Welcome to the Bitcave! Nerdiness, Jokes, Mods, Ideas, and coding!

Hey, you can’t spell Stonehearth without “stone heart”.

1 Like

True that, I’ll get working. :cat:

@Smokestacks,

Roulette is possible, but yeah, the numbers will look janky (if you think about it, most numbers look janky when rotated. I would recommend using something representative of numbers that is not actually numbers, limiting your key frames, and letting the mind create false memories of the intermediate frames. I would look up how to make realistic circles in that other voxel game for reference.

English (Technically):
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

Japanese:
一 二 三 四 五 六 七 八 九 十 〇

For Funsies: Babylonian

And my personal favorite: Kharosthi

Good luck, and may I recommend Craps? xD

Regards,
Bits

Roulette has taken a back seat however thank you for the link, I will be using it when I can bring myself to get working on it again :stuck_out_tongue: and I will see what I can do about other sets of numerals :smile:

And as for Craps: Yes. Simply yes. :no_pedestrians:

I have a new challenge! Try to make a set of 12 crafting recipes in the most compact form possible, using at least three ingredients. The ingredients must be combined with 4 others to make the recipes. What this means is that there is one tier of ingredients, tier A, which has three: A, B, and C. Another tier, tier B, has four: W, X, Y, and Z. Each recipe must be made of at least one A ingredient and one B ingredient.

AW,AX,AY,AZ,BW,BX,BY,BZ,CW,CX,CY,CZ

I’m confused? Was that really all we’re meant to do?
EDIT:

without order mattering there is 105 potential recipes
with it mattering there is 13620 potential recipes
if repeats are allowed then there is infinite potential recipes

1 Like

Jumping WAY back in this thread, I really hated the alternative to a for-loop being a while-loop which is, really, the same exact process. So, here’s an alternative that doesn’t use direct iteration at all, and is my preferred way of doing things :wink:

function repeat(f, i)
    if i != 0
        f()
        repeat(f, i-1)
    end
end

That’s an inefficient, highly malformed, underpowered for loop. It loops x times with variable i only it does it with recursion which would likely add horrible overhead, there’s a time and a place for recursion but that’s not it.

I’m certainly not disagreeing that this version is underpowered, but he didn’t ask for robust alternatives, only alternatives. I think it’s important to show different paradigms of doing the same thing, and wanted to show the simplest, most straightforward alternative.

Also, Lua does tail calls, so this actually doesn’t add anymore overhead than the loop versions and ends up being equally efficient.

Anyway, [quote=“Xavion, post:129, topic:1622”]
AW,AX,AY,AZ,BW,BX,BY,BZ,CW,CX,CY,CZ
[/quote]
you did it correctly. I just meant, if you want to add more recipes, feel free, but add at least those 12. For example, jumping back to the weaver livestream, imagine A, B, and C being types of “thread”, like wool, cotton, and silk, and the WXYZ being different dyes. That’s essentially what I’m looking for; a simple crafting mock-up type of thing, but one that isn’t necessarily relevant to crafting. Anyway, yes, I would like to see some codes where you can input either a type of thread, then a type of dye, and get the result, or input the resultant product and get the ingredients necessary.

I don’t mean to be nit picky…but he shows an example of a giraffe;s neck evolving to be longer to better reach the “victory conditions”, but I’ve always been told that giraffes long necks are due to natural selection weeding out those with shorter necks…

That Procedural Generation (@Ondaderthad) is a GODSEND!! I mean…I seriously can’t thank you enough.

@bitassassin Just wondering…will you post a link to Albert’s Terrain Generation blog/update? I think it could be REALLY informative, especially to the modding community, knowing HOW he’s going to go about doing the world generation.

The reason natural selection caused that was because they could reach more food, the “victory condition” as it’s referred to. It’s correct that way and just a different way of wording it to put it in a different context.

If you are looking for a basic introduction into coding and Computer Science in general, EdX is hosting a Harvard Computer Science MOOC (Massively Open Online Class) for all to attend. Its free, although it will likely take a lot of your time if you do commit. There is also one for MIT and a few other Universities as well. Just thought I’d share.

2 Likes

Just came across an interesting game (CodeCombat) which offers the player to learn coding JavaScript while you play.

From the “About”-page:

Need to learn to code? You don’t need lessons. You need to write a lot of code and have a great time doing it.

3 Likes

Ahh, my old stomping ground… Thanks for the link @voxel_pirate, always clever to incorporate training with entertainment… :+1:

This looks cool… seems like a good way to learn while having fun :slight_smile:

If you guys are interested in a very modder supported, nicely coded game that supports Lua - Don’t Starve is good. I been playing around with it here and there to learn the syntax for when Stonehearth pops out. Easy way to see how code works, limited amount of docs on it, and people often use ‘work arounds’ but it will get you comfortable if you’ve coded a bit and want to step into Lua. Not really suggesting it to someone learning how to code.

awesome… I read about that elsewhere (was it here?)… do they have an existing modding API, or have the fans simply hacked their way in?

*their… :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry, force of habit.

Anywho, I heard that it didn’t have mod support, what’s the big deal? BUT, if it’s not too difficult to get into, I’d certainly like to give it a try.

1 Like

The 3 mentioned in the first post are Civ 5, Garrys Mod and ComputerCraft, I’ve also mentioned ToME but I didn’t see that on the list, there’s a few things out there.

Good news everyone!

FIRST REMEMBER: The graphics demo could have significant changes to the actual release, there might even still be major changes to the modding api.

Now though that we have a kind of crippled demo of the Stonehearth engine, this demo contains two ‘smod’ files in the mods folder that likely contain all the lua. My initial instincts were correct on them and they’re actually just renamed zip files. After quickly extracting them it revealed they had a whole load of luac files there seems to be a whole bunch of lua decompilers across the web however I couldn’t get one working. I have confirmed though that modifying the json works fine based off my teleporting bunnies.

Just throwing that out there.

5 Likes