out of the pipes and upon the man, turning him into a black statue of burnt flesh and bones. He stood there, silent still, like he was nailed to the altar.
Then, the burnt body turned around, and looked them in the eyes…

1 Like

ok folks, sorry for the late closure… week 3 is wrapped up, and i’ll launch week 4 (the finals!) tomorrow

our finalists are @Atralane, @PDanford, @naturalnuke and @Ellogeyen… congratulations! :smiley:

see you in the morning gang… :zzz: