[Tutorial] How to add a custom, craftable item

Maybe a ‘icon making’ tutorial would be needed… :wink:

Haha yeah. I just spent 4 hours trying to make an icon and its not going well at all. :frowning:

2 Likes

That is the story of my life.

4 Likes

Hahaha The fact that I don’t know much about perspective probably is my main issue. :laughing:

icons are easy arnt they?

@moondrixx_01 Depends on how good you are as an artist and how well you can use the right tools :wink:. My first version took like 2 hours, but I needed to get familiar with the tool, too.

2 Likes

ok well if any one wants im normaly free to help, and if u cant get me here u can find me on the FTB wiki and FTB teamspeak. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I spent 5 hours yesterday trying to figure out inkscape and another 4 hours trying to figure out gimp. It’s extremely complicated, made a little progress though. Didn’t create anything usable though. So your exactly right.[quote=“moondrixx_01, post:47, topic:4782”]
ok well if any one wants im normaly free to help
[/quote]
I might have to take you up on that offer if I can’t figure this stuff out soon. xD

1 Like

no problem, i know gimp is a picture editor and i’m guessing inkscape is too, i personally use creative clouds photoshop its fairly cheap and u get alot more.

1 Like

Inkscape is actually a vector graphic editor, however its often really confusing to me.[quote=“moondrixx_01, post:49, topic:4782”]
creative clouds photoshop
[/quote]
Isn’t that like $19 a month for one app for students now? I don’t understand this membership crap adobe started.

1 Like

is this yet another version of the Photoshop tool? its getting hard to keep up with all the changes coming from Adobe…

i pay $50 a month for the whole suite. compared with the $1000 for a commercial version of Photoshop, id say its worth it. it also comes with nice cloud storage.

edit: just seen students get 50% off that, for those in Australia thats $25 a month for all of there CC stuff,

For a poor college student I can’t even afford that lol

I did finally make something semi decent. First attempt:
Perspective is a little off, but i made it with the Google Drawing app. lmao

3 Likes

Concerning perspective:
Try to make parallel lines (copy-paste is your friend). Similar to technical drawing. I hope this image explains it better. Red lines are all at the same angle, and blue lines idem (well, they are supposed to, I draw them after the black sketch :confused: ). Although you have to position correctly the several parts to look balanced.

(I posted this because I died seeing those chair legs x_x )

4 Likes

Very helpful, thanks! (My one highschool art class i took like 5 years ago has failed me) :smile:
The cube tool in Google Draw doesn’t give many editing options so I’ll have to go back and create them by hand. I only spent like 20mins messing around with the program for the first time and made this so I’m impressed. haha

3 Likes

You guys are definitely on the right track! :slight_smile: If you look at the stuff in the stockpile icons, you can see that everything is drawn from roughly that perspective too–top down, 2 pt perspective. Real 2-point perspective has the lines get closer to each other as they recede from the foreground, but for icons, this is probably too much detail.

2 Likes

Thank you voxel_pirate for making this tutorial, I just got my first crafted item working! (still trying to get the proxy working though flubed something somewhere…)

Would post pictures but still a newbie :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice to hear that this is of use… just trying to understand what is all required to implement a new profession. Maybe that will be the next “tutorial” :wink:.

1 Like

here we go!
The big tree is a banner replacement (Epic Norse embark with a Seed from Yggdrasil!) and the pillars are a carpenter new item entry.

5 Likes

I like the idea of a huge tree as some kind of indication of your starting position…

1 Like