Will there be AI Tribes/Factions that build small/epic settlements, explore, conquer, trade etc in Coop-Multiplayer?

I saw that one of the stretch goals is coop-multiplayer (which I agree like most others, that it should be prioritized as a $300,000 stretch-goal over PvP, of course more development would be required for this versus PvP).

Me and my friends really enjoy playing against AI factions as its a bit more relaxing and a more friendly environment (also if you take out a buddy in PvP, he can no longer play your game, where as vs AI, you can house your friend and help him rebuild until your taken out next!). Of course the AI has to be somewhat intelligent and we usually dont mind if they cheat a bit to get the edge.

I see that Stonehearth will have alot of AI automation for gathering, farming, building for the player so they don’t have to micromanage as much. So I was thinking that the AI can use many of these automated mechanics and have more behavior types like, exploration, trade, rare item/resource gathering, reacting to player behaviors, basically a mirror image of common player behavior types in these styles of games.

Some quick examples of AI behavior types:

1.) Conquerer behavior:

-AI will attempt to conquer the entire world and all valuable territories (this will take time, good economic management, and obedience/approval of the populace. Maybe some backstabbing of allies eventually).

-Mechanics that create dictatorships, democracies, political strategy/deception etc.

2.) Explorer/Trader behavior:

-Will attempt to expand into environments that yield valuable resource and economic gains.

-Mechanics for diplomacy and trade, expand, build up military but for purposes of securing the settlement(s) from bandits/barbarian type factions, assist allies etc.

3.) Tribal, Smaller Colonies, Barbarian behavior:

-A more primitive but free type of faction growth. These type of behaviors can be rebel forces from evil dictatorships, rebellions, natives of the lands they were born into etc.

-Primitive but special ways to harvest certain resources that they know of (think pilgrims and indians).

-Barbaric armies that roam the lands, pillaging and moving from settlement to settlement like the Mongols in force.

A combination or system that can make the above behaviors more dynamic and complex so each new world of AI feel completely unique.

Few games that have this type of coop-gameplay:

Total War series, more specifically Shogun 2’s Campaign multiplayer

The Guild 2 (very ambitious for its time and worth a buy if you’ve never tried)

Anno series but specifically Anno 1404 Venice

So far I love what the devs are doing here. I will be backing regardless but would very much like to see these mechanics in early so the modding community can expand on it.

What do you guys think?

4 Likes

This is something that’d be great to be able to script into a mod - roaming factions that are able to modify the landscape around them to build or even tunnel. Or just set up camp outside your town and harass merchants :slight_smile:

Edit: now I want to code a minotaur that builds its own labyrinth :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yea, giants that have intelligence and their own needs/means of survival too. Im thinking lord of the rings tree giants now taking out Isenguard. The possibilities!

This is a fantastic idea!

It would be interesting to be playing and suddenly find yourself confronted by the army of a greedy empire. And this whole time they were just over the hill!

First of all @Daimyo, those are some great ideas, sort of pulling the best from a variety a games that would give the game an amazing feel but I think the better questions here is does anyone know if Devs are taking suggestions in terms of the kickstarter goals? You talked about the fact that they are planning to release co-op, or work on it’s integration once they hit 400,000$ while PvP is 300,000$. Has the idea of inversing those two been presented to the Devs apart from this thread? I think the community is more interested in obtaining the co-op over the PvP for reasons you previously stated, so with that I think we should do all in our power as a community to get the idea out to the Devs.

Pretty sure they are aware. The PVP raids are going to be a part of the single player experience still, but with the co-op they would have to build more of the game engine to allow for it.

Then am I not understanding the PvP part correctly? To me, if they decide to incorporate PvP, it’s based off a multiplayer platform in order for you, as a PLAYER, to play against another PLAYER. If they incorporate it in the single player experience, then that means it’s the expected PvE aspect of the game that has been presented to us in multiple videos as the basis for the entire game.

Player vs. Player City Raids - 300k: Select a party of adventurers to storm a copy of another player’s city and bring home their treasures. Leaderboards will rank and track the deadliest fighters and most impenetrable fortresses.
“Stormloft47 has demolished 208 raiding parties.”

I believe, and I may be wrong, but what they meant is that a copy of the other players city will be made, which you can then attack using your forces. You do not play directly against the player and their defense would be automated. The idea, I think, is to build the best possible defenses. So the leader board would show off players who have conquered, and those who could not be conquered.

So,

Select a party of adventurers to storm a copy of another player’s city and bring home their treasures

would support my theory. “Copy of another players city”

and

“Stormloft47 has demolished 208 raiding parties.”

Meaning that the city Stormloft47 has succesfully stopped 208 people from raiding their copy.

1 Like

From Kickstarter Player vs. Player City Raids: Select a party of adventurers to storm a copy of another player’s city and bring home their treasures. Leaderboards will rank and track the deadliest fighters and most impenetrable fortresses.

To me, that makes it sound like you will be able to download copies of other player’s cities (or have access through an in-game menu option) and then you’re little dudes will be able to take down their little dudes. Instead of, we’re all on a big server playing together, but we didn’t give you the option to become friends with others.

I’m guessing it’s still a PvE experience, but you can fight what other players have built.

1 Like

@Cronus @Galphan That was my mistake. I understood that it would be truely PvP, where the RTS could really kick in but reading it over again I see and understand the concept. Makes a lot more sene :wink:

1 Like

I really want to see this now.

1 Like

And I want to create a hero to fight your Minotaur after hours of exploring his labyrinth! :smiley:

1 Like

Not to get off topic too much but as I was browsing the comments in the kickstarter post, I noticed many posting about this before I backed it. Looking how things are going now, I have no doubt that they will meet the $400,000+ mark. With that said I think they should (and probably will in the near future) go in more depth when talking about co-op and factions etc.

During his live-stream going on now, I asked one of them about coop-multiplayer and faction and he only commented on the idea that singleplayer is going to be like multiplayer like minecraft. So if its in SP, itll be in MP.

I believe, and I may be wrong, but what they meant is that a copy of
the other players city will be made, which you can then attack using
your forces. You do not play directly against the player and their
defense would be automated. The idea, I think, is to build the best
possible defenses. So the leader board would show off players who have
conquered, and those who could not be conquered.

They mentioned that as a possibility in the stream. I believe they also mentioned a hardcore mode where players could be essentially taken over permanently if they lost all their settlers. Its too early to to say as these are just ideas.

The way he talked about it in the stream he made it seem like they’ll make it flexible for all player types, meaning these will just be pre-launch parameter settings. I personally just want a coop-style game vs AI factions and dynamic mobs/bosses (i dont mind week/month long games, as long as its fun and with frequent autosaves).

1 Like

You should be able to trade with randomly spawning villages/castles for resources that you really want.

welcome aboard @Eman999! :smile:

i took the liberty of merging your suggestion with this existing topic, as it is being discussed as part of the larger thread…